Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
(May 13, 2014 at 7:08 pm)Lek Wrote: He can communicate with me any way he wants. I believe he's communicated with me through situations or signs. He might talk to me in words some day. I don't know. I don't particularly need him to do so. What are you getting at?

Odd that he can only communicate with people who believe he's real, using methods that only make sense to people who want them to and cannot be sensed by anybody else.

Which all goes to show that one of the biggest flaws in the practice of modern mental health is that it treats this kind of behavior as a sign of mental illness, unless you say it's God.
(May 15, 2014 at 3:59 pm)Lek Wrote:
(May 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm)Brakeman Wrote: So god hasn't spoken to you directly yet??
Do you think that perhaps you had a faulty baptism? In the new testament some believers accepted Christ per John's teaching (John 3:16) but had a faulty baptism and because of that the Holy Ghost hadn't come to them yet.
Just like you, they weren't getting any direct communication from god via the holy spook despite their very sincere prayers. Paul saw their problem and fixed that.
It seems that Paul had to re-baptize them to get it right so that they could receive the holy spirit that they had been missing. Do you think this could be your problem? To reference this, it is found in Acts 19.

Just think, one little screw up at the baptism, and you've been going for years in a pool of self delusion thinking god just doesn't have anything to say to you, but in your reality, you just have a messed up phone line to god and you didn't know it... I think you should get re-baptized right away, your ghost line answering service must be full of important messages from god himself... Maybe he wants you to build another boat?

You've got a real problem with biblical interpretation.

The only way to read the bible is to interpret it as the majority of it is so seemingly cryptic and full of allegory and metaphor (or literal if that's how you interpret it).

There's nothing to suggest anyone's interpretation is more valid than someone else's.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(May 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm)Brakeman Wrote: So god hasn't spoken to you directly yet??
Do you think that perhaps you had a faulty baptism? In the new testament some believers accepted Christ per John's teaching (John 3:16) but had a faulty baptism and because of that the Holy Ghost hadn't come to them yet.
Just like you, they weren't getting any direct communication from god via the holy spook despite their very sincere prayers. Paul saw their problem and fixed that.
It seems that Paul had to re-baptize them to get it right so that they could receive the holy spirit that they had been missing. Do you think this could be your problem? To reference this, it is found in Acts 19.

Just think, one little screw up at the baptism, and you've been going for years in a pool of self delusion thinking god just doesn't have anything to say to you, but in your reality, you just have a messed up phone line to god and you didn't know it... I think you should get re-baptized right away, your ghost line answering service must be full of important messages from god himself... Maybe he wants you to build another boat?

You've got a real problem with biblical interpretation. I'll just stick with the baptism I had, but thanks anyway for the advice.

Oh Really? How do you interpret the actions in Acts 19? Why did Paul have to re-baptize them? They were already believers, they had repented, and they believed in John's follower, jesus, so using your "biblical interpretation" what was the purpose? Why wouldn't the Holy spirit come unto the men who were already disciples?

19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+19
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Quote:4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
And then he baptized Jesus, at Jesus' own request, because the son of god needed to... repent? Believe in himself? Mess with John's mind?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I recently started seeing a trauma therapist. She's obviously Christian, as she has already excused my trauma with regards to religion as being implemented by a not true Christian. I'd love to see her in a room with him honestly.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Sounds like a poor therapist, to be honest.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

You've got a real problem with biblical interpretation. I'll just stick with the baptism I had, but thanks anyway for the advice.

So you're saying the infallible word of God as contained in a book is being misinterpreted by someone reading the book as it was intended to be read, because they read the verses in order instead of the order you would prefer them to be read in?

Or did they fail to presuppose the truths you claim you derived from reading the bible by not reading the bible "correctly?"
(May 15, 2014 at 7:58 pm)Tonus Wrote:
Quote:4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
And then he baptized Jesus, at Jesus' own request, because the son of god needed to... repent? Believe in himself? Mess with John's mind?

To set an example.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(May 15, 2014 at 3:59 pm)Lek Wrote: You've got a real problem with biblical interpretation. I'll just stick with the baptism I had, but thanks anyway for the advice.

Oh Really? How do you interpret the actions in Acts 19? Why did Paul have to re-baptize them? They were already believers, they had repented, and they believed in John's follower, jesus, so using your "biblical interpretation" what was the purpose? Why wouldn't the Holy spirit come unto the men who were already disciples?

19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

Evidently, they hadn't accepted that Jesus was the Son of God. They were to believe in the one coming after John, which was Jesus.
(May 15, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Lek Wrote:
(May 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Oh Really? How do you interpret the actions in Acts 19? Why did Paul have to re-baptize them? They were already believers, they had repented, and they believed in John's follower, jesus, so using your "biblical interpretation" what was the purpose? Why wouldn't the Holy spirit come unto the men who were already disciples?

Evidently, they hadn't accepted that Jesus was the Son of God. They were to believe in the one coming after John, which was Jesus.

Nice apologetic try, but no, he said clearly that they already believed. If you take the idea that they didn't believe in jesus yet, then the first line falls apart, that they were believers and disciples. Furthermore, it was john that baptized jesus. John definitely was preaching about the correct god and jesus in christian doctrine. Are you claiming that John the baptist was not in touch with the correct god? Was he a mormon or something?

Besides if you did have a correct baptism, you should be hearing messages from the holy spirit, just like these twelve, yet you don't. I'm sure they used to think that they were supposed to have their conversations with god through the scriptures as well, just like you.

{or else they were delusional, just_like_you.}
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 45115 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91861 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11934 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7646 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 6024 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A club exists at my school for the purpose of evangelizing students Marnie 84 35086 May 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: catfish
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3218 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6428 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3377 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2784 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre