Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think jesus christ existed
RE: Do you think jesus christ existed
Quote:There may well have been a Jesus who had 12 apostles...or its complete bollocks or something in between.

Well when you find some evidence you be sure to let us know.

P.S. - the fucking gospels are not evidence.
(January 3, 2014 at 10:11 am)Aractus Wrote: Again, that's off-topic. There is evidence -

There is witnessing.

As a prophet, I know these things; but here, science can offer testimony with more explainatory power. That evolution teaches us of simulations in mind, that the reader becomes the protagonist, and god has no other identity but mine.

As an atheist, I don't ask you to accept the evidence above; the evolutionary concerns speak for themselves for those willing to listen. I learned that part from Job. Angel Cloud
Quote:Sceptical scholars would say the evidence is insufficient (but they'll still agree that he was baptized and that he called disciples and died on a cross).

And I keep wondering what that "evidence" might be and it always comes back to the fairy tales written in the NT. No where near good enough.
(January 3, 2014 at 10:11 am)Aractus Wrote:
(January 3, 2014 at 9:02 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Your deflections make it abundantly clear that you don't have evidence for the resurrection and that you fear the implications that arise from Jesus being a mere man.

But hey bro, I understand. It's a scary place to go.
Again, that's off-topic. There is evidence - Gospel evidence. Beyond that, yes, there is no further evidence (except of course for the sudden spread of the early Christian church itself, and if Jesus didn't appear to them then we don't know what motivated them after he had died). Sceptical scholars would say the evidence is insufficient (but they'll still agree that he was baptized and that he called disciples and died on a cross). You're not telling me anything I don't know, and you won't even discuss the on-topic discussion ... the evidence that Christ existed; not the evidence for each of the individual things he did or said.

Since you didn't create the thread you don't get to decide if I'm on topic or not. But as has been explained to you before, the gospels are not evidence. They might meet your low standards but ours are a bit higher.

And if the spread of the church is evidence does that mean that the spread of Mormonism means that Joe Smith really did read two magical gold plates in a hat?
Thought not.

And the reason I'm not discussing the evidence for Jc is because it's been done to death. None of the "evidence" is contemporary or convincing and yet you offer it up time after time despite us rejecting it every time.

So I prefer to examine the more important topic. Now I'm happy to start a thread on the subject but are you willing to defend jesus's divinity there?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Can we have this thread split please?
This has gone way off topic.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Locking thread pending split.

Holocaust denial derail split to here. Please keep it there.
Yes; and if I were an atheist, I would likely say the same.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:There is evidence - Gospel evidence.

Gospel evidence is not evidence....except of second century fraud.
You don't have evidence of fraud Min, you just have a fringe theory.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(January 3, 2014 at 3:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:There may well have been a Jesus who had 12 apostles...or its complete bollocks or something in between.

Well when you find some evidence you be sure to let us know.

P.S. - the fucking gospels are not evidence.

When I find evidence of what? You are as bad a the ChristiansMminimalist, when you aren't spouting off some conspiracy laden nonsense about banking and Republicanneoconnazis you act just like jesus freaks.

If you are making a definite claim then YOU must supply the proof. That is the onus we place on the Christians but somehow you think it doesn't apply to you.

The Gospels ARE evidence but they aren't very good evidence and certainly nowhere near enough to prove anything but they are sufficient to demonstrate cause to investigate further.

What you do NOT have is any evidence, let alone proof, that Jesus Christ did not exist because based on the evidence put forward so far the only rational,scientific answer has to be "we just don't know'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 52 3779 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 5794 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8812 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3853 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1465 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 4065 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1650 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3982 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 3240 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 2208 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich