Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Atheists
RE: Question for Atheists
(February 1, 2014 at 10:35 am)whateverist Wrote: Of course our being able to assemble these bodies of ours does not depend on science. But science more and more is revealing how we do it. If anything can be called miraculous -as in jaw-droppingly amazing- this is it.
And isn't it interesting how the continuity of our state of being and enduring sense of self seem to be entirely contingent upon the normative function of the precise replacement of these cells? To suggest that the mind is something that can endure continuity apart from the mind is faced with the problems caused on the mind by the impact of discontinuity of the material cells ability to seamlessly replace themselves. If the mind is something separate, then why is it that when physical cells fail to replace themselves, or replace themselves with bad cells, the result is degenerative brain diseases or other debilitative trauma? Such diseases have drastic negative impact on the mind's cognitive functions and the senses of consciousness which correspond to them. If the whole brain is damaged, what reason is there to think that the mind will be magically restored and maintain separate continuity apart from its physical vessel? Dualism is constructed of layer upon layer of impossibilities and irreconcilable problems such as these. Until a single substance explanation can be completely ruled out, I see no need in entertaining the absurdities of adding nonphysical "stuff", ectoplasm, pixie dust or any other magical substance to the equation. Let's figure out Infinity before we start entertaining the product of Infinity x Infinity...
(February 1, 2014 at 11:34 pm)rasetsu Wrote: It's Plato's fault.

Yeah - let's blame the cartoon dog.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
@The Reality Salesman

Exactly. I've heard it summarized roughly like this: if we have an immaterial soul in addition to our brain, it doesn't seem to *do* anything worth speaking of!
(February 1, 2014 at 2:23 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Nah, I've given lots of long thoughtful posts and am starting to get bored. As for your question, I advocate panentheist, process theology. And I really don't have time to explain all that. You can do your own research.
You have offered many thoughtful posts, Chad. I didn't know that you were an advocate of Panentheism. You've always struck me as an advocate of Christianity. I guess from your view, Christianity is not necessarily incompatible with what you hold to be true, but I think that Christianity is not compatible with your views. While your views allow afford Christians the right to be wrong, theirs don't seem to be quite as forgiving. When thinking about how power is made manifest, any theist position that is a proponent of Creatio ex Nihilo seems to be reduced to either Pantheism, Panentheism or some other absurd movement of the goal posts. I think I tend to be a little more accepting of pantheism, but instead of God, universe suits me just fine. To use "God" in a pantheistic context seems intentionally ambiguous. To me, Panentheism is an unnecessary complication to the whole thing, and while I disagree with you, I do appreciate you taking the time to discuss it. I hope we can come back to it another time.

(February 2, 2014 at 6:03 pm)Alex K Wrote: @The Reality Salesman

Exactly. I've heard it summarized roughly like this: if we have an immaterial soul in addition to our brain, it doesn't seem to *do* anything worth speaking of!

And anything that is indistinguishable from nothing, might just as well be nothing as far as I'm concerned. Coincidentally, this is a great argument against God and His nothing-like properties.
(February 2, 2014 at 5:48 pm)The Reality Salesman Wrote: Let's figure out Infinity before we start entertaining the product of Infinity x Infinity...

[Image: To%2Binfinity%2Band%2Bbeyond.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
That's fucking impressive! My son has that toy and it's pretty damn big. I don't know how that wizard crammed that thing into the southern orifice of their choosing, and I don't want to know. When a magician reveals their secret, they remove the luster. Bravo!
Reality_salesman, do you consider pantheism as nature elevated or God demystified or are those one in the same?
That all depends on the pantheist that's peddling the position, I guess. I think I'd be more accepting of a demystifying God approach, but only because I don't care for the mystifying attributes I normally hear being prescribed to God(s). But if in the end, we're just talking about the universe, I prefer to just call it that. God seems to complicate discussions about nature. Good question. I guess those are two distinct ways of looking at it. I don't really know too many pantheists, and I'm not sure how many versions are out there. I think my opinion would probably vary, just like they do with the more common Monotheist propositions.
Poor Buzz...
I always thought woody would end up there one day.....guess I was wrong
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 5308 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 15709 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2351 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 61111 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 25115 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 27609 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 13130 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 25790 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 10045 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 12277 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4