Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 8:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
(March 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: God was fully aware that change would take a long time and advised people accordingly.

Oh, I dunno. The Bible tells of how the Egyptians held an entire nation as slaves, and god "advised" the daylights out of them and freed millions from bondage. That would be an excellent lesson on how god viewed slavery, except that the very people he freed from it had no issues continuing the practice with god's consent. Someone who could visit plagues upon a country, create a dry path across the sea, and then dump that sea on the heads of a pursuing army should not have had to wait for people to stop keeping slaves on their own.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: All your references relate to people who are already slaves. None of them are about turning free people into slaves.

"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Lay that aside for a moment, because it's not really all that interesting that you're horridly wrong. What is interesting, is that you felt compelled to imagine something else, specifically, that buying or owning a slave was not slavery - that somehow- as long as you didn't put the the shackles on yourself, it was kosher, it was diferrent. That's your humanity rising up in spite of your christianity. Congratulations.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Common sense
(March 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: God was fully aware that change would take a long time and advised people accordingly.

Yeah, because there's no way he could have changed that instantly or anything. It must suck being all-powerful and beyond time and still at its mercy.

Not to mention, he outright orders the murder of people for crimes far less serious than slavery, such as not worshiping him or picking up sticks on the sabbath. All throughout the Old Testament, God visits swift and disproportionate retribution for the silliest of infractions. He never shows any kind of understanding. The idea that 'it would take time' is absolutely alien to the impulsive tyrant of the Old Testament. At no point, anywhere in the Bible, is slavery mentioned as a negative practice, nor is it ever condemned by God. Instead, God practically gives Moses directions to Slavemart so he can make sure he gets all the slaves he wants.

It is an undeniable fact that God approves of, and explicitly encourages slavery.
(March 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: [quote='smax' pid='417673' dateline='1363749083']quote]Completely false. The Bible does not advocate slavery. No where does it say to go out and enslave others. It does however regulate an existing evil to make it more humane. Considering that over 1/3 of people in the ancient world were slaves, the practice wouldn't disappear over-night. God was fully aware that change would take a long time and advised people accordingly.

As with many controversial verses and subjects in the bible, the path of Christian apologists is to ASSUME a less likely yet far more socially acceptable interpretation of a matter that the bible has a very clear position on.

Let's examine the most compelling verses on the subject:

Exodus 21:20
If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

This verse alone defeats your entire argument. If god truly opposed slavery, he would not then refer to a slave as another person's property, unless it is also your position that god is subject to man's laws, perceptions, and social practices.

While we are on the subject of laws, this verse happens to be a legal decree from god.

With that in mind, is it your position that god watered down his own laws because he didn't believe in his own full authority over men? Was god incapable of inforcing his own preferences? So much so, in fact, that he was forced to allow beatings that may take several days to recover from?

There are other old testament verses which not only clearly advocate slavery, but also minimize the value of human life, such as Ex 21:32, Lev 22:10. But none more clearly advocate and even promote and encourage slavery moreso than the following:

Leviticus 25:44-46
As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness.

There you have it. Not only does god offer up people as slaves, but he entices the practice by pointing out the benefits and then clarifies that his own people (the Israelites) are to be treated far better under conditions of slavery.

In fact, while god advocates and encourages permanent and inherited slavery with non-hebrews, he calls for a more progressive form of slavery with hebrews, placing time limits and liberty benefits on their terms of slavery.

Nothing quite warms the heart and inspires civil practice so much as a god who advocates racially motivated and permanent slavery.

But wait, maybe he changed his mind after shedding his own blood, or that of his only son. There are certainly a few Christian apologists that offer that explanation. Sadly, they too are wrong and are exercising the same selective interpretation of scripture. Observe god's position post-new covenant:

Colossians 4:1
Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.

Ephesians 6:9
And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

Well, at least he wants the beatings to stop. That's something.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's clear that the bible advocates slavery. And the notion that god was a reluctant advocate who was simply trying to regulate it while secretly and progressively trying to rid humanity of the practice is ridiculous.

This paints god not only as cowardice, but also powerless and only slightly influencial over his own creation.

The truth is, god had nothing to do with it. Clearly Hebrew men made the laws to serve their own self interests, which explains the extremely racist and completely insensitive perspective of the old testament position on the matter.

There is no other reasonable explanation.
[Image: earthp.jpg]
(March 23, 2013 at 3:56 am)smax Wrote: The truth is, god had nothing to do with it. Clearly Hebrew men made the laws to serve their own self interests, which explains the extremely racist and completely insensitive perspective of the old testament position on the matter.

What the fuck then? You just nullified your diatribe against god there... Undecided
(March 23, 2013 at 4:05 am)catfish Wrote:
(March 23, 2013 at 3:56 am)smax Wrote: The truth is, god had nothing to do with it. Clearly Hebrew men made the laws to serve their own self interests, which explains the extremely racist and completely insensitive perspective of the old testament position on the matter.

What the fuck then? You just nullified your diatribe against god there... Undecided

Not really. Those that believe are bound to this slavery condoning god, but it's our position that he's fictional anyway. Nothing's nullified; the book was written by ancient people who wanted things their way, but the morality of the god character, though fictional is still questionable enough that it makes one's head tilt to realize people worship it.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 23, 2013 at 4:05 am)catfish Wrote: What the fuck then? You just nullified your diatribe against god there... Undecided

Except that it wasn't against god, it was against the bible. One doesn't attack the invention, one attacks the inventor.
(March 23, 2013 at 5:24 am)smax Wrote:
(March 23, 2013 at 4:05 am)catfish Wrote: What the fuck then? You just nullified your diatribe against god there... Undecided

Except that it wasn't against god, it was against the bible. One doesn't attack the invention, one attacks the inventor.

The Bible didn't invent anything... Undecided
(March 23, 2013 at 5:32 am)catfish Wrote: The Bible didn't invent anything... Undecided

In a way, I agree. The bible is mostly a collection of slightly modified plagiarisms of other cultures stories and myths.

So, in a sense, you are correct. The bible didn't invent anything truly original.

However, the Hebrews did re-invent god in their writings as someone who cared only about their culture and cause.

In that sense, you are incorrect about the bible and invention.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 587 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2308 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 5004 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11746 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4903 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2253 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4910 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9686 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27840 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Morals and Societal Whims InteresedUser 114 31571 May 25, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Bunburryist