Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a question about noah's flood.
RE: I have a question about noah's flood.
(September 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm)searching4truth Wrote: John... you can't use a creation source to prove your argument. That's like using the Bible to prove the Bible or a Harry Potter novel to prove Hogwarts is a real place. This theory of yours just isn't going to stretch.
Who's trying to prove anything? I mentioned YEC models, you asked for a source, I googled and found one.
You brought up the YEC models to justify the possibility for the world-wide flood. I did ask for a source but one that justifies your viewpoint front the perspective of the creationist side of the fence isn't applicable to your side of the debate in an unbiased manner
(September 28, 2013 at 5:47 pm)John V Wrote:
(September 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm)searching4truth Wrote: John... you can't use a creation source to prove your argument. That's like using the Bible to prove the Bible or a Harry Potter novel to prove Hogwarts is a real place. This theory of yours just isn't going to stretch.
Who's trying to prove anything? I mentioned YEC models, you asked for a source, I googled and found one.

Well if Noah's flood happened then how did the fish survive.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(September 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(September 28, 2013 at 5:47 pm)John V Wrote: Who's trying to prove anything? I mentioned YEC models, you asked for a source, I googled and found one.

Well if Noah's flood happened then how did the fish survive.

Magic!
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
John, just so we're clear, are you standing by the ICR source that you cited? If not, if you disagree with it in part or in entirety, what was to be gained by citing it? We all know what creationist sources are out there - and some of them are more out there than others - so if it was your intention simply to present one of the more batshit propaganda mills as a prime example of that fine breed, it would be helpful to say as much.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 28, 2013 at 6:08 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote:
(September 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Well if Noah's flood happened then how did the fish survive.

Magic!

No it wasn't magic it was POOF!
What, a magic dragon did it?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 28, 2013 at 6:42 pm)Stimbo Wrote: What, a magic dragon did it?

Poof the magic sky daddy
Lived in the sky
And frolicked in the mind of fools
In a land called absurdity
(September 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm)Stimbo Wrote: so if it was your intention simply to present one of the more batshit propaganda mills as a prime example of that fine breed, it would be helpful to say as much.
Your negative spin notwithstanding, yes, the context shows that's what I was doing. I clearly said that YEC models include a certain feature, and then was asked for a source. The plain reading of the request was for a creationist source. I thought he perhaps might want to actually know something about the position. If you do so, you can still claim lack of proof, and also not be arguing against the Mt. Everest straw man. I'm actually helping you. As far as I'm concerned, it's unnecessary to make naturalistic explanations for supernatural events.
Thanks for clearing that up. On your last point, I fully agree with you. In fact I'd go a step further and say it's not just unnecessary to make naturalistic explanations for supernatural events, it's also misguided when the whole aim of the exercise is to explain in natural terms how a god interacts with the Universe. People who do that always have one hand on the big red ejector seat button labelled "magic" and they're never afraid to hit it at the first sign that their naturalistic explanation is taking a nosedive.

By a similar token, it's unjustified to leap instantly to a supernatural explanation while there are natural ones still on the table, and to cry foul when those natural explanations get mentioned.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did they really find Noah's Ark? Jasper 19 2044 May 25, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So Noah had crab lice Fake Messiah 0 580 July 18, 2021 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Noah and animals AniKoferBo 52 4496 January 28, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: no one
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 4059 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Noah's Ark (!) Shows How Seaworthy It Is In A Storm Minimalist 68 14880 January 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Noah's Ark water stored underground? Socratic Meth Head 17 3611 June 14, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  A question about the flood myth, baraminology, and Pangaea RobbyPants 153 21493 February 29, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  A question for those who believe in noahs flood Lemonvariable72 13 3867 July 14, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Noah's Flood vs Japan? Duke Guilmon 10 6932 June 21, 2014 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Literal belief in the flood story RobbyPants 157 44112 May 22, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants