Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 7:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and religion
RE: Science and religion
(March 24, 2013 at 12:34 am)Mr Infidel Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 12:32 am)jstrodel Wrote: There is your proof.

Ray Comfort wanna-be, the word proof does not mean what you think it does.

Indeed. Notably, he demands much more from us than he is willing to deliver himself.

P.S. @jstrodel - fuck you. You know nothing about me. Assume all you want and wallow in your piety. It won't stop you from being dead-ass fucking wrong. You have FAILED, utterly failed, in demonstrating that your belief is anything but your belief.
(March 24, 2013 at 12:34 am)Mr Infidel Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 12:32 am)jstrodel Wrote: There is your proof.

Ray Comfort wanna-be, the word proof does not mean what you think it does.

Who defined the word proof? Have historians and paleontologists discovered an ancient religious text that defined the word proof? How did that happen?

Who invented the dictionary?

This is where I get to the issue of being a psuedo-intellectual. An intellectual would realize that the word proof has many different sense and is culturally defined and it varies context to context. Perhaps they would argue for one sense of proof, based on a thorough investigation of philosophy and science and religion and many other related issues. This would not be easy to do.

A psuedo-intellectual would understand the term proof to have some sort of fixed definition that refers to atheist apologetics.

I wish that I could disabuse you of your psuedo-intellectual atheism, but I can't if you won't admit it or defend it.
(March 24, 2013 at 12:36 am)jstrodel Wrote: Put it in formal logic. You will get something like this:

1. This person claims to have experience God
2. if someone claims to experience God because God does not exist, they are hallucinating
3. This person is hallucinating (MP 1,2)

That is about as logical as it gets. You are presupposing that God does not exist in order to justify describing my behavior as hallucinating.

Well, yeah. It's rational to assume that god does not exist, since no one can produce evidence for his existence, including the people who claim to "experience him." So far, the number of people who claim to have experienced god and were imagining the whole thing is 100%. The number who have been able to verify to anyone else that they did is 0%.

That's pretty logical to me.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote:jstrodel Wrote:
No you didn't. You never lived a holy life.

OH MY GOD do you just say this when you meet anyone, anywhere, all the time?
Cuz, it seems like you do.
I can't turn around without you telling this to someone.

Jesus fucking christ.

You might just be the first person to make it to my ban list! Congratulations, douchebag.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(March 24, 2013 at 12:38 am)jstrodel Wrote: Who defined the word proof?

Do you always rebut in the form of a question in order to not answer the question you are asked? You do realize this is one of the reasons why the forum members lose their cool and curse at you. I will never curse, but that does not mean I think you are any less ignorant for your lack of proper concept of debate. You continually ignore common sense and facts for your own proselytizing agenda.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 24, 2013 at 12:38 am)jstrodel Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 12:34 am)Mr Infidel Wrote: Ray Comfort wanna-be, the word proof does not mean what you think it does.

Who defined the word proof? Have historians and paleontologists discovered an ancient religious text that defined the word proof? How did that happen?

Who invented the dictionary?

This is where I get to the issue of being a psuedo-intellectual. An intellectual would realize that the word proof has many different sense and is culturally defined and it varies context to context. Perhaps they would argue for one sense of proof, based on a thorough investigation of philosophy and science and religion and many other related issues. This would not be easy to do.

A psuedo-intellectual would understand the term proof to have some sort of fixed definition that refers to atheist apologetics.

I wish that I could disabuse you of your psuedo-intellectual atheism, but I can't if you won't admit it or defend it.

That sounds suspiciously like what someone might say when challenged to "prove it" when they in fact, could not do so.
(March 24, 2013 at 12:38 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 12:34 am)Mr Infidel Wrote: Ray Comfort wanna-be, the word proof does not mean what you think it does.

Indeed. Notably, he demands much more from us than he is willing to deliver himself.

P.S. @jstrodel - fuck you. You know nothing about me. Assume all you want and wallow in your piety. It won't stop you from being dead-ass fucking wrong. You have FAILED, utterly failed, in demonstrating that your belief is anything but your belief.

I said that to bless you. You thought that Mt 7 means that Christians can't judge each other. I am not trying to insult you, like a doctor taking a harmful piece of glass out of someones eye, so I intend to take the harmful piece of glass out of your eye that says you were ever saved or ever knew God or ever understood the Bible.

I love you and care deeply about you. That is the reason that I write the way that I do. A mature Christian would never make that mistake about Mt 7. There are many things I am ignorant of, that I will readily admit. Physics, for instance. Perhaps Einstein's theories are true and conflict with Christian belief and God does not exist outside of time. That is possible.

What is not possible is that you were ever a mature Christian or ever understood the things of God. I can promise you that. You never served God seriously in ministry for 20 hours a week or something like that. You never went to another country to share the Gospel. You never fasted 2 or 3 days a week or sold your house to go to another country. You never did what the sermon on the mount says to do, to leave everything and follow Jesus.

I can garentee you that, because if you did, you would never believe not even for an instance that the Bible teaches it is wrong to judge others. That is a mistake people that have never done the things Jesus did make.

I write not to intend or to have a battle of egos, but to give you hope, that though your experience of Christianity was a failure, that the failure was not on the part of God, it was on the part of you.

This is good news, because God is real and God loves you.

I am seriously not trying to insult you at all. God has called me through supernatural signs, prophetic confirmations of people over and over again calling me to be a writer and to minister to people. I write what I do out of service to Him, not to insult you.
(March 24, 2013 at 12:46 am)jstrodel Wrote: This is good news, because God is real and God loves you.

By all means, share your news elsewhere, perhaps on a theistic forum where they will praise you all day long for your religious insight.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:Well, yeah. It's rational to assume that god does not exist, since no one can produce evidence for his existence, including the people who claim to "experience him."

I just did produce evidence. You just presupposed God's existence to discredit it. That is what atheists have been doing for hundreds of years, presupposing atheism in order to build systems of ideas that cannot disprove God because they presuppose models of the world that explicitly exclude God.

So there is your proof that God exists. You can be satisfied with that or you can get out of your atheist critical thinker comfort zone and seek God.
Oh, I'm so pleased to hear all of that. Jerkoff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7566 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 497 111049 October 25, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 0 473 September 13, 2017 at 1:48 am
Last Post: causal code
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11257 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5061 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20201 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Disproving gods with history and science dyresand 10 3265 June 30, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  No conflict between faith and science, eh? The Reality Salesman01 37 10519 May 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51537 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion Mudhammam 3 1877 November 11, 2014 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Mudhammam