Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No conflict between faith and science, eh?
No conflict between faith and science, eh?
A woman that used to work with my wife posted this on FB yesterday, and I couldn't help but wonder how her kids would feel if they saw this years from now when they find out that their mom had every chance to remove the tumor that killed her, but rather than listening to the people that can see inside her skull, she decided to invest in a magical fantasy for the chances of her survival. No conflict here...

RE: No conflict between faith and science, eh?
He'll take care of it all right...

By the way, are doctors bound not to say anything about religion, professionally?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I really don't like the whole idea of 'science and faith can coexist and even compliment each other', or conicsely, the idea of NOMA.

A more accurate version of the 'science and faith can coexist' argument would be:

Science and faith can coexist if that faith makes absolutely no claims that can be tested and verified and measured by science, because every religious or supernatural claim that we have been able to investigate so far has not been anything supernatural at all. If at any point faith and science are in conflict (age of the earth, evolution, prayer as healthcare, etc) science has been shown over and over to be the one that is actually accurate. Religion has had to give up so much of its declarative authority over the state and functions of reality and our world that only after it's been shoved into the most untouchable of corners of the unsovled (as of now) mysteries of the universe can it puff its chest out and make its old bald assertions.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 21, 2015 at 9:05 am)Alex K Wrote: He'll take care of it all right...

By the way, are doctors bound not to say anything about religion, professionally?
They can only offer recommendations, but ultimately they have to oblige the patient's superstitious wishes. For example, it is strictly prohibited for Jehovah's witnesses to receive blood transfusions, and when they die due to a loss of blood, they become martyrs for their church and are celebrated for their devotion to their faith.
So if I were a doctor, I could say - "I can't recommend prayer as a substitute for surgery because, looking at the cancer deaths, it doesn't seem to work for most people"?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I don't know. Good question...
My opinion of the "non-overlapping magisteria" (NOMA) idea (the idea that science and religion are different subjects that do not overlap) is that it is a pragmatic position that people take, to try to get the religious fools to accept any science at all.  In other words, I think it is a lie, told to try to get religionists to accept some science.  The practical alternative is for the religious nuts to totally reject science, as they are not going to just give up their religious beliefs.

If you go for an all or nothing approach, with most religionists, you get nothing.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
If a religion is willing to 'bet the farm' on articles of faith subject to falsifiability, more power to them. That's why we're here.

{cough, cough}LDS{cough, cough}
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

There doesn't have to be.  There are definitely some articles of some faiths that simply cannot exist with science as truth (even though we are obviously capable of holding contrary positions to be true).  This doesn't have much to do with the fact that they are articles of faith so much as that they are factually incorrect.  If they were not articles of faith they would still be factually correct, being articles of faith don't make them more or less factually correct.  

NOMA is not always true with respect to any given faith, it is true in principle - of an as-yet unrealized and purely hypothetical faith...lol

Carl Sagan famously opined upon a religion of nature.  He says it better than I could-

Quote:A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This particular type of conflict tends to resolve itself quickly.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3868 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6667 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1248 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3411 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 934 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10967 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1854 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12266 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic