Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is The Point Of Prayer?
RE: What Is The Point Of Prayer?
So many ridiculous concepts to keep silly theists chained to their ridiculous religion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: So many ridiculous concepts to keep silly theists chained to their ridiculous religion.

No it's to keep you from being chained to a load of worldly crap. You got it the wrong way around.
(August 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: No it's to keep you from being chained to a load of worldly crap. You got it the wrong way around.

If lying to yourself helps you sleep better at night....
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:If lying to yourself helps you sleep better at night....

We will all worship something even if it isn't a supernatural being or a man, that's just human nature. God is ideal orientation of worship not whatever you will have set up in his place.
(August 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: We will all worship something.

Erroneous statement. I worship nothing.
~ Erin Hunter
I knew it. The fox is cornered, and he's baring his teeth. Also, you mentioned Carl Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson earlier. Are you under the erroneous assumption that these men are gods to us? Do you even know what an atheist is?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(August 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(August 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Do you worship said emperors?

No that would be idolatry, only God alone should be your only focus, you will get the rest of the world thrown in for free. Yes so Jesus was God in some sense but it's not about worshiping a man it's all about God God God. You don't worship science, Carl Sagan, Neil Degrasse Tyson or anything like that, just God alone. The moment your focus wavers from God idol worship will kick in.

You missed my point. Even if I acknowledge that a person in history existed, it doesn't mean any supposed 'supernatural/divine' claims ascribed to them carry weight with me...and you admit with you, either. I take Jesus in this context...you however, do not. You equating emperors with your godboy opens Pandora's Box. You would now have to discount all other divine claims, while still accepting Jesus'. Problem here is there is better evidence typically for everyone else.

Now, if you brought up the emperor claims solely to legitimize a case for a historical man named Jesus, I'll play along. Of course, a man sans magick tricks makes your religion fall flat.

(August 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
Quote:If lying to yourself helps you sleep better at night....

We will all worship something even if it isn't a supernatural being or a man, that's just human nature. God is ideal orientation of worship not whatever you will have set up in his place.

Not everyone thinks like you do. That's human nature.
Quote:Erroneous statement. I worship nothing.

You will have something you revere in your life more than anything else. It can be person possibly. I don't mean Carl Sagan someone important to you personally.

Lets have a look at what Jesus himself said.

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." Matthew 10:37

Now clearly here he was speaking with the authority of God. And he's telling his followers not to put anything before God.
(August 23, 2013 at 3:21 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: You will have something you revere in your life more than anything else.

So now the word is revere?

Do I worship anything? No.

Do I revere anything? Yes.

Playing semantics with a writer is not a good move.
~ Erin Hunter
(August 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: So now the word is revere?

Do I worship anything? No.

Do I revere anything? Yes.

Playing semantics with a writer is not a good move.

To worship something is to greatly venerate a revere it. And you have something or someone who matters more to you in life than anything else, it isn't God it's something else. Whatever that is can let you down, break, go wrong, betray, die or a number of other things. If this were to happen your life is ruined there is no consolation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3992 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 6008 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 8006 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1138 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5979 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6246 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  What is the point of religious billboards? Cecelia 17 4263 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 64526 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8515 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Prayer Athena777 181 17689 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee