Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is The Point Of Prayer?
RE: What Is The Point Of Prayer?
Address our concerns directly, or keep talking into the wind like you've been doing.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(August 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Address our concerns directly, or keep talking into the wind like you've been doing.

Maybe I should just ask you about the origin and ultimate destiny of homo sapiens and then address your particular view.

How did we get here and where are we going as homo sapiens?
The shark doesn't beat up the female shark and threaten to kill her if she doesn't mate with him, and the same if he thinks she might go to the police afterwards. That seems to be a human peculiarity. Rape isn't merely "forceful copulation", it's about power and dominance for the most part.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm)discipulus Wrote: Maybe I should just ask you about the origin and ultimate destiny of homo sapiens and then address your particular view.

I'd imagine that we might become extinct one day, much like Neanderthals did. Bleak destiny, I know, but reality wasn't nice to the dinosaurs either.

How did we get here? That's a good question. I personally got here because my parents had sex and then my mother gave birth to me. Pretty straight forward, but I'm glad you're taking the time to consider these things.
(August 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote:
(August 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm)discipulus Wrote: Maybe I should just ask you about the origin and ultimate destiny of homo sapiens and then address your particular view.

I'd imagine that we might become extinct one day, much like Neanderthals did. Bleak destiny, I know, but reality wasn't nice to the dinosaurs either.

How did we get here? That's a good question. I personally got here because my parents had sex and then my mother gave birth to me. Pretty straight forward, but I'm glad you're taking the time to consider these things.

And their parents? And their parent's parents?

I want to know what your view is regarding the explanation of the first instance of biological life on this planet. How did life originate on this planet?
How do you think it did?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I can't say what happened for certain, but we have several working theories, including the idea that perhaps aliens seeded the planet. Pick one, but I don't recommend toting it as infallible truth. I sure don't.
Quote:I want to know what your view is regarding the explanation of the first instance of biological life on this planet. How did life originate on this planet?

What does that have to do with fucking praying?

There are plenty of threads around on the subject. Use the search feature.
(August 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I want to know what your view is regarding the explanation of the first instance of biological life on this planet. How did life originate on this planet?

What does that have to do with fucking praying?

There are plenty of threads around on the subject. Use the search feature.

Simple .. He's praying for a change of subject that might be easier for him to argue.. It's prayer pure and simple..
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(August 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(August 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I'd imagine that we might become extinct one day, much like Neanderthals did. Bleak destiny, I know, but reality wasn't nice to the dinosaurs either.

And their parents? And their parent's parents?

I want to know what your view is regarding the explanation of the first instance of biological life on this planet. How did life originate on this planet?

I don't know, I don't need to know and my not knowing does not make me beholden to any quick and easy god-did-it theory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3989 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5998 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 8001 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1138 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5978 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6240 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  What is the point of religious billboards? Cecelia 17 4262 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 64507 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8506 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Prayer Athena777 181 17682 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee