Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 8:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your problem with christianity?
RE: What's your problem with christianity?
(May 24, 2013 at 9:56 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Why I dislike Christianity:

1. Why is it any truer than any other religion?
2. Which denomination is correct?
3. Which version of the bible is correct?
4. Who gets to speak with the voice of God, if man is too small to understand him?
5. Contradictions, contradictions.
6. Concept of heaven/hell is ridiculous.
7. Has fought against progress for too long.
8. Some of the most avid followers seem to have a problem with understanding their own set of rules (do not steal, give away your fortune, do not judge your fellow man etc.)
9. Some branches enhance problems with and lie about sex and sexuality.
10. Even the good the church does comes always with strings attached.

(May 24, 2013 at 8:01 am)gitonga Wrote: Talking snakes? if you've never seen a parrot before would you believe me if i told you it could talk??

I would believe you if you either showed me the talking animal or substantial proof like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtDdAg01Oi8

1. At this point i would remeber that jiddu krishnamurti said comparison is bad Tongue i have no view on why it's truer than any other religion but i would ask what would be your problem with it on its own
2. I think i already responded to that earlier in the thread
3. Try see what all versions have in common. To me i'd say thats the only part that matters the rest is up to you
5. eg?
6. whats wrong with it being rediculous? doesnt make it any less true
8,9,10.as i said please look up joseph prince

so your willing to believe evidence but not search for it? if parrots were extinct but you heard they could talk but there was no science behind it, would you actually try do what she's done and find evidence of it being possible or just dismiss it while some other scientist does the grunt work? what i'm tring to say is that maybe snakes did talk but we've just not figured out how
Quote:Meet me at this gloryhole so you suck on it bitch.

You strike me as the kind who hangs out in gay bathrooms. Allah is going to be very upset with you.

Luckily, allah is as phony as you are.
Small distinction.... Parrots don't talk at all. They mimic sounds

The only known snake " language" is Parseltongue (sp?) And that was fictitious too.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm)goodnews Wrote: I understand perfectly, any atheist that discusses and is taught theorys associated with atheism is according to the dictionary a person of religion. and therefore religious.

Thanks for confirming you have no idea what you are talking about.

There are no theories associated with atheism.

Atheism is simply the response, "I don't believe you. Please provide me with demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument to support your assertion." When a theists claims a god exists.

Anything other than that is outside the purview of atheism.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Small distinction.... Parrots don't talk at all. They mimic sounds

The only known snake " language" is Parseltongue (sp?) And that was fictitious too.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm)gitonga Wrote: 6. whats wrong with it being rediculous? doesnt make it any less true

As a rule of thumb, an assertion that's ridiculous (extremely silly or unreasonable) is less likely to be true than an assertion that's sensible. In the case of heaven and hell, they're offered as places of infinite reward or punishment after death by a being that embodies justice...but people are finite and can't possibly deserve eternal reward or punishment, so giving it is unjust, which contradicts the idea that the being offering it is supremely just. That's aside from the physics issues with such realms.

(May 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm)gitonga Wrote: so your willing to believe evidence but not search for it?

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. I have no right to say six-legged hippos live in the depths of the Amazon jungle and assign the homework of proving they don't to those who doubt me. The claim is mine to support and no one should take me seriously if I don't.

(May 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm)gitonga Wrote: if parrots were extinct but you heard they could talk but there was no science behind it, would you actually try do what she's done and find evidence of it being possible or just dismiss it while some other scientist does the grunt work? what i'm tring to say is that maybe snakes did talk but we've just not figured out how.

It's an interesting scenario, but snakes are anatomically incapable of speech. You could put the brain of the smartest person who has ever lived in a snake and the snake still wouldn't be able to speak.

I suggest you go with 'Satanic ventriloquism' as an explanation that will allow you to retain your literalist beliefs, or perhaps serpents lost their voices as well as their legs, but the Bible just failed to mention that part.

Have you ever noticed that Adam and Eve were punished for a sin they committed before they had knowledge of good and evil to know that what they were doing was wrong?

If you're willing not to be so literal, the serpent is a good metaphor for that part of our mind that tempts us to disobey those in authority over us.
(May 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Small distinction.... Parrots don't talk at all. They mimic sounds

well tell me what you think of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD823KyQx9Y would that help explain the snake problem?
(May 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: If you're willing not to be so literal, the serpent is a good metaphor for that part of our mind that tempts us to disobey those in authority over us.
-or or our urge to seek out knowledge that forever removes us from any "naked in the woods oblivious" scenario
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm)gitonga Wrote: 1. At this point i would remeber that jiddu krishnamurti said comparison is bad Tongue i have no view on why it's truer than any other religion but i would ask what would be your problem with it on its own
2. I think i already responded to that earlier in the thread
3. Try see what all versions have in common. To me i'd say thats the only part that matters the rest is up to you
5. eg?
6. whats wrong with it being rediculous? doesnt make it any less true
8,9,10.as i said please look up joseph prince

so your willing to believe evidence but not search for it? if parrots were extinct but you heard they could talk but there was no science behind it, would you actually try do what she's done and find evidence of it being possible or just dismiss it while some other scientist does the grunt work? what i'm tring to say is that maybe snakes did talk but we've just not figured out how

Actually, Mister Agenda said all I wanted to say, so I fully concur with him.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I could point out a lot of the issues I have with the Christian faith - but in dealing with the people who hold that faith, I only have a problem with people that push their particular interpretation on others, only then do I challenge it, otherwise it's confined to forums like these.

I respect people in IRL to believe whatever they want to believe as long as they're not infringing on me and my rights; this means that I only confront proselytizing, basically.
(May 24, 2013 at 9:56 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Why I dislike Christianity:

1. Why is it any truer than any other religion?
2. Which denomination is correct?
3. Which version of the bible is correct?
4. Who gets to speak with the voice of God, if man is too small to understand him?
5. Contradictions, contradictions.
6. Concept of heaven/hell is ridiculous.
7. Has fought against progress for too long.
8. Some of the most avid followers seem to have a problem with understanding their own set of rules (do not steal, give away your fortune, do not judge your fellow man etc.)
9. Some branches enhance problems with and lie about sex and sexuality.
10. Even the good the church does comes always with strings attached.
These are the kind of issues I mean by, by faith alone.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7229 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christians : my problem with Christianity, some questions. WinterHold 115 20198 March 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  sick of your threats Christianity! atheist04330 12 2032 July 13, 2014 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8648 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18604 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  What is your complaint with Christianity? DeeTee 61 20413 May 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Ryft