Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 4:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does atheism inspire people?
RE: Does atheism inspire people?
(May 31, 2012 at 9:13 am)Mosrhun Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 9:10 am)StatCrux Wrote: Thinking that's what it looks like to me..

I elaborated on what I meant, if it came across that way then my mistake. Please don't quote out of context.

ok heres the full quote

Quote:It gives an alternative to a creation scenario. With no alternative, god must have done it and therefore they are theists. Are you really that dense?

Seems to me its quite clear that you were saying evolution is an alternative to creation. Then when questioned you changed that to abiogenesis, still no explanation of how that process works though...
(May 31, 2012 at 9:18 am)StatCrux Wrote: Seems to me its quite clear that you were saying evolution is an alternative to creation. Then when questioned you changed that to abiogenesis, still no explanation of how that process works though...

Any evidence that god created the universe?

No?

Yet another fucking surprise.....
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I think the question makes sense when you talk about something in particular, like religion. Clearly it has inspired lots of art and much of it well thought of for a long time.

To ask if atheism has done the same is obtuse for all the reasons already given.

Perhaps you meant to ask, are atheists inspired to make artwork inspite of their lack of belief. The answer to that is emphatically yes. My wife is an artist and has work in major collections and museums all over the world. She was raised without religion and is still religion free but it seems to have been no impediment to her creativity or success.

Of course she hasn't been inspired by atheism because that merely describes what she is not, a theist. Like everyone else, she is inspired by what she is and is interested in .. at the moment that would be science. She is speaking today at the Renwick in D.C. about collaborative work she has been doing with neuro-scientists using brain imagery.

Have you ever been inspired to make art by coin collecting, mass transit or climatology? If not the reason probably has more to do with your lack of interest or involvement with those things than it does with their intrinsic inability to inspire art.
(May 31, 2012 at 9:20 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 9:18 am)StatCrux Wrote: Seems to me its quite clear that you were saying evolution is an alternative to creation. Then when questioned you changed that to abiogenesis, still no explanation of how that process works though...

Any evidence that god created the universe?

No?

God is self evident, axiomatic..your denying the fact doesn't change it.
(May 31, 2012 at 9:27 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 9:20 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Any evidence that god created the universe?

No?

Prove it
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I'm waiting StatCrux.
(May 31, 2012 at 9:37 am)Welsh cake Wrote: I'm waiting StatCrux.

We all are, I suggest you get a good book though.

We'll be waiting a while.
This was inspired by an atheist....

[Image: 380204_3477288684562_1041578266_3078699_...1210_n.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 31, 2012 at 9:27 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 9:20 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Any evidence that god created the universe?

No?

The last line of defense for any sense of self worth built upon a stinking pile of lies.
God has implanted knowledge of himself within every person, each individual has this knowledge, becoming aware of it is what differs from each individual. Some people deny it but are still aware of it. Some people don't relate it to what they understand from the term "God" this is because the term itself is misunderstood. But that awareness of something transcendent and numinous exists in all of us and is self evident to anyone who seeks it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 7274 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2497 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3683 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 9030 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 7106 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1359 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29162 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 8071 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to introduce people to Atheism? Veritas 24 5584 December 24, 2015 at 1:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 15444 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist