Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does atheism inspire people?
RE: Does atheism inspire people?
You know StatCrux, I think you're missing an very essential point here regarding inspiration. Being atheist does not mean incapability of fantasizing and imagination. It just means knowing where to draw the line between the real and the imaginary.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 31, 2012 at 8:28 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 8:20 am)Mosrhun Wrote: Natural Selection advances life, it doesn't create it. Abiogenesis is a creative process.

So your alternative creation is non-creative, well done. Now explain the exact process of abiogenesis to me..Remember you are the one who said evolution is an alternative to creation, which you now admit is not a creative process, now you have said abiogenesis which you are about to explain how that works exactly, yes?

Do you have quantative evidence for your god?

Yes or no?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(May 31, 2012 at 8:29 am)Kayenneh Wrote: You know StatCrux, I think you're missing an very essential point here regarding inspiration. Being atheist does not mean incapability of fantasizing and imagination. It just means knowing where to draw the line between the real and the imaginary.

Wow they're really racking up, these words I've never said "incapability" nope never said that...

(May 31, 2012 at 8:32 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 8:28 am)StatCrux Wrote: So your alternative creation is non-creative, well done. Now explain the exact process of abiogenesis to me..Remember you are the one who said evolution is an alternative to creation, which you now admit is not a creative process, now you have said abiogenesis which you are about to explain how that works exactly, yes?

Do you have quantative evidence for your god?

Yes or no?

Is existence defined only by quantitative evidence? Ever heard the expression "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
StaCrux Wrote:Look stay on track, just the basics first. If you say life has "no meaning" objective or otherwise, the original argument was "no meaning" objective or subjective was not mentioned. You cannot then create your own meaning without being delusional, to create a meaning when you have just stated there isn't one is contradictory. If you then "believe" your own meaning that is faith in your own self admittedly delusion. Just stick with this, can you have meaning and no meaning at the same time? Yes or No?

This is how it goes. Atheists do not believe in an inherent, objective meaning to life . We do believe that we can figure out our purpose through analizying our lives to determine what makes us happy as long as it doesn't hurt others. This is not dilusional since we reject that life itself has any inherent meaning, but it has left us to our own devices to individually decide what our purpose for living is. Mine are: my son, my wife, writing, listening to music, helping others suffeing from depression.

So life, as a whole, is meaningless. But the individual may create meaning for themselves.

Atheism doesn' mean our lives have no meaning. It means we don't get our meaning handed to us on a silver platter by an invisible father figure.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 31, 2012 at 8:34 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 8:29 am)Kayenneh Wrote: You know StatCrux, I think you're missing an very essential point here regarding inspiration. Being atheist does not mean incapability of fantasizing and imagination. It just means knowing where to draw the line between the real and the imaginary.

Wow they're really racking up, these words I've never said "incapability" nope never said that...

(May 31, 2012 at 8:32 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Do you have quantative evidence for your god?

Yes or no?

Is existence defined only by quantitative evidence? Ever heard the expression "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

Yes I have.

Now are you going to answer the question?
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(May 31, 2012 at 8:20 am)Ace Otana Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 8:19 am)StatCrux Wrote: What's more ironic is that is my point, at least we admit its faith, you don't. I'm perfectly aware of it, you've just agreed with my point and refused to accept it when applied to atheism...

Atheism simply means without theism. Where does the faith bit come in?

Because atheists "create" their own meaning for life (as attested to in this thread) if they believe this created meaning, that is faith. You replace belief in God with belief in your own created meaning, essentially you place yourself in the position of God, precisely what the Lucifer story warns us of doing. Christians admit they have faith, atheists won't admit it.
(May 31, 2012 at 8:49 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 8:20 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Atheism simply means without theism. Where does the faith bit come in?

Because atheists "create" their own meaning for life (as attested to in this thread) if they believe this created meaning, that is faith. You replace belief in God with belief in your own created meaning, essentially you place yourself in the position of God, precisely what the Lucifer story warns us of doing. Christians admit they have faith, atheists won't admit it.

No answer?

No fucking surprise.
(May 31, 2012 at 6:13 am)StatCrux Wrote: Christianity and religion have inspired great works of art, poetry and literature.

No they haven't. I can be argued that the only people who were wealthy enough to PAY for works of Art, Literature and Poetry WERE religion...in particular the Roman Catholic Church. aka "make it Religious and deifying my belief system or a0 you don't gwet paid b) You get thrown into prison or c) you get burned for a heretic. ..... either way you ARE DEAD!

(May 31, 2012 at 6:13 am)StatCrux Wrote: Is there any evidence of atheism inspiring anyone to create anything?

You are looking at it...it is called the Internet. der! Undecided

(May 31, 2012 at 6:13 am)StatCrux Wrote: Even if religion or belief in God are delusional the power to inspire people to great things is unquestionable.

Certainly, so NOW you are saying that misogyny, hatred, abuse, mental and physical persecution.... not to mention the elitist attitude that you claim by "praying" to some non-existent entity that ALLOWS you to feel privileged whilst thousands suffer because of your ineptitude and inaction... this is great??

(May 31, 2012 at 6:13 am)StatCrux Wrote: I can't think of any poetry, art, music or literature inspired by atheism..

Because you don't want to..this is part and parcel of your "Bully boy" attitude, your elitism and the perpetuation of YOU being "Special" in your own eyes.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 8:34 am)StatCrux Wrote: Wow they're really racking up, these words I've never said "incapability" nope never said that...

Yes I have.

Now are you going to answer the question?

Yes, the answer to the question is no. That doesn't show us anything though, it hasn't proved or disproved anything, a pointless question really.
I never said that evolution is an alternative to creation, I said it was an alternative to explaining the diversity of life. Before Evolution was theorized, it would be hard to imagine how all the species that populate this planet got here. DNA further solidifies evolution through natural selection. As for Abiogenesis, you can do your own reading into that. I am not a scientist. The point is, we have some evidence and you have none. Why would anyone in their right mind believe your nonsense?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 7274 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2497 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3683 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 9030 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 7106 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1359 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29162 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 8071 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to introduce people to Atheism? Veritas 24 5584 December 24, 2015 at 1:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 15444 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist