Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Atheists
RE: Question for Atheists
(March 16, 2014 at 2:06 pm)Deidre32 Wrote:
(January 30, 2014 at 11:48 pm)Lek Wrote: I have a powerful desire to know why the universe exists and our purpose for existence as individuals. I don't see science as a way to discover this. Do atheists search for the same thing and, if so, what is their source or method? I think most atheists don't see any purpose at all.

The purpose of life is unique for every person. As every person's life is unique. The purpose of a religious person's life, as I was once one, is to keep gazing at a supposed after life. Christians especially have their eyes here, and their eyes focused elsewhere, which to me is a selfish way to live THIS life. Becoming preoccupied with an after life, if one exists, robs a person of his/her life, here and now. Undecided

Fixating on an after life to me, cheapens this existence, and how often do we hear Christianity preach that ''we are here temporarily, it's the after life that matters most.''

Sad to me, really.

Christ teachings were quite relevant to life on earth. He was concerned with improving the lot of the poor and sick. He didn't just say "suffer now, but heaven is coming, but healed and fed. His parables were mostly all about life situations which also carried a spiritual message. Christians are concerned with life on earth, as we were called to care for all of creation. I need to support my family and prefer to find work that is satisfying. I've got a house and a couple of cars, but they will be gone some day. I'm always looking for enjoyment in this life, but it is temporary and the best is yet to come. I find enjoyment in commenting on this forum. Of course, there are avenues that I don't pursue because they are against God's desires. But, like I said before, going after those things which provided temporary pleasure, didn't provide fufillment or satisfaction. I have received more satisfaction from christianity. Though I don't see this as happening, if I'm wrong I won't care because there will be nothing left of me after death to regret my life here.
(March 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm)Lek Wrote: We're making comments abut how we think the afterlife will be, mostly based on human perceptions gained from experiences in this world. Scripture says it will be great, and since I have chosen to believe scripture, that what I'm looking forward to. As for my life here - I lived trying to do it my way for quite awhile and didn't find it fufilling. I believe in Christ. This is where I find my fufillment here and I'm also looking forward to the life to come.

So it's all a matter of opinion?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm)Lek Wrote:
(March 16, 2014 at 2:06 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: The purpose of life is unique for every person. As every person's life is unique. The purpose of a religious person's life, as I was once one, is to keep gazing at a supposed after life. Christians especially have their eyes here, and their eyes focused elsewhere, which to me is a selfish way to live THIS life. Becoming preoccupied with an after life, if one exists, robs a person of his/her life, here and now. Undecided

Fixating on an after life to me, cheapens this existence, and how often do we hear Christianity preach that ''we are here temporarily, it's the after life that matters most.''

Sad to me, really.

Christ teachings were quite relevant to life on earth. He was concerned with improving the lot of the poor and sick. He didn't just say "suffer now, but heaven is coming, but healed and fed. His parables were mostly all about life situations which also carried a spiritual message. Christians are concerned with life on earth, as we were called to care for all of creation. I need to support my family and prefer to find work that is satisfying. I've got a house and a couple of cars, but they will be gone some day. I'm always looking for enjoyment in this life, but it is temporary and the best is yet to come. I find enjoyment in commenting on this forum. Of course, there are avenues that I don't pursue because they are against God's desires. But, like I said before, going after those things which provided temporary pleasure, didn't provide fufillment or satisfaction. I have received more satisfaction from christianity. Though I don't see this as happening, if I'm wrong I won't care because there will be nothing left of me after death to regret my life here.

I wish all Christians would speak as you do. You, are speaking from your heart, and not ''preaching.'' For that, I thank you.

I suppose we will all find out for certain, one way or the other, after we die. That's the common ground EVERYONE shares, regardless of the labels. Smile
Quote:I suppose we will all find out for certain, one way or the other, after we die. That's the common ground EVERYONE shares, regardless of the labels. Smile

We agree. Also, thanks for the compliment.
(March 11, 2014 at 5:30 am)Alex K Wrote: @Khansins

Quote:

Also, Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Anyways, the sad thing about the text which you quote, apart from the fact that it is a more boring rehash of Paley's watchmaker argument... what I find so irritating is that the preacher is apparently willfully ignorant. He either lies or is wrong about several things which are well understood by science - he is just not on the necessary level of scientific discourse to be taken seriously by me, in other words, he sounds like an idiot. Case in point:

(March 11, 2014 at 1:55 am)Khansins Wrote: Think about this. This earth is one planet in our solar system, and our solar system is one [of possible many] solar systems. Our galaxy, The Milky Way, is one of the galaxies. There are ONE HUNDRED MILLION GALAXIES in the universe. They are all in order and they are all precise. They are not colliding with each other.
(emphasis of particularly stupid parts mine)
First of all, it's one hundred BILLION galaxies in the observable universe. Well, whatever, three orders of magnitude can happen. We know that there are many many other solar systems, but hey, maybe the latest Kepler data eluded the writer of these lines.
The point is, whoever wrote this rant apparently didn't bother to really learn anything about the cosmos, and that really makes me sad, because such ignorance is passed on to people like you.

Of course Galaxies collide, not only are Galaxies like ours formed by collisions of smaller ones, indeed we are in a collision course with Andromeda. Here's a many particle simulation for you depicting the development in the next few billion years

[Image: tumblr_mf6ruoJDpi1rd0rbzo1_500.gif]

I'll leave you with an inspirational picture of NGC5426 while you can contemplate how profoundly you are being misled.

[Image: lossy-page1-300px-Arp_271.tif.jpg]

By the way, that's a photo, not an artist's impression. Reality is so much more interesting than the simplistic fairy tales of your preachers. And I'm not even going into the complete ignorance of evolution on display here.

Quote:Think about the brain for a moment.
Think about the heart.
Think about your eyes

[Image: 47062479.jpg]

Alright. So let me explain this. What he meant was this. Everything in this world is in correct order and in perfect calm state. When sun rises in the morning from the east , it will always rise from the east. It will never rise from the west. But when it does , that day will be the Day of Judgement( Our belief ). All the Universe's particles are in constant struggle with each other. The collision in cosmos is also a struggle to achieve a perfect order. 99% of the universe is expanding. They expand by either struggle or collision with other particles.

So by saying that nothing collides with each other is Ofcourse wrong. And I perceive that the speaker was well aware of the fact i just described above. Clash of things must happen to gain a content state in this universe.
(March 10, 2014 at 2:39 am)Khansins Wrote: Also see this. Scientific Research of Prayer: Can the Power of Prayer Be Proven?

By Debra Williams, D.D. ( http://www.plim.org/PrayerDeb.htm)

Do you really call that a scientific paper?

The rest of your citations weren't any better.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
"But how can an eye have evolved??"

Billions of years.

I often think that people who think evolution is false fail to remember just how long billions of years actually is.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(March 18, 2014 at 2:40 am)Khansins Wrote: So by saying that nothing collides with each other is Ofcourse wrong. And I perceive that the speaker was well aware of the fact i just described above.

I am aware that you have to do this kind of gymnastics in order to remain religious, reinterpreting the obvious to mean the opposite, but please understand that I am not quite as well-trained in the art of bending over backwards as you.

Oh no, he wasn't aware, he said "They are all in order and they are all precise. They are not colliding with each other". That's what he said, if he meant the opposite but it's impossible to tell from the text, what other things does he maybe mean completely differently from what is actually in the text? Maybe he really wants you to become an atheist, because by "belief in God" he really means "there is no God"?
(March 18, 2014 at 11:14 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 18, 2014 at 2:40 am)Khansins Wrote: So by saying that nothing collides with each other is Ofcourse wrong. And I perceive that the speaker was well aware of the fact i just described above.

I am aware that you have to do this kind of gymnastics in order to remain religious, reinterpreting the obvious to mean the opposite, but please understand that I am not quite as well-trained in the art of bending over backwards as you.

Oh no, he wasn't aware, he said "They are all in order and they are all precise. They are not colliding with each other". That's what he said, if he meant the opposite but it's impossible to tell from the text, what other things does he maybe mean completely differently from what is actually in the text? Maybe he really wants you to become an atheist, because by "belief in God" he really means "there is no God"?

It's like when folk say the Quran says the Earth was/is a sphere, despite the fact it really isn't a sphere at all.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(March 18, 2014 at 2:40 am)Khansins Wrote: Alright. So let me explain this. What he meant was this. Everything in this world is in correct order and in perfect calm state. When sun rises in the morning from the east , it will always rise from the east. It will never rise from the west. But when it does , that day will be the Day of Judgement( Our belief ).

Well done for confirming that there can never be a 'Day of Judgement'.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4767 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 14257 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2231 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 57490 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 22349 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 23815 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 12120 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 23667 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9485 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11478 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4