Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 6, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument #1: Transitional Fossils
RE: Argument #1: Transitional Fossils
(April 27, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: How do I go about suggesting a rule change for the board?
Try becoming a contributing member first.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 27, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 27, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Esquilax Wrote: You can do both: I'm a patient guy and am willing to wait as long as you need to compose your debate posts, no worries. I just like debating evolution, and you seem very convinced of your position; you might be able to convert a few people with longer posts that'll attract an audience, like a debate would... Angel

How do I go about suggesting a rule change for the board?

By showing you are not a mere wish thinking moron and imagined facts owe you or you god any favors.
(April 27, 2014 at 10:46 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 27, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: How do I go about suggesting a rule change for the board?

By showing you are not a mere wish thinking moron and imagined facts owe you or you god any favors.

I got my answer from Stimbo, thank you.
You didn't thank me, I notice.

<pout>
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 27, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 27, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Esquilax Wrote: You can do both: I'm a patient guy and am willing to wait as long as you need to compose your debate posts, no worries. I just like debating evolution, and you seem very convinced of your position; you might be able to convert a few people with longer posts that'll attract an audience, like a debate would... Angel

How do I go about suggesting a rule change for the board?

By showing you are not a mere wish thinking moron who imagined scientific facts owe you, or what you imagine to be you god boy, any favors.
(April 27, 2014 at 10:03 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: With all due respect to Augustine, my intentions are not to misrepresent the Scripture.

Let's go through it step by step.

Quote:"Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking non-sense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. "

1: Non-Christians can know about the things he mentioned and these come under the heading of science.

2: If a Christian talks nonsense about these things it makes Christianity look bad.

Quote:If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason?

3: Christians who talk rubbish in science discussions give non-Christians the idea that the Bible is rubbish because only uneducated people believe what it says.

Quote:For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although 'they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.

4: Christians who use Holy Scripture to back up their ignorance about science make Christianity look even worse.

Ken Ham and other Young Earth Creationists use the Bible to back up their nonsense and they are an embarrassment to Christians who have accepted scientific findings about the age of the Earth. These Christians have different views about how we got here because some of them believe that God created things in stages while others go for evolution being the way God did it.

Why do you think so many Christian sites have articles debunking Young Earth Creation?
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
First, rev is shown the actual science:

(April 26, 2014 at 8:42 pm)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:

And then he goes on to show just how he didn't read, much less understand, that science...

(April 27, 2014 at 9:18 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, was only argument #1.... I wonder how open to research rev777 will be for the other 6 arguments...Undecided

Such seems to be the creationist model: spew faulty arguments and refuse to listen and acknowledge the corrections made.

My desire to participate in debunking the other arguments is waning...
(April 28, 2014 at 4:32 am)pocaracas Wrote: And this, ladies and gentlemen, was only argument #1.... I wonder how open to research rev777 will be for the other 6 arguments...Undecided

Such seems to be the creationist model: spew faulty arguments and refuse to listen and acknowledge the corrections made.

Not to mention I also dealed with the whole platypus thing. If he is going to be like this he might as well not make a argument #2.It might not even deal with evolution but astronomy.
[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
I'm still astonished that in the 21st century we are still even having this argument.

What's next Rev? Germ theory is false and diseases are really caused by demons?

Or the stars are just pretty lights in the sky?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 28, 2014 at 4:32 am)pocaracas Wrote: First, rev is shown the actual science:

(April 26, 2014 at 8:42 pm)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:

And then he goes on to show just how he didn't read, much less understand, that science...

(April 27, 2014 at 9:18 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, was only argument #1.... I wonder how open to research rev777 will be for the other 6 arguments...Undecided

I'm sorry you feel that way. I respect everyone's views. However, please consider mine as well. If you are not interested in Argument #2, I understand.

(April 28, 2014 at 6:52 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I'm still astonished that in the 21st century we are still even having this argument.

When looking at them poetically they are indeed.

(April 28, 2014 at 6:52 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I'm still astonished that in the 21st century we are still even having this argument.

Germs no, but their is a devil and he has his minions. I hope you aren't influenced by them? Well, He might not be worried about you since you don't believe in Him but could very well be keeping to his agenda. Devil