Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
RE: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
I don't think the OP can look any worse than he (?) already does.

Can't help it - I am convinced he is a woman.
(October 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: but maybe a reply will happen if it keeps coming up?

[Image: Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg]
(October 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: If you want to use Pascal's wager, you have to apply it evenly to all possibilities. Would it not be safer with respect to Islam to believe in Islam?

Then you realize that Pascal's wager is utterly useless. It is no more likely to lead you to any real conclusion whatsoever.

[Image: expanded.png]

For atheists and agnostics, the multiple "believe or damned" do not change the risk of infinite loss.

For the believer all that is needed is to find the only true one. That is easy.
(October 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: For atheists and agnostics, the multiple "believe or damned" do not change the risk of infinite loss.

That's right, we recognize that it's an argument ad baculum (believe or else) that has no bearing on what is actually true.

(October 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: For the believer all that is needed is to find the only true one. That is easy.

Well, it's fairly easy to whittle down the candidates. The one that is supposed to have created the earth in six days, stopped the sun, and flooded the earth up to the mountain tops never existed because all the available evidence says those things never happened. The God with the least cognitive dissonance is the God of deism, and no one claims to know if that one does anything with you after you die.
A) Atheism is on this as a baseline for the absence of the positions

B) It would be the same for an atheist to find that which is most likely to be true

C) Pascal's Wager not only makes no claim about truth, it necessarily is incapable of leading anyone towards it in any sense. (if any one of the faith-based positions is true, and someone starts from the null hypothesis, then they have no better than a random chance of landing on the right one)

(October 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: If you want to use Pascal's wager, you have to apply it evenly to all possibilities. Would it not be safer with respect to Islam to believe in Islam?

Then you realize that Pascal's wager is utterly useless. It is no more likely to lead you to any real conclusion whatsoever.

[Image: expanded.png]

For atheists and agnostics, the multiple "believe or damned" do not change the risk of infinite loss.

For the believer all that is needed is to find the only true one. That is easy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: For atheists and agnostics, the multiple "believe or damned" do not change the risk of infinite loss.

That's right, we recognize that it's an argument ad baculum (believe or else) that has no bearing on what is actually true.

(October 3, 2013 at 2:41 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: For the believer all that is needed is to find the only true one. That is easy.

Well, it's fairly easy to whittle down the candidates. The one that is supposed to have created the earth in six days, stopped the sun, and flooded the earth up to the mountain tops never existed because all the available evidence says those things never happened. The God with the least cognitive dissonance is the God of deism, and no one claims to know if that one does anything with you after you die.

But if the odds against abiogenesis are so great that it is absolutely ludicrous to hold to the no God assumption, the God Almighty must have done it.

What would be impossible for the Almighty God?

Maybe you would never be able to discern what God did.
(October 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: That's right, we recognize that it's an argument ad baculum (believe or else) that has no bearing on what is actually true.

But if the odds against abiogenesis are so great that it is absolutely ludicrous to hold to the no God assumption, the God Almighty must have done it.

non sequitur.

If you disprove science, it does not logically follow that religion has the right answer. Religion would still have to pony up the evidence to assert that.
(October 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: But if the odds against abiogenesis are so great that it is absolutely ludicrous to hold to the no God assumption, the God Almighty must have done it.

non sequitur.

If you disprove science, it does not logically follow that religion has the right answer. Religion would still have to pony up the evidence to assert that.

I am disproving atheistic origin science.
(October 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: I am disproving atheistic origin science.

You are doing an incredibly poor job of it. In fact, you are affirming our atheism much in the same way that reading the bible does.
Besides this 'atheistic origin science' is a term you created yourself. You have already been corrected on it but i guess you just ignored it like the majority of the posts on here. There is no atheistic origin science. There is just science. Science that looks into how everything got here. The religious explanation for how everything got here cannot be considered science at all. No scientific method involved at all. Therefore it is pointless to call it atheistic science when there is no other type of science to differentiate from.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(October 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: non sequitur.

I am disproving atheistic origin science.

Where did you do that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3473 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 10308 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss Minimalist 31 5506 September 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheists and Agnostics have God Phatt Matt s 43 6391 April 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question for Deists and Agnostics themonkeyman 14 2848 November 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  How big a risk are we atheists taking by not capitulating to Christian hegemony? Whateverist 26 8080 September 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  How does Christianity gain ADULT converts? Marnie 25 9958 July 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Why do christians needlessly risk their immortal souls? GhostofZeus 6 3344 June 18, 2012 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Godscreated