Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 8:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media Endorsements of Presidential Candidates
RE: WashPo Endorses Obama; Detroit News Endorses Romney; Des Moines Register Dings Obama
Do people really pay attention to news papers enough that their endorsements really mean anything anymore?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: WashPo Endorses Obama; Detroit News Endorses Romney; Des Moines Register Dings Obama
(October 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Will you be doing this a lot? So far I see at least 5 threads by you that simply announce papers supporting candidates. Given the relative unimportance of this as "political news", and the fact that there are hundreds of papers, would you mind just having one thread which you update? I'd be happy to merge all the current threads into one for you.

Tiberius, it's your forum and I'll happily go along with whatever you think is best, but I don't think the presidential endorsements of major newspapers, two weeks before an election, are unimportant relative to anything. I understand however that given that my politics differ so widely from the vast majority of forum inhabitants that these posts might be particularly irritating. That is by design as my purpose is to try to crack the mono-meme mentality that I perceive to exist here, and among atheists generally.

BTW, how you like my banner? Too generic?
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
For those clutching at straws, every straw is monumentally important.
(October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Tino Wrote: I don't think the presidential endorsements of major newspapers, two weeks before an election, are unimportant relative to anything.
Right, and I'm not asking you to stop doing it; I'm asking you if you would kindly put them all in one thread, rather than create a single thread for each (or small groups of them).
Quote:I understand however that given that my politics differ so widely from the vast majority of forum inhabitants that these posts might be particularly irritating. That is by design as my purpose is to try to crack the mono-meme mentality that I perceive to exist here, and among atheists generally.
Actually, I don't find them irritating at all. You report on the newspapers that support Obama as well as Romney, so I have no objections of bias towards either candidate; my sole objection is that having a new thread for each seems a bit much. The subject is effectively the same: "X newspaper supports Obama/Romney". It would be like creating a thread each time someone won a medal at the Olympics, rather than just having a thread where you updated it with each win. After a while, it gets a little annoying; not because the content is particularly boring, but because it is too similar.

So yeah, if you could, can you create a generic "Media Support for Candidates" thread that you can update. I'll even make it stay at the top of the Politics forum for you.
Quote:BTW, how you like my banner? Too generic?
Not generic enough. Big Grin
(October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Tino Wrote: I don't think the presidential endorsements of major newspapers, two weeks before an election, are unimportant relative to anything.
I hardly think of The Detroit News as a "major" newspaper, along with several other newspapers you've pointed out. Dodgy

(October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Tino Wrote: BTW, how you like my banner? Too generic?
I like your banner. Wink
I imagine the main result will be lots of people cancelling their subscriptions.
(October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Tino Wrote: I understand however that given that my politics differ so widely from the vast majority of forum inhabitants that these posts might be particularly irritating.

No, it's not irritating. It's delightful. We take sadistic glee in viewing your vain struggles in between dining on christian babies. It builts up pleasurable anticipation for witnessing your abject dejection on the day after election.

Big Grin

(October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Tino Wrote: BTW, how you like my banner? Too generic?

No, there is too much specificity in the bar code.
Big Grin
The Washington Post is not even fit to be used as toilet paper.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

I love it because it's design-geeky. You should label the typeface you used... And the point size!
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Media Endorsements of Presidential Candidates
This is a thread to consolidate prior threads highlighting the endorsements of candidates.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 US Presidential Election Thumpalumpacus 1142 63393 June 1, 2024 at 11:07 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1660 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2311 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1044 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 1983 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
  It's obvious the MSM Media hasn't learned it's lesson from 2016 GODZILLA 11 930 June 21, 2019 at 9:03 am
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2598 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Does the media give too Trump too much attention GODZILLA 9 1361 October 21, 2018 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2501 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Does the media love mass shooting? Coveny 9 1341 February 24, 2018 at 3:12 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome