Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same sex marriage
RE: Same sex marriage
No you weren't. I asked you to provide definitions that showed that marriage was primarily concerned with procreation, in fact. The UK Law one didn't, and the Catholic Church one is biased for reasons already mentioned.
(May 14, 2012 at 11:10 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: The state church of the UK, the target of this thread, is the Church of England
The Church of England is the officially established Christian church in England. There is no state church of the UK because the United Kingdom is formed by the union of said country with previously independent states, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Thanks to disestablishmentarianism movements in the 19th century, secularism in the UK is at best ambiguous.

Quote:Church of England are pro-samesex marriage.
When and where did you learn this?
It's okay to be Takei
Something to chew on:

[Image: 534284_455016191194506_205344452828349_1...0460_n.jpg]

(H-T George Takei. Yes, Sulu himself.)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: It's okay to be Takei
(May 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Something to chew on:

I imagine it will look quite silly later. Really that sign at the top left could have just as easily once read "ONE MAN, ONE VOTE".
(May 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Something to chew on:

[Image: 534284_455016191194506_205344452828349_1...0460_n.jpg]

(H-T George Takei. Yes, Sulu himself.)

Only if they really were a "race" themselves, they would have looked rather reasonable in my eyes.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Did you hear a whistling sound as the point went sailing right over your head?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Only if they really were a "race" themselves, they would have looked rather reasonable in my eyes.

...and to spell out the point,for StarCrux & mehmet's benefit is that racism & sexism are not being battled by new legal definitions of race or gender but by ending the hypocrisy with which legislation is formulated. A stronger argument for the end of 'legal' marriage has never been made.

StarCrux, there's no slippery slope here, just equal rights to all consenting adults.

kılıç_mehmet, the battle against racism is an anaolgy. The point is the battle for equal civil rights.
Sum ergo sum
It seems to me that telling people what they can and cannot do with their sexual organs with another consenting person is entirely stupid, leave the homosexuals be, I intend to be married soon and I don't see it as a union before god so I don't think it can be fair to impose on others your own view of a certain ceremony. If i was told that, in being an atheist, I was not allowed a wedding I'd be fucked off, it's not in the rights of others to usurp that decision.
(May 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm)Ben Davis Wrote:
(May 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Only if they really were a "race" themselves, they would have looked rather reasonable in my eyes.

...and to spell out the point,for StarCrux & mehmet's benefit is that racism & sexism are not being battled by new legal definitions of race or gender but by ending the hypocrisy with which legislation is formulated. A stronger argument for the end of 'legal' marriage has never been made.

StarCrux, there's no slippery slope here, just equal rights to all consenting adults.

kılıç_mehmet, the battle against racism is an anaolgy. The point is the battle for equal civil rights.

Well, civil rights is another thing. I do not oppose the right of people of two different races being together. I just oppose the concept for my own people. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do the same.

Quote:It seems to me that telling people what they can and cannot do with their sexual organs with another consenting person is entirely stupid, leave the homosexuals be, I intend to be married soon and I don't see it as a union before god so I don't think it can be fair to impose on others your own view of a certain ceremony. If i was told that, in being an atheist, I was not allowed a wedding I'd be fucked off, it's not in the rights of others to usurp that decision.
As I said, marriage in my country is always a secular institution and is done by civil servants. Yet it's still marriage.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 21, 2012 at 3:21 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Well, civil rights is another thing. I do not oppose the right of people of two different races being together. I just oppose the concept for my own people. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do the same.

That's just it, it's not 'another' thing, it's the same thing. The right of anyone to marry/not to marry and be treated equally under law is a civil rights issue just as the right to equal & undiscriminatory legal treatment irrespective of ethnicity is a civil rights issue; just as the right to equal consideration under law for all genders is a civil rights issue; just as the right to be treated equally irrespective of one's religion or lack thereof is a civil rights issue.

To oppose the concept is to oppose the civil rights movement and the basic premise that everyone should have equal rights. Is that really the position you hold?

Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a kink to have sex with certain atheist tribes? Woah0 5 788 September 11, 2022 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  a new atheist and marriage Thegoodatheist 70 11579 August 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 26289 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Would you have sex with a Christian fundamentalist? Jehanne 110 15598 February 2, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: GodCherry
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 18001 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Anti gay-marriage atheist?? Catholic_Lady 154 24623 September 9, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  People are essentially the same TheoneandonlytrueGod 4 1416 April 25, 2015 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Are Nonreligious Organizations Able to Provide the Same Services as Churches? Nope 22 5911 March 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Charlie Brooker on Gay Marriage pop_punks_not_dead 4 2098 December 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Atheists and marriage Owlix 45 8034 November 9, 2013 at 7:09 am
Last Post: T.J.