Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 11, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Critical Thinking Skills
RE: AF Hall of Shame (Post Edition)
(March 25, 2013 at 12:10 am)Psykhronic Wrote: Living for others is great.

So long as one does not lose himself in the process.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 24, 2013 at 11:59 pm)jstrodel Wrote: Have you ever been to a monastery before? I would recommend it.

Yep, there was a monk wearing sunglasses and what I can only describe as a pimp cane. There were lots of kittens too and some old women shouting at tourists for going into the wrong room. Quite hilarious.

My favorite place of magic would have to be the Stealthagogue in London its not actually called that but it looks like a normal tall office building but you go in and its a huge synagogue!
RE: [split] AF Hall of Shame (Post Edition)
(March 24, 2013 at 11:16 pm)jstrodel Wrote: Universities are where they teach you that spending $200,000 on a fine arts degree makes you spiritual.

Or 180€ to actually learn something useful, like chemistry, biology, physics, history, geology etc.

(March 24, 2013 at 11:31 pm)jstrodel Wrote: The liberal thinks that to make something entertaining is a form of humility and to have good taste in music is virtue.

It's not too far off, a good taste in music is usually an indicator of a brilliant mind.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/musi...telligent/
http://www.science20.com/news_releases/d...says_study
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hofstadter Wrote:I have a great deal of experience with people who are smart but unbalanced, people who think they have found the key to the universe, etc.
It’s a sad thing, but there are many of them out there, and often they are extremely obsessive.

— Douglas Hofstadter, quoted in The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Christ in a sidecar, you were able to split off SEVEN pages of this stuff?

That's awesome.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 24, 2013 at 11:16 pm)jstrodel Wrote: Universities are where they teach you that spending $200,000 on a fine arts degree makes you spiritual.

The university administrator is the best at spirituality. He looks a bunch of stuff made for rich people and thinks "How are we going to get people to pay $200k for this stuff" and then he says

"Aha! The beauty of the human spirit as it apprehends the artistic and humanistic aesthethics of the story of our inner self"

He looks at his spreadsheet and says, "heh, best marketing ever"

I would reckon that fine arts graduates are more useful to society than say graduates in theology.
undefined
(March 25, 2013 at 6:34 am)Justtristo Wrote: I would reckon that fine arts graduates are more useful to society than say graduates in theology.

As a fine arts major, seconded. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: [split] Critical Thinking Skills
I'm offended for my vinyl collection Undecided
What's so wrong with a medium that tends to last longer than others, produces a rich, full sound quality, and if purchased used, is dirt cheap?
RE: [split] Critical Thinking Skills
I can't believe we've given 7 pages to strodel. This is an entire thread of fail on his part.

I wonder if he understands that the basis of critical thinking is to ask questions? I also wonder if he understands that, if questions about theology or philosophy are asked to multiple people, you're going to get multiple answers? I also wonder if he understands that not all people will answer those questions with "PraisebetoJebus!"?

I doubt it.

Regardless, my deal with any dieties out there still stands: show me you exist and I'll follow whatever religion you want me to . So far, no response, so I'm forced to assume God wants me to be an atheist.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(March 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm)Joel Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 4:51 pm)jstrodel Wrote: It is not fallacious to appeal to authority, people do it all the time.

This is a pretty catchy quote alright. The only way I see to improve on this would have been:

"It is not fallacious to appeal to popularity, people do it all the time."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to not take critical feedback personally? copiedusername 9 1320 December 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: mordant
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 9196 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Uselss skills/qualifications! (#2) [NOT SUPER SERIOUS] ignoramus 44 2341 May 2, 2019 at 8:56 am
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2523 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1552 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 878 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 15236 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 30354 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 11489 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6586 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet