Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 12:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Non-existence
RE: Non-existence
(August 11, 2009 at 2:34 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: No. The solipsist acknowledges the existence of conscious experience, and nothing more. He does not make the leap of faith that the conscious experience represents an independent reality outside of the conscious experience in the mind itself.

It doesn't matter what the solipsist believes ... in order for either a virtual or dreamed universe to exist it must involve further layers of complexity therefore it is entirely reasonable to say that the assumption of a physical (real) universe is a more realistic proposition and therefore any claim otherwise is the EXTRAORDINARY claim and requires EXTRAORDINARY supporting evidence i.e. the two views ARE NOT equal!

(August 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm)Jon Paul Wrote:
(August 11, 2009 at 3:15 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: A mind which must support ITSELF in addition to hosting the entire universal scenario ... it is therefore MORE COMPLEX than the base assumption of a physical universe!
The mind does not contain conscious experience of the entire universal scenario. Anything that falls outside the conscious experience of the mind does not exist, for the solipsist, since all that exists is the conscious experience of the mind.

If I don't consider your argument valid, why would I consider the stupidity of the solipsist argument in any way relevant?

(August 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: The sense data of the mind, even if it was much larger than it is, will always be lessser and less complex than an actually existing reality, since sense data contains and records less than actually exists according to realism.

No, it wont for reasons already given.

(August 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: You say a mind which supports itself, which is again metaontology and metaphysics, that speculates as to the ontogenesis of the mind, and why the mind is. But the only object of ontology is that which is, and the mind is. Just like the natural world exists, and there is no reason why it exists which is is not itself a part of the reality of the natural world (for the naturalist), there is no reason why the mind exists, which is not itself a part of the reality that the mind exists (for the solipsist) since that is all he affirms in existence at all.

No it is not meta-ontology and metaphysics ... it is straight forward logic and reason.

There is no reason why our minds exist? Yes there is ... they evolved as a function of the spare "computing" power of our brains and became evolutionarily useful. Although I accept there is a lot to be learned about that and how it happened there certainly is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to suggest that mind exist independently of body, brain or physical supporting infrastructure.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: It doesn't matter what the solipsist believes
It does matter what the solipsist believes to how much complexity the solipsistic worldview contains and proposes.
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: in order for either a virtual or dreamed universe to exist it must involve further layers of complexity
The solipsist acknowledges the ontological reality of the mind, and it's conscious experience of sense-data. Nothing more.

The realist acknowledges the ontological reality of the mind. Just like the solipsist. Only, he also acknowledges the ontological reality of another 100 billion minds plus an indefinite number of ontological articles existing independently of the mind.
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: therefore it is entirely reasonable to say that the assumption of a physical (real) universe is a more realistic proposition and therefore any claim otherwise is the EXTRAORDINARY claim and requires EXTRAORDINARY supporting evidence i.e. the two views ARE NOT equal!
You have given no real reasons to think that solipsism proposes more complexity than realism. You have only asserted that it does. You have confounded it with the metaontological proposition of a "virtual reality simulation" which affirms the ontological reality of something other than conscious experience wholly unlike solipsism.
The people who are the most bigoted are the people who have no convictions at all.
-G. K. Chesterton
Dagda,
To ask someone why they think the world is real is a very clever ploy. Since we can prove that our brains our constantly creating the illusion or map of reality so that we can function in the world, you are asking someone to explain reality from the perspective of their illusion maker. This makes it quite convenient for you to smash their response as an illusion so that YOUR truths can easily triumph.
The fact is the park is there, but every creature, down to the bacteria, senses it differently. Every living organism on this rock senses. We humans sense, we run our senses through our chemical analog computers, resulting in thoughts, feelings, and subsequent behaviors related to parks.
One person may have loved parks as a child and so they run to the swings and start swinging. Another person may have been molested in a park as a child and chooses not to enter the park at all.
Their RESPONSES to the park are based in the experience of their illusion makers, absolutely. However, through and through the park is still there and full of life-all life experiencing the park from their senses. So much so that a blind person could walk into the park and tell you that they are in a park. The only way the park would take on an optical illusion would be if the viewer had never seen a park before-then the chemical analog computer would take the closest background information it has to parks and offer up that illusion to give it's body and identity a sense of self so that it may continue to exist in a new environment.
Peace In
Omjag86
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Frisbeetarianism; The belief that when you die your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck...
George Carlin
ROFLOL
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No it is not meta-ontology and metaphysics ... it is straight forward logic and reason.
It is meta-ontology because you are speculating beyond the fact of being into the evolution of being, and already proposing more ontological complexity and extensiveness than a solipsist.
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: There is no reason why our minds exist? Yes there is ... they evolved as a function of the spare "computing" power of our brains and became evolutionarily useful. Although I accept there is a lot to be learned about that and how it happened there certainly is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to suggest that mind exist independently of body, brain or physical supporting infrastructure.
Again, all those things are metaontological deductions about the ontogenesis of your own mind based on the very sense-data that the solipsist believe makes up the only existing ontological reality, which don't exist independently of the mind, but only in the conscious experience of the mind.
The people who are the most bigoted are the people who have no convictions at all.
-G. K. Chesterton
(August 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: The conscious experience of sense data is the only system there is, and that is not really a system but the ontological fact of the mind.

So let me get this straight. The mind exists, and that which it experiences is itself the mind and not a part of the mind nor a system within the mind?

Thinking
Luke,

If I have it right, there are no interactions in solipsist reality. The "experiences" are creations of the mind, not interactions between the mind and other things.

Rhizo
(August 11, 2009 at 3:38 pm)Jon Paul Wrote:
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: It doesn't matter what the solipsist believes
It does matter what the solipsist believes to how much complexity the solipsistic worldview contains and proposes.

No, it doesn't because I am not arguing what the solipsist believes I am arguing that a universe that is virtual or dreamed involves more complexity than one that is real.

(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: in order for either a virtual or dreamed universe to exist it must involve further layers of complexity
The solipsist acknowledges the ontological reality of the mind, and it's conscious experience of sense-data. Nothing more.

I couldn't care less what some whacked up bunch of nutfuckers believe!

(August 11, 2009 at 3:38 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: The realist acknowledges the ontological reality of the mind. Just like the solipsist. Only, he also acknowledges the ontological reality of another 100 billion minds plus an indefinite number of ontological articles existing independently of the mind.

No, the realist acknowledge reality! Using phrases such as "ontological reality" is just jumped up metaphysical hyper-bollocks ... it is utterly unnecessary to the conversation (as evidenced by the fact that it wasn't necessary before in this particular piece of the conversation) and I suspect you use them as something to retreat behind, an attempt to confuse your opponents by ducking behind philosophical complexities and language!

(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: therefore it is entirely reasonable to say that the assumption of a physical (real) universe is a more realistic proposition and therefore any claim otherwise is the EXTRAORDINARY claim and requires EXTRAORDINARY supporting evidence i.e. the two views ARE NOT equal!
You have given no real reasons to think that solipsism proposes more complexity than realism. You have only asserted that it does. You have confounded it with the metaontological proposition of a "virtual reality simulation" which affirms the ontological reality of something other than conscious experience wholly unlike solipsism.

Stop with the fucking solipsism ... I repeat that I couldn't care less what some whacked up bunch of nutfuckers believe!

(August 11, 2009 at 3:40 pm)Jon Paul Wrote:
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No it is not meta-ontology and metaphysics ... it is straight forward logic and reason.
It is meta-ontology because you are speculating beyond the fact of being into the evolution of being, and already proposing more ontological complexity and extensiveness than a solipsist.

No, it is not ... it is straight forward logic and reason!

(August 11, 2009 at 3:40 pm)Jon Paul Wrote:
(August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: There is no reason why our minds exist? Yes there is ... they evolved as a function of the spare "computing" power of our brains and became evolutionarily useful. Although I accept there is a lot to be learned about that and how it happened there certainly is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to suggest that mind exist independently of body, brain or physical supporting infrastructure.
Again, all those things are metaontological deductions about the ontogenesis of your own mind based on the very sense-data that the solipsist believe makes up the only existing ontological reality, which don't exist independently of the mind, but only in the conscious experience of the mind.

No they are not ... they are based purely on observations made by medics/scientists over long periods of time!

You know you can carry on this stupid word game all you want but I will not play ... your philosophy (specifically your metaphysical and meta-ontological crap) is bollocks and I will continue to consider it so until such time as you meet the challenge I have already set you! Meet that successfully and I will play your game, until then give us a break!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No, it doesn't because I am not arguing what the solipsist believes I am arguing that a universe that is virtual or dreamed involves more complexity than one that is real.
That's fine. But that doesn't address solipsism, since that is not solipsism, and as a consequence, you are refuting the simplicity of an ontology which is not solipsistic, and as a consequence, you fail to refute the simplicity of solipsism.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I couldn't care less what some whacked up bunch of nutfuckers believe!
The concern is not the solipsists, but rather how we know they are wrong, which is the only important issue here.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No, the realist acknowledge reality! Using phrases such as "ontological reality" is just jumped up metaphysical hyper-bollocks ... it is utterly unnecessary to the conversation (as evidenced by the fact that it wasn't necessary before in this particular piece of the conversation) and I suspect you use them as something to retreat behind, an attempt to confuse your opponents by ducking behind philosophical complexities and language!
I certainly don't. Solipsism is a claim with ontological and epistemological implications, just like realism. Ontology is the study of the nature of being, and epistemology is the study of the nature of knowing. Now there's nothing you don't know.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: You know you can carry on this stupid word game all you want but I will not play ... your philosophy (specifically your metaphysical and meta-ontological crap) is bollocks and I will continue to consider it so until such time as you meet the challenge I have already set you! Meet that successfully and I will play your game, until then give us a break!
Right, and I will ignore you until you come up with real arguments instead of complaints over words you don't like.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm)LukeMC Wrote: So let me get this straight. The mind exists, and that which it experiences is itself the mind and not a part of the mind nor a system within the mind?
The mind exists, and the mind is the reality and entity which contains all conscious experience and sense-data which is consciously experienced. Nothing is known to exist except the mind.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: If I have it right, there are no interactions in solipsist reality.
You are exactly right that there are no interactions, because there is nothing to interact with. The only existing thing is the mind.
-G. K. Chesterton
(August 11, 2009 at 4:28 pm)Jon Paul Wrote: The mind exists, and the mind is the reality and entity which contains all conscious experience and sense-data which is consciously experienced. Nothing is known to exist except the mind

That which is consciously experienced must exist in some form. If it doesn't exist then what IS conscious experience? How can you even verify that you have a mind if you cannot verify that your mind actually does enough to be considering "existing"? That which is experienced can be known to exist because if it didn't exist in any form then it wouldn't be experienced and there would be no conscious experience of anything and no reason to believe a mind exists.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:55 pm)LukeMC Wrote: That which is consciously experienced must exist in some form.
It does exist, as conscious experience in the mind. I never said it doesn't exist. I said that the solipsist makes no leap of faith to the idea that the conscious experience in his mind represents a reality that exists independently, outside of the mind. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, in his mind, exactly as conscious experience of sense-data. It means that that sense-data does not represent a reality outside of the mind.
(August 11, 2009 at 4:55 pm)LukeMC Wrote: If it doesn't exist then what IS conscious experience? How can you even verify that you have a mind if you cannot verify that your mind actually does enough to be considering "existing"?
It is verifiable in that you consciously experience it, which also happens to be the prerequisite for calling yourself a mind.
-G. K. Chesterton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3279 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1999 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 11484 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6903 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 54709 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17891 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2978 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 26112 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 18290 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 81239 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda