Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 11:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
of course, i'm getting nothing but excuses.

where is all that high powered intellectualism that's been championed about in this parts?

oh i get it, you can critique but you have no ideas of your own.
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(December 22, 2013 at 1:23 am)snowtracks Wrote: of course, i'm getting nothing but excuses.

where is all that high powered intellectualism that's been championed about in this parts?

oh i get it, you can critique but you have no ideas of your own.

why is god self evident? And which god is?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(December 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm)snowtracks Wrote: theism has no God of the gap problem.

Theism is a god of the gaps problem, and here it is:

(December 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm)snowtracks Wrote: the U. is here, and has a designer.

[Image: CitationNeeded.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 22, 2013 at 12:54 am)snowtracks Wrote: the atheists believe in nothing because they have nothing.

This statement has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is merely the revealingly judgemental arrogance of one who has nothing and knows it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 22, 2013 at 12:54 am)snowtracks Wrote: the atheists believe in nothing because they have nothing.

Why is it that some people like to put others into convenient boxes?

"You are an atheist therefore this" way to tell us what we think.

Atheism does not imply lack of belief in EVERYTHING only lack of belief in god.

Its easier for us because the stupid shit christians believe in is written in a book and conveniently numbered.

Atheism has no such thing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I believe you're an idiot?

Checkmate.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Snowtracks, stop being so childish. We don't know exactly how the universe, in this state, came to be. That however, does not, by default, make you correct.
And god is definately not self evident. If I stranded you on a deserted island with no humans at all and wiped your memory, you would never come up with anything like your christian god.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
There's a quote that was doing the rounds a little while back, to the effect of:

"Imagine if all of human knowledge and achievement were to be wiped out tomorrow. Given enough time, it's inevitable that all the major scientific discoveries would eventually be rediscovered. Every god that has ever been worshipped, however, would vanish forever."

In other words, nothing of any religion - the very existence of their gods, their prophets, their mythologies - can be derived from examining the Universe and assessing the evidence. None of it would ever be known outside their 'holy' texts. Which explains why every culture that has ever exploited the very lucrative idea of gods in whatever form have come up with so many completely different and only superficially compatible mythologies that, frankly, it must be a major source of embarrassment to their mouthpieces trying to sell their pet deity as the One True God.
(December 22, 2013 at 6:15 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: Snowtracks, stop being so childish. We don't know exactly how the universe, in this state, came to be. That however, does not, by default, make you correct.

This has been made clear in this topic from the beginning, which is why this thread has been ~68 pages of "god of the gaps." To deny that he's using that argument while repeatedly demanding an explanation for the origins of the universe is dishonest, but also very telling. If god was so evident, why are theists always trying to pull him out of the ever-shrinking gaps in human knowledge? Why do some of them (as evident throughout this topic) simply give up even trying and just repeat rote claims as if they were a talisman?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
To paraphrase Dickens, it seems the less a theist knows, the more he knows it
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Most Gays have a typical behavior of rejecting religions, because religions consider them as sinners (In Islam they deserve to be killed)
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I think you are too idiot to know the meaning of idiot for example you have a law to prevent boys under 16 from driving do you think that all boys under 16 are careless and cannot drive properly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2538 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1451 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4212 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 3034 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10518 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1856 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15452 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6420 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9964 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19455 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer