Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does atheism inspire people?
RE: Does atheism inspire people?
(May 31, 2012 at 5:51 pm)Shell B Wrote: You either believe that snakes can talk or you do not believe the Bible is the truth. It's one or the other, Mr. Crux.

You did ignore my statement, though. How do you reconcile your opinion that Christians are more likely to be creative with the fact that I am an artist, in multiple ways?

Oh wow, someone better think of something pretty fucking quick huh? :-P
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Quote:Orthodox

This is how you style yourself. I've known plenty of fundies who insist that every word in their poorly-written and even more poorly translated book of fairy tales is literally true.

So, out with it. Are you a literalist nut...or are you a cherry picker.
(May 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm)Hovik Wrote: No.

Thanks for proving my point.

If your point was that you have the reading comprehension of a first grader, then bravo.
[Image: hoviksig-1.png]
Ex Machina Libertas
(May 31, 2012 at 5:51 pm)Shell B Wrote: You either believe that snakes can talk or you do not believe the Bible is the truth. It's one or the other, Mr. Crux.

You did ignore my statement, though. How do you reconcile your opinion that Christians are more likely to be creative with the fact that I am an artist, in multiple ways?

I didn't realize that you were the authority on biblical interpretation, the Church has never had a solely literal interpretation of scripture, but I'm sure that you're intelligent enough to know this. The talking snake is a favorite of atheists despite them knowing that scripture is never interpreted only in a literal sense, it appeals to the enjoyment of insulting people so prevalent in atheists, its obviously not a serious argument, simply a childish insult. As to your second point, the fact that you may be artistic or creative doesn't affect the idea that in general atheists tend to be more analytical in nature rather than creative/artistic, you are one person, one person is not indicative of atheists in general.

(May 31, 2012 at 5:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Orthodox

This is how you style yourself. I've known plenty of fundies who insist that every word in their poorly-written and even more poorly translated book of fairy tales is literally true.

So, out with it. Are you a literalist nut...or are you a cherry picker.

I interpret scripture in accordance with tradition, taking into account context, literal meaning, metaphorical meaning etc
(May 31, 2012 at 10:29 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 10:13 am)Epimethean Wrote: Stat, religion has never "inspired" people. What has inspired people is imagination,

By the by, what great works has your theism inspired you to create?

Your imagination is what is inspired, imagination doesn't inspire. Your imagination needs inspiration. Ever heard the term "Inspires the imagination"

inspiration is not limited to works of art, we can be inspired to be altruistic good people through religion, or inspired to become better people, because ultimately our lives and actions do have meaning and purpose.

This is the typical bullshit line a theist will spout out when confronted with the concept of responsibility. We are what inspires us, as it is our imagination which allows it. Sorry you missed out when they handed that bit out, Pandora. Using a figurative expression to defend your absence of argumentation is further proof you are a poe. By the way, you are damned good at failing to answer anyone's questions, aren't you?
Trying to update my sig ...
(May 31, 2012 at 6:37 pm)Epimethean Wrote: This is the typical bullshit line a theist will spout out when confronted with the concept of responsibility. We are what inspires us, as it is our imagination which allows it. Sorry you missed out when they handed that bit out, Pandora. Using a figurative expression to defend your absence of argumentation is further proof you are a poe. By the way, you are damned good at failing to answer anyone's questions, aren't you?

Allows what? Our imagination allows what inspires us?? Are you saying our imagination allows inspiration? isn't inspiration what drives imagination, not the other way around, please clarify your statement. How can imagination allow inspiration?
(May 31, 2012 at 6:04 pm)Hovik Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm)Polaris Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.

If your point was that you have the reading comprehension of a first grader, then bravo.

Thank you for the double down.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:I interpret scripture in accordance with tradition, taking into account context, literal meaning, metaphorical meaning etc

Okay - a cherry picker. At least you were honest.
(May 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm)StatCrux Wrote: Allows what? Our imagination allows what inspires us?? Are you saying our imagination allows inspiration? isn't inspiration what drives imagination, not the other way around, please clarify your statement. How can imagination allow inspiration?

How about you answer my question-and a few others before you ask more of yours. You seem to think you are on to something profound. Many here have pointed out that your logic is utterly flawed, be it in the arts or sciences, so, bereft of a leg to stand on as you may be, you owe your audience some responses. Do your homework, poe.
Trying to update my sig ...
(May 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I interpret scripture in accordance with tradition, taking into account context, literal meaning, metaphorical meaning etc

Okay - a cherry picker. At least you were honest.

cherry picker, yes you atheists love to insult

(May 31, 2012 at 6:56 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Many here have pointed out that your logic is utterly flawed

really? please quote, insults don't constitute a logical argument btw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5851 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2176 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3311 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8570 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6467 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1308 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27932 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 7173 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to introduce people to Atheism? Veritas 24 5212 December 24, 2015 at 1:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 14458 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist