Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
RE: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
(October 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: ETA: Bill beat me to the punch. Curses!

Sorry, dude. I owe you a beer!

Big Grin
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
"Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain."

You do know I hope, the Hebrews did not believe in hell. Sheol was not hell. What. You never took Bible 101 ?
Jebus and his disciples were good Jews. They wouldn't have either, obviously.

So what you're trying to say is that your god is SO stupid, that she wouldn't actually know, if I said I believe, even if I really don't.
Now THAT'S one dumb-shit god.

:p
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
(October 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: "Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain."

You do know I hope, the Hebrews did not believe in hell. Sheol was not hell. What. You never took Bible 101 ?
Jebus and his disciples were good Jews. They wouldn't have either, obviously.

So what you're trying to say is that your god is SO stupid, that she wouldn't actually know, if I said I believe, even if I really don't.
Now THAT'S one dumb-shit god.

What?!! Are you saying the Idea of hell was an addition so that priests could threaten the people with something that they didn't have to come through with in real life? Perish the thought!

If a priest said god would "smite" you for a sin, and you didn't die, people would quickly learn to ignore the priest. But if the priest said that the punishment were to be after death where it is very very conveniently unverifiable, then the threat would continue to stick for the gullible people.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(October 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote:
(October 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: But why would we not be getting radio waves?
Most civilizations would be emitting them for at least 100 years.

This should answer Grace's question (assuming she takes the time to read this.)

"While it’s interesting to imagine how far our radio signals have traveled into space, it’s extremely unlikely that an alien will be able to catch the latest episode of ‘I Love Lucy’. This is thanks to the inverse square law. In Layman’s term, it’s a form of signal degradation.

As radio signals leave earth, they propagate out in a wave form. Just like dropping a stone in a lake, the waves diffuse or “spread out” over distance thanks to the exponentially larger area they must encompass. The area can be calculated by multiplying length times width which is why we measure it in square units – square centimeters, square miles, etc. This means that the further away from the source, the more square units of area a signal has to ‘illuminate’.inverse square law

Another way to think of it, is that the strength of a radio signal will be only 1/4 as great once you are twice the distance from the source. At ten times the distance, the strength of the signal would only be one hundredth as great.

Because of this inverse square law, all of our radio signals become indistinguishable from background noise at around a few light-years from earth. For a civilization only a couple hundred light-years away, trying to listen to our broadcasts would be like trying to detect the small ripple from a pebble dropped in the pacific ocean off the coast of California – from Japan."

So there you go, Grace, why we'll never hear a radio signal from space.

Do a little research before you ask a question, please.

I know of the inverse square law. that is why I only had the radio waves going out 600 light years.

You do know that scientists are searching space for such signals. If they could not be detected why are they searching?

(October 3, 2013 at 9:27 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: Life on Earth demonstrates that life in the universe is possible. Given that we have explored roughly 0% of it and have observed about 0% of it, it is fair to say we don't know if life does or doesn't exist elsewhere, but we know it's possible. Thus, the only logical conclusion is to look.

Life on Earth does not prove life anywhere else. God created life on Earth.

But some in this forum have posted that probability of life is 100%. Surely it should be in range.
(October 1, 2013 at 7:51 am)Lion IRC Wrote: No heaven or hell? In that case EVERYONE shares the same terminal outcome.
Given the existence of heaven and hell, it stands to reason that NOT EVERYONE shares the same existential boarding pass and seat allocation.
This is simple logic- not apologetics.

If you had stopped at the first line, you'd have arrived at the truth.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Re: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
Please provide evidence showing god did it.

Since this has never been done before but life has been shown to arise on one rock on its own on a planet, it means that the suitability and possibility of life existing in the universe is 100%. If it exists outside of Earth is unknown, but remains plausible.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 1, 2013 at 8:39 am)Lion IRC Wrote: In order for atheism to be true EVERY SINGLE RELIGION needs to be 100% falsified.
In order for theism to be true there only needs to be One God.

You still don't understand burden of proof.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Re: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
They can't all be right, but they can all be wrong.

Occams razor says it's the latter.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 4, 2013 at 6:33 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: I know of the inverse square law. that is why I only had the radio waves going out 600 light years.

You do know that scientists are searching space for such signals. If they could not be detected why are they searching?

No one will ever be able to truly fathom the immense size of the universe. But you simply don't understand quite how big it is.
Signals from far away would be indistinguishable from the background noise of the universe. Scientists are searching for signals because it would indicate that the source of the signal is relatively close.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(October 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm)Brakeman Wrote: If SavedByGraceThruFaith can't explain the Leidenfrost effect, then it is proof of the Finno-Ugric god Ukko, obviously!

Ukko kultanen kuningas
Vaari vanha taivahinen
Itse pilvien pitäjä
Hattaroitten hallitsija!

Fuck yeah, Ukko's the man (quite literally, since Ukko means 'old man')! Big Grin

And Grace, I'm still quite upset that you're ignoring me, when I try to ask you a question.. Dodgy
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3491 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 10385 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss Minimalist 31 5535 September 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheists and Agnostics have God Phatt Matt s 43 6414 April 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question for Deists and Agnostics themonkeyman 14 2860 November 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  How big a risk are we atheists taking by not capitulating to Christian hegemony? Whateverist 26 8092 September 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  How does Christianity gain ADULT converts? Marnie 25 9983 July 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Why do christians needlessly risk their immortal souls? GhostofZeus 6 3360 June 18, 2012 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Godscreated