Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
RE: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
(October 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: But in 500 years after their last signal, their 100 years of signal are out to a sphere of 600 light years. Now a civilization could lie in any direction from Earth and each could have such a sphere. Seems like we should have had something already.

Now you're just being rude. Boo! Dodgy
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: But in 500 years after their last signal, their 100 years of signal are out to a sphere of 600 light years. Now a civilization could lie in any direction from Earth and each could have such a sphere. Seems like we should have had something already.

What you just said, made no sense.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(October 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: But why would we not be getting radio waves?
Most civilizations would be emitting them for at least 100 years.

Assuming they developed simultaneously.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Video 
If SavedByGraceThruFaith can't explain the Leidenfrost effect, then it is proof of the Finno-Ugric god Ukko, obviously!

Find the cure for Fundementia!
(October 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm)Rationalman Wrote: In the vacuum of space, radio waves travel at the speed of light. In 100 years, a radio wave would only travel 100 light years, that is a ridiculously tiny distance in the universe. Right now a civilization that matches our own could be transmitting radiowaves in our direction. But what if they are 5 billion light years away, the earth will be gone by then. And thats assuming that the radiowaves are aimed at us and even if they are using radiowaves as a form of communication. Also we have picked up some weird waves from space, look up the WOW signal

But in 500 years after their last signal, their 100 years of signal are out to a sphere of 600 light years. Now a civilization could lie in any direction from Earth and each could have such a sphere. Seems like we should have had something already.

There are about 15000 stars within a hundred light years of earth. Thats about .000015% of the stars in the milky way on the low end of the total estimates. Not very many in the scheme of things.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Re: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
Life on Earth demonstrates that life in the universe is possible. Given that we have explored roughly 0% of it and have observed about 0% of it, it is fair to say we don't know if life does or doesn't exist elsewhere, but we know it's possible. Thus, the only logical conclusion is to look.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: But why would we not be getting radio waves?

This should answer Grace's question (assuming she takes the time to read this.)

"While it’s interesting to imagine how far our radio signals have traveled into space, it’s extremely unlikely that an alien will be able to catch the latest episode of ‘I Love Lucy’. This is thanks to the inverse square law. In Layman’s term, it’s a form of signal degradation.

As radio signals leave earth, they propagate out in a wave form. Just like dropping a stone in a lake, the waves diffuse or “spread out” over distance thanks to the exponentially larger area they must encompass. The area can be calculated by multiplying length times width which is why we measure it in square units – square centimeters, square miles, etc. This means that the further away from the source, the more square units of area a signal has to ‘illuminate’.inverse square law

Another way to think of it, is that the strength of a radio signal will be only 1/4 as great once you are twice the distance from the source. At ten times the distance, the strength of the signal would only be one hundredth as great.

Because of this inverse square law, all of our radio signals become indistinguishable from background noise at around a few light-years from earth. For a civilization only a couple hundred light-years away, trying to listen to our broadcasts would be like trying to detect the small ripple from a pebble dropped in the pacific ocean off the coast of California – from Japan."

So there you go, Grace, why we'll never hear a radio signal from space.

Do a little research before you ask a question, please.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Re: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
Someone posted a video in a thread I started about science that deals with "why is the sky black at night" that also hints at part of the problem.

The distances are not fixed from the point of origin and ourselves (or vice versa). Space and time are stretching, so something moving towards us is having to cover that distance, plus the fact that we are also moving further away at the same time. Ergo, the red shift.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm)Rationalman Wrote:

In the vacuum of space, radio waves travel at the speed of light. In 100 years, a radio wave would only travel 100 light years, that is a ridiculously tiny distance in the universe. Right now a civilization that matches our own could be transmitting radiowaves in our direction. But what if they are 5 billion light years away, the earth will be gone by then. And thats assuming that the radiowaves are aimed at us and even if they are using radiowaves as a form of communication. Also we have picked up some weird waves from space, look up the WOW signal

Let's not forget that radio signal power falls off inversely proportional to the square of the distance. I can't be arsed to do the math myself, but the signal loss over a distance of 100 light years is efuckingnormous.

But sure, yeah, we'll just listen in on whatever alien transmissions float by.

The OP is fucking clueless.

ETA: Bill beat me to the punch. Curses!

And here I thought the inverse square law had something to do with hep cats.

[Image: D7612546_714_071449038]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3530 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 10463 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss Minimalist 31 5572 September 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheists and Agnostics have God Phatt Matt s 43 6436 April 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question for Deists and Agnostics themonkeyman 14 2878 November 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  How big a risk are we atheists taking by not capitulating to Christian hegemony? Whateverist 26 8126 September 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  How does Christianity gain ADULT converts? Marnie 25 10014 July 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Why do christians needlessly risk their immortal souls? GhostofZeus 6 3363 June 18, 2012 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Godscreated