Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is The Point Of Prayer?
What Is The Point Of Prayer?
Why do you pray? (This is mainly for the theists, obviously.)

It seems to me that prayer, broadly speaking, falls into two general catagories: intercessory prayer (where you ask God to effect a change for you or for someone else) and supplicatory prayer (where you tell God how wonderful he is, or how thankful you are, or some such).

Why bother? If everything which happens is according to God's plan (or God's will, or Divine Providence, or whatever the current buzzword is), then an intercessory prayer cannot possible affect the outcome - what is going to happen has been decided already by God. Furthermore (apos to Ambrose Bierce), isn't it rather arrogant of you to ask God to alter his plans on your behalf, when you've already admitted that you're unworthy to have him do so?

And, since God is omniscient, he already knows that's he terrific and how thankful you are - why do you need to tell him? Seems kind of like if every passenger were to walk up to the bus conductor every two seconds and tell him, 'This is the Number 4 bus.'

That in mind, what is the point of prayer?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: What Is The Point Of Prayer?
(July 29, 2013 at 5:17 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Why do you pray? (This is mainly for the theists, obviously.)

It seems to me that prayer, broadly speaking, falls into two general catagories: intercessory prayer (where you ask God to effect a change for you or for someone else) and supplicatory prayer (where you tell God how wonderful he is, or how thankful you are, or some such).

Why bother? If everything which happens is according to God's plan (or God's will, or Divine Providence, or whatever the current buzzword is), then an intercessory prayer cannot possible affect the outcome - what is going to happen has been decided already by God. Furthermore (apos to Ambrose Bierce), isn't it rather arrogant of you to ask God to alter his plans on your behalf, when you've already admitted that you're unworthy to have him do so?

And, since God is omniscient, he already knows that's he terrific and how thankful you are - why do you need to tell him? Seems kind of like if every passenger were to walk up to the bus conductor every two seconds and tell him, 'This is the Number 4 bus.'

That in mind, what is the point of prayer?

Boru

*Channels Drich* Christians don't pray to make formal requests to god or to kiss his ass, they do it change their own minds and will and desires into something in line with god's will. *Channels Drich*

*Shudders*

*Goes off to take a shower*
People pray for various reasons. To make themselves feel special and superior; as a parting "Yeah? Well, fuck you!" at the end of discussion; as a way of salving their consciences that they can't, or can't be arsed, to actually do anything practical; to let a person know that they're at least being thought of, even though whatever pain that person is going through cannot be helped. What's most revealing is that whichever breed of prayer is being used, nobody has any confidence that it can possibly have the slightest effect unless the subject of the prayer knows about it in advance. Otherwise where's the satisfaction in the game?

I've told this story many times, unfortunately. Back in the day when my Princess and I were trying to conceive, we used to have people, well-meaning as they undoubtedly were, 'assuring' us that they'd pray for us. It never worked - if anything, it had the opposite effect. When we began our IVF treatment, those same people again said they were praying for us. It didn't take. Sam remained unpregnant, yet those same people sympathised with us and said they would pray for our loss. Sorry, but what exactly was the point here? I already know these people have a special club which makes them feel part of something important; they already know I won't buy it. The only explanation that seems to fit is that praying, in this context, is something to say when they can't simply say nothing - a kind of theistic Tourette's. I'm only thankful that none of the pious bastards have even so much as tried to pray for having my sweet Sam stolen from me. Small mercies and all that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Prayer is a way of making people in helpless situations feel like they can actually do something useful.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Um, to appease that narcissistic butt plug in the sky? Without Jesus getting his daily rusty trombone from the pious, his subsequent temper tantrums could cause tornadoes, you know.

Thanks, fundies! (I can't stand the taste of holy shit, personally.)
That begs the question as to why a perfect, all-powerful deity needs to be constantly reminded by its creation that it's so great.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
He's insecure.
(July 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: That begs the question as to why a perfect, all-powerful deity needs to be constantly reminded by its creation that it's so great.

Welp, he is the jealous type, he admits...so insecurity isn't too far a leap, I suppose.

(July 29, 2013 at 12:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: He's insecure.

Ding, ding, ding! Big Grin
I mean, really.... what "Supreme Being Who Created the Whole Fucking Universe" needs this shit 5 times a day?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3a8gEmf-h3jiwtw30-nC...fxRrcd8z87]

No. This is the creation of men who want to control people.
(July 29, 2013 at 5:24 am)genkaus Wrote: *Channels Drich* Christians don't pray to make formal requests to god or to kiss his ass, they do it change their own minds and will and desires into something in line with god's will. *Channels Drich*

*Shudders*

*Goes off to take a shower*

ROFLOL

I had no idea I am so formidable that should I just stop praying, the will of the creator of the universe will be thwarted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3638 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5350 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7562 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1039 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5617 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 5919 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  What is the point of religious billboards? Cecelia 17 4071 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 62907 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8042 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Prayer Athena777 181 16211 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee