Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writings during the lifetime of Jesus?
Writings during the lifetime of Jesus?
I'm sure this has been done before but I searched and couldn't find it. The following question is more than just a subject for debate to me, and I'm sure if you think about it the same applies to many of you. The whole Christian religion relies on the existence of Jesus. My ex (For the 50th time) is trying to keep me out of our unborn child's life because she believes in the existence of Jesus and his divinity, however, I have serious doubts. I'm sure many of you have found yourselves in similar scenarios where you have been judged as evil, immoral etc., whether it be with family, friends or work colleagues. We don't even have to be "disrespectful" of their beliefs either, we simply have to assert that we do not hold those beliefs.

So here is my question: Can anyone provide me with examples of people/writings that referenced Jesus, during his lifetime? Any priests, philosophers, leaders, scribes, will do.

My research so far suggests that not a single mention of Jesus was made during his lifetime. Now, the sources I have looked at so far all argue that Jesus did not exist. They state that all of the references after the supposed crucifixion are hearsay at best and complete forgeries at worst. What I want to read is a completely unbiased source that can actually back up its claims, and provide references to the exact writings so that I can read them in context. Who's up to the challenge?

I accept that the absence of such writings does not prove that Jesus did not exist, however, it would certainly ring alarm bells for me.
RE: Writings during the lifetime of Jesus?
When I discovered the same thing some years back I went to the Catholic Church for information. The best even they could come up with was fifty years after his alleged death.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
No contemporaries talked about him. The next best thing would be Paul himself I'm sure, but his spiritual revelations of Christ do more damage than good in the 'physical department'.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Who were the significant scholars of the day?
I'm pretty sure the term 'scholar' is from the 19th or 18th century onwards? Something like that, but it definitely didn't exist back in those days.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 4, 2012 at 7:49 am)Gambit Wrote: I'm sure this has been done before but I searched and couldn't find it. The following question is more than just a subject for debate to me, and I'm sure if you think about it the same applies to many of you. The whole Christian religion relies on the existence of Jesus. My ex (For the 50th time) is trying to keep me out of our unborn child's life because she believes in the existence of Jesus and his divinity, however, I have serious doubts. I'm sure many of you have found yourselves in similar scenarios where you have been judged as evil, immoral etc., whether it be with family, friends or work colleagues. We don't even have to be "disrespectful" of their beliefs either, we simply have to assert that we do not hold those beliefs.

So here is my question: Can anyone provide me with examples of people/writings that referenced Jesus, during his lifetime? Any priests, philosophers, leaders, scribes, will do.

My research so far suggests that not a single mention of Jesus was made during his lifetime. Now, the sources I have looked at so far all argue that Jesus did not exist. They state that all of the references after the supposed crucifixion are hearsay at best and complete forgeries at worst. What I want to read is a completely unbiased source that can actually back up its claims, and provide references to the exact writings so that I can read them in context. Who's up to the challenge?

I accept that the absence of such writings does not prove that Jesus did not exist, however, it would certainly ring alarm bells for me.

Yes, there are writings of both ancient pagan Roman historians and ancient Jewish rabbis that mention Jesus Christ by either by name, or title. I'll look them up and post Some of what I find.

Smile
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
Is it so much to ask that these fricken prophets could write their message down?

The true story told by Bruiser McDuff scrums, scrummage, broken noses, bits bitten off and spat out.
As related to Erudite Eric.

I get why Bruiser would have Eric tell his tale, Bruiser has real power and Eric won't dare cross him.
All the miracles and god can't bless his prophet with ability to use what passes for a pen in those benighted times.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
"...Nero fastened guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus [or Christ], from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty [or crucifixion] during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus... ."

(Tacitus, Annals 15.44)

Tacitus, of course was a pagan and no friend of Christianity.

"As the Jews were making constant disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus [or Christ], he expelled them from Rome."

(Suetoius, Life of Claudius 25.4)

Suetonius was another ancient pagan Roman historian who was anti- Christian.

"On the eve of Passover, Yeshu [or Jesus] was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy. Anyone who can say anything in his favor, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favor, he was hanged on the eve of Passover.

(Babylonian Talmud)

Notice that the ancient Jewish book does not deny that Jesus did miraculous things, but instead claims they were evil sorcery meant to dupe the people.

I will post more, if you are interested.

Smile
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
So, a passage for which we have no examples prior to the 11th century...and a passage that is entirely and utterly confused on the subject matter to begin with?

Seams rather weak. Do you think that the writers of any given text believing in magic actually means something, at least enough to make specific note of it? Perhaps you didn't know this..but once upon a time every tree had a dryad....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 4, 2012 at 10:15 am)Rhythm Wrote: So, a passage for which we have no examples prior to the 11th century...and a passage that is entirely and utterly confused on the subject matter to begin with?

Seams rather weak. Do you think that the writers of any given text believing in magic actually means something, at least enough to make specific note of it? Perhaps you didn't know this..but once upon a time every tree had a dryad....

Not to mention that even if authentic the referenced passages were not written during the time which would cover the life of Jebus. That was after all the original question....
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6510 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saints writings on Jews Fake Messiah 14 2478 December 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 17392 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 3005 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7234 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Digital Version of Greek Xtian Writings Minimalist 2 1402 September 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm
  Why does god say "No Sex" during prayer? Brakeman 34 8976 September 6, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  How did the writings of the NT come to be? pocaracas 88 21882 November 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm
  Demographics of Christianity in Our Lifetime? Xavier 2 1253 December 27, 2011 at 12:07 am
Last Post: helmespc
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7383 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm