Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous People Who Mocked God and Died
RE: Famous People Who Mocked God and Died
(April 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm)Gilligan Wrote: This one wasn't famous:

"When I was a teenage boy, our SBC church was holding a revival. One of the girls who was kind of a loose party girl in town promised that she would come... she skipped all of the services, but finally agreed that she would come on the final night of the revival. On the way to the revival she and another girl, who was the older sister to a classmate of mine, were involved in an automobile accident. My classmate's sister was in a coma for a period of time, the other girl died instantly. What are the odds that this girl would die on her way to a revival that she had been skipping all week? Would she had died that night if she would have been out partying instead? Who can say for sure...

There is no guarantee that she would have gotten saved the night she died, but it was a tragic irony. "

The moral I got from this story is don't go to the church revival. Seriously though, why did God kill her for not going to the church sermons? Since when is not showing up for something a sin?
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
(April 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
Gilligan Wrote:How do you explain the timing between the mocking and the death. John Lennon would be an exception in these because it was fourteen years, but the others were only HOURS, DAYS, or WEEKS at the most.

Coincidence. In fact, if we were to statically analyze when people mocked god and when they died, I guarantee you there would be no correlation showing the mocking had any influence on their death. We could do an experiment here...your god is a dick. Now how long do I have to live before it is conclusive proof that my statement will not affect my time of death?

"Coincidence" is the copout word people use to explain away things they don't want to face.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Well, I'll have to face it now, won't I?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm)Gilligan Wrote: "Coincidence" is the copout word people use to explain away things they don't want to face.

No, that is what religion is for. "Coincidence" means no relation.
(April 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm)Gilligan Wrote: "Give me a glass of the wrath of God." The bartender turned him out something in the usual way, and he drank it and instantly fell dead upon the floor! A powerful impression was made upon the young men of that place, and the event is remembered there yet with fear and dread."

So what does a homicidal bartender have to do with anything?
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

(April 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote:
(April 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm)Gilligan Wrote: "Coincidence" is the copout word people use to explain away things they don't want to face.

No, that is what religion is for. "Coincidence" means no relation.
(April 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm)Gilligan Wrote: "Give me a glass of the wrath of God." The bartender turned him out something in the usual way, and he drank it and instantly fell dead upon the floor! A powerful impression was made upon the young men of that place, and the event is remembered there yet with fear and dread."

So what does a homicidal bartender have to do with anything?

The bartender didn't do it.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Again, this whole discussion is pointless.

List of people who have or have not mocked God before 1896 and died:
Everyone

(April 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm)Gilligan Wrote: Just saying that putting off salvation is dangerous.
I've not yet heard any reason for needing salvation.

(April 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm)Gilligan Wrote: Wouldn't the timing suggest a connection?
Only if you look at the small subset you presented us with. You are committing the fallacy of incomplete evidence (i.e. cherry picking). In statistics, you cannot just look at the small number of events that support your hypothesis, you must look at them all, including the ones that do not support your hypothesis. Unfortunately for you, there are far more examples of both famous and non-famous people mocking God and living very long and fulfilling lives, only to die of perfectly natural causes.
(April 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm)Gilligan Wrote: The bartender didn't do it.

Prove it.

(April 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote:

Prove it.

That's easy. If the bartender didn't do it, and nobody else could have done it, then obviously God must have done it. Otherwise the whole story and the moral lesson it's meant to teach falls apart. Since the story has to remain intact regardless, this proves the bartender didn't do it.

(NB - This is heavy irony.)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote:

Prove it.

Why would the bartender want to kill his own customer?
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 599 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 11429 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 70869 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Why is it okay when God kills people? Cecelia 107 28141 May 19, 2017 at 9:11 am
Last Post: SteveII
  What if Jesus died for his own sins? Nihilist Virus 32 5831 August 27, 2016 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  God said People who have Flat Noses Canot Serve Him Rhondazvous 177 21734 May 3, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6327 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 7769 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich
  What Happened to the Non Jews Who Died Before Jesus Came? Nope 66 14611 March 30, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  God won't save you because of gay people. Foxaèr 16 3844 December 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Faith No More