Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 2:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writings during the lifetime of Jesus?
RE: Writings during the lifetime of Jesus?
No, for this stuff:

(August 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm)catfish Wrote: For the first 4 centuries AD, the Romans did their best to suppress and persecute the early Christians in an attempt to stamp out the evidence.
From the 4th century on, the Romans had an agenda to collect and subsequently suppress all writings regarding the matter so that they could forge their own brand of neo-pagan/christian doctrine.

You don't get to just make shit up and call it a theory. You need to produce the evidence that any of this happened, not only as an historical event but "in an attempt to stamp out the evidence." Basic burden of proof. I can't believe you're actually this dense, though my position on that is open to change.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:For the first 4 centuries AD, the Romans did their best to suppress and persecute the early Christians in an attempt to stamp out the evidence.

The first empire wide "persecution" of xtians occurred in the mid-3d century under the emperor Decius.

http://www.tititudorancea.org/z/decius.htm

Quote:In January 250, Decius issued an edict for the suppression of Christianity. The edict itself was fairly clear:

While Decius himself may have intended the edict as a way to reaffirm his conservative vision of the Pax Romana and to reassure Rome's citizens that the empire was still secure, it nevertheless sparked a "terrible crisis of authority as various [Christian] bishops and their flocks reacted to it in different ways." Measures were first taken demanding that the bishops and officers of the church make a sacrifice for the Emperor, a matter of an oath of allegiance that Christians considered offensive. Certificates were issued to those who satisfied the pagan commissioners during the persecution of Christians under Decius. Forty-six such certificates have been published, all dating from 250, four of them from Oxyrhynchus. Christian followers who refused to offer a pagan sacrifice for the Emperor and the Empire's well-being by a specified date risked torture and execution. A number of prominent Christians did, in fact, refuse to make a sacrifice and were killed in the process including Pope Fabian himself in 250 and "anti-Christian feeling[s] led to pogroms at Carthage and Alexandria." In reality, however, towards the end of the second year of Decius' reign, "the ferocity of the [anti-Christian] persecution had eased off, and the earlier tradition of tolerance had begun to reassert itself." The Christian church though never forgot the reign of Decius whom they labelled as that "fierce tyrant".

If you can find an imperial edict prior to this by all means, let's see it.
(August 6, 2012 at 9:23 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yes, crusader, I'd like a citation. By the way, theres plenty of shit that your supposed to believe in "after he died". In fact, it's central to the damned narrative. But why bicker over that right? Cherry picking is in.

Sheeple believe every word, not me. I suppose you want me to believe what you dictate?

Matthew 27:24-26
King James Version (KJV)

24 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it.
25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.
26 Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.
Standard blood libel shit. You've mistranslated the verse (and ignored the source). Bravo.

You do realize, btw, that that verse is actually used to support the "mythical shit that happened after he died"...correct?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 6, 2012 at 11:32 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Standard blood libel shit. You've mistranslated the verse (and ignored the source). Bravo.

You do realize, btw, that that verse is actually used to support the "mythical shit that happened after he died"...correct?

ROFLOL

An antitheist claiming I mistranslated? What are you, a closet Christian?
No, just better educated on the subject than yourself, apparently. Let's be clear here, you offered this up as part of a theory, it's important that you know wtf you're talking about (if you want this "theory" to be taken seriously). It's important that your explanations are accurate. They aren't. Not about this verse, and not about roman antipathy towards christianity. So where does that leave us troll?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 6, 2012 at 11:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote: No, just better educated on the subject than yourself, apparently.

If that makes you feel better about yourself, roll with it.
Oh I do, but thanks for sanctioning it nevertheless. Did you have anything to add? Care to modify your theory?
(August 6, 2012 at 11:57 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Oh I do, but thanks for sanctioning it nevertheless. Did you have anything to add? Care to modify your theory?

Proverbs 14:15
King James Version (KJV)

15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
I'm sorry, does that verse turn ones mistakes into solid scholarship? Must be magic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 7545 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saints writings on Jews Fake Messiah 14 2597 December 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 19376 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 3309 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7399 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Digital Version of Greek Xtian Writings Minimalist 2 1420 September 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm
  Why does god say "No Sex" during prayer? Brakeman 34 9095 September 6, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  How did the writings of the NT come to be? pocaracas 88 22932 November 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm
  Demographics of Christianity in Our Lifetime? Xavier 2 1272 December 27, 2011 at 12:07 am
Last Post: helmespc
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7494 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm