Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The question that makes fundies hostile
RE: The question that makes fundies hostile
(November 25, 2013 at 11:07 pm)Drich Wrote:
(November 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: You are reaching.

Is there some sort of mechanism that goes off in your mind that makes you protect your evil god no matter how logical the argument in support of his evilness?

If God's standard is not being used to determine good and evil then by what sliding scale am I supposedly defending God against?

You poor, poor moral cripple.

(November 25, 2013 at 11:19 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(November 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm)Polaris Wrote: It really depends on the person, doesn't it?

All things being equal, yes. Sure.
But atheism and (Abrahamic) monotheism are very very far apart.
How many of the Ten Commandments does an atheist regard as morally righteous?

In my case? Zero. What is this 'righteous' you speak of? Must be related to that abomination of a moral code which sees nothing intrinsically wrong with slavery, that defines as "morally good" whatever their God is alleged to have said or done.
God did not endorse slavery by issuing rules about to minimize the injustice. Passing out condoms to teenagers is not an endorsement of premarital sex. It mitigates against the potential danger of a moment of weakness.
(December 2, 2013 at 10:18 am)ChadWooters Wrote: God did not endorse slavery by issuing rules about to minimize the injustice. Passing out condoms to teenagers is not an endorsement of premarital sex. It mitigates against the potential danger of a moment of weakness.

A true god would know his creation well enough to know not to proliferate slavery in any way because the words in the Bible are the word of god and are used to that end. The Civil war might not even have existed without the Bible conflicting brother against brother in what the word of god says and what the moral thing to do is.
Its clear to me who wrote the Bible and it wasn't god.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(November 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote:
(November 26, 2013 at 6:18 am)Ivy Wrote: My kids, my mom, my dad, my sister, my brother... none of which I own.
...So i would be free to take one of YOUR Kids if they are willing to get into my van and help me look for my lost puppy?

Gee, about a trillion neural connections more and you may yet reach consciousness. I don't think you have to be stupid to be a Christian, but I'm beginning to think the effort to make sense of the bible can cost you brain cells.

(December 2, 2013 at 10:18 am)ChadWooters Wrote: God did not endorse slavery by issuing rules about to minimize the injustice. Passing out condoms to teenagers is not an endorsement of premarital sex. It mitigates against the potential danger of a moment of weakness.

But why then make a flat out commandment against sleeping around when that too is common as dirt? What is it about promiscuity that calls for the absolute no, while owning another human being just gets the injunction to take good care of it?

Edit: Not "good" care really, just enough care to cover your ass if the poor thing expires from a beating that goes just a little too far.
(November 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(November 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm)Godlesspanther Wrote: I have noticed that if you ask a fundie whether they would prefer to live in a society in which same-sex marriage is legal or a society that allows slavery -- they get mad.

As I see it, they reason that this question bothers them so much is that it puts them in a bind. They are forced to admit that contemporary secular morality is obviously more advanced and rational than Biblical barbarism, or admit to being psychotic.

I'm a Fundie.
I would prefer to live in a society without slavery or same-sex 'marriage'.
...or greed or selfish, hedonistic sexual promiscuity, or abortion, or gambling, or drug dealers, or mental depression and self harm, or destruction of our beautiful environment, or weapons of mass destruction,

Hey, guess what, you're right. I AM getting angry.

Hey Stimbo, here's another FSTDT for ya.

Bible supports slavery.
As for greed, selfishness, drug dealers, mental depression, self harm, destruction and weapons you think christianity would solve those problems? Keep dreaming.

Now, really, honestly, do you believe the above? Really? Deep down? God's put rules together to minimize the injustice? REALLY????

Never crossed his mind to put in an extra commandment banning the ownership of slaves? Couldn't do it because....?
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Not enough room on the stone tablet and a 3 page document is likely to alienate casual readers
What I don't get is how someone can happily say, I'm a fundie --I believe others rights should be taken away and that they should live like I say. How utterly sad it must be, to think that if the world would just live like you say it should, things would be all hunky dorie.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

The difference being that this is the only scenario in which god felt he needed to "minimize harm," rather than just outright barring it, like he does with, say, wearing mixed fabrics, shaving, and homosexuality. It's just when it comes to slavery that the omnipotent god of creation, whose words are supposedly the laws of the land, who once drowned the entire world for not doing exactly what he said, and turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for turning around when he didn't say to, has to bow to the whims of us humans. Everywhere else, he's this my-way-or-the-smite-way god: since this new approach for slavery is so out of character, it's more rational to consider it a lazy apologetic by immoral christians.

Oh, and then again, I also suggested some easy rules the omniscient god of the bible could have thought up that would have radically changed the plight of the slaves into something positive, without upsetting the status quo too much, like... you know, not beating them. And letting them just work for you as a free man. And not tricking them into staying with you as property forever.

Am I just smarter than your god? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(December 2, 2013 at 10:18 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Passing out condoms to teenagers is not an endorsement of premarital sex. It mitigates against the potential danger of a moment of weakness.
I'm so happy to see a Christian say this.

Thank you for this ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak thread, Chad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 39345 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  The Fundies are Whining Again drfuzzy 20 4083 February 27, 2016 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Iceland makes blasphemy legal zebo-the-fat 31 5164 July 4, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  NdGT makes some Twitter Jokes...Jesus Freaks Minimalist 13 3545 December 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Jesus makes the Old Testament old hat? The Reality Salesman01 14 3490 April 30, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12443 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Church of England makes Chichester child abuse apology zebo-the-fat 7 3661 July 8, 2013 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Poor Fundies.....Hell is A Literary Construct, Too! Minimalist 128 59823 May 24, 2013 at 5:43 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Bullshit Makes The Flowers Grow Minimalist 5 2282 December 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Fundies Say I'm Not a Christian greneknight 51 18550 September 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Polaris