Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
Cool story, bro.

Jerkoff
(March 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I don't worry to much about politics; I know the King.

Elvis is dead, man.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Nah, he just went home.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 17, 2013 at 5:40 pm)jstrodel Wrote: [E]ducation is something deep and profoundly spiritual, not meant to serve the state and be used as a tool to coerce and subjugate the minds of free people to make them into pre-professional materialists with small minds and little imagination, courage or spirituality.

I knew there was a word for people like me. I just didn't know what it was.

Is it fair to say that we've wandered off the question of where atheists get their morals and onto a demonstration that knowing God is no guarantee of them either?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Contrary to popular belief, man, not god, developed moral reasoning.

Don't think so?

Then explain why moral reason has, like man, evolved?

200 years ago, the majority of the world (even the "godly religious" people) felt slavery was acceptable and not morally objectionable. Now, the opposite is true.

And that argument has literally thousands and thousands of other references.

A person's morals are based on a combination of elements:

Upbringing, the influence of society, social standards, personal preferences, etc.

Has religion influenced morals?

Yes and no. As I said, neither god, nor religion, are the orgin of morals, one way or the other. But religion has promoted, perpetuated, and even inforced moral standards both good and bad.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual to carefully examine all of the information available and decide what is truly right and wrong. Unfortunately, the vast majority of individuals do not choose to examine all of the information. And religion, more than any other force, influences such neglect and ignorance.
[Image: earthp.jpg]
(March 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm)jstrodel Wrote:
(March 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm)jrsm_10 Wrote: jstrodel wrote:
Thinking
It is unreasonable in so many ways. How should we do this? Let's give the race majority the last word in what ethnicity can go to school and who sits where. No wait! I think we have more women than men in the US, so women get to decide the gender of all our government officials. No wait! It doesn't work that way. It's called civilization. We protect ALL of our people. I agree to do this for you if you agree to do the same for me. I won't rob your house at night if you agree to not rob mine. I agree to not rape you if you agree to not rape me. I agree to not mix my religion in your child's education if you agree to not mix your religion in my child's education. Now that we agree to not mix it in, let's educate our children in everything else except religion (unless you plan to teach about every single religion to be fair). You get to go to church in your spare time as I get to... do something funner that you wouldn't like... in my spare time. YOU don't realize how authoritarian YOU are, Mr. jstodel.

I advocated for a modest restructuring of educational finance, permitting people to use their tax dollars to fund schools that are closer to what they believe.

The fact that you took what I said out of context and ran with it proves that you don't really care what I have to say.

It is not authoritarian to want people to be able to choose, for instance, whether they go to a school which indoctrinates people with a secular ideology that is against their religious beliefs or not.

Indeed! This is a great example of a straw-man. I'm all about debating religion, but lets do it logically people!!!

Quote:"If a man values his wife's virtue above her looks, serves his parents to the best of his ability,
is prepared to lay down his life for his lord and keeps his promises to his friends, I would judge
that he is most learned, though he may never have been to school."

— Zi Xia, Spring and Autumn Period

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Re: Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
On myself, the way I want to be treated as an individual sharing this pile of dirt. Then I aim to treat everyone in the same manner.
(March 18, 2013 at 4:20 am)smax Wrote: 200 years ago, the majority of the world (even the "godly religious" people) felt slavery was acceptable and not morally objectionable. Now, the opposite is true.
Thank you Wilber Wilberforce and Christian abolitionists.
(March 18, 2013 at 10:49 am)apophenia Wrote:
Quote:"If a man values his wife's virtue above her looks, serves his parents to the best of his ability,
is prepared to lay down his life for his lord and keeps his promises to his friends, I would judge
that he is most learned, though he may never have been to school."

— Zi Xia, Spring and Autumn Period

Early conservative appeals to nostalgia and statist propaganda..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 583 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2291 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4896 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11688 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4865 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2236 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4798 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9591 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27764 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Morals and Societal Whims InteresedUser 114 31300 May 25, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Bunburryist