Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An unorthodox belief in God.
RE: An unorthodox belief in God.
I think this is the first time i've actually seen two theists argue, I was kind of expecting the equivalent of chimps throwing shit at each other, for some reason I don't think I will be disappointed.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(June 9, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Again, predictable. You appear to be completely unaware of the research in this field.

He seems to be completely unaware of sarcasm, too; and under the impression that he's succeeding at something. There are sign-language-using gorillas who show more evidence of posessing self-awareness than this man.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:33 pm)mickiel Wrote: 'Yet again, your evidence isn't being rejected because you haven't presented any.'--Mister Agenda

Once again:
http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/genera...l-113.html

That isn't what evidence is, as has been explained. What would actually be evidence has been explained. Yet you post the same thing.

I'm beginning to think the reason you can't recognize consciousness in certain animals is because you don't actually possess it yourself. You lack the faculties to carry on a conversation at a third-grade level (my apologies to any third-graders who may be justifiably offended by that comparison) and don't even know when you're making a fool of yourself. Even animals can be embarassed when they do something stupid, but you sail on obliviously.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: Because creation requires a mind, the universe has none.

This is a claim, not evidence. If you don't support it, we are justified in dismissing it out of hand as a bare assertion.

(June 9, 2014 at 4:50 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires planning, the universe itself has no self or plan

This is a claim, not evidence. If you don't support it, we are justified in dismissing it out of hand as a bare assertion.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires raw beginning birth power, the universe has none

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires laws, the universe had none before it was to be

Thanks for saying something different enough to require a different answer. Laws are descriptions of how the universe behaves. They don't apply before it exists, and if the universe behaved differently, it would just have different laws.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires reason, the universe cannot reason of itself
It requires ingredients, the universe prior had none
It requires knowledge, the universe has no knowledge
It requires experience, the universe had no experience

All: This is a claim, not evidence. If you don't support it, we are justified in dismissing it out of hand as a bare assertion.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires water, the universe had no water

We know how the universe got water. Learn some 5th-grade science, if you're able.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires matter, the universe had no matter
It requires gravity, the universe had none

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It requires chemicals, the universe had no chemicals

We know how the universe got chemicals. Learn some 5th-grade science, if you're able.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: It required power to be maintained, the universe just had no such power.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm)mickiel Wrote: Its academic, there must be a God!

That sentence doesn't even make sense.

(June 9, 2014 at 10:55 pm)mickiel Wrote: Riddle me this, how could abundant space come from absolute nothing?

What absolute nothing? We've never claimed there was ever absolutely nothing.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(June 10, 2014 at 9:09 am)archangle Wrote: lmao ... if we need references as proof then maybe we, or the person that needs it, should shut the fuk up.

Talk about a dope. I didn't know until recently that it is considered kind of normal to have two accounts to berate somebody. A guy named tee-no taught me that. But I have limits. It aint all about me I guess.

What the fuck are you talking about?
(June 10, 2014 at 9:05 am)mickiel Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 12:00 am)Esquilax Wrote:

The request for me to stop the poetry is denied. Now, give me an exhaustive full explinatory reason why animals are conscious.

See links, dummy.
(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote:
(June 9, 2014 at 11:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: It's not believing in some sort of God that makes him religious, it's all the things he believes about that God.
Aren't those two ideas united? Because I thought that once you start believing in a creator you are already giving him an identity. Or in most cases you start believing in the identity it is teached to you from the religious people that you interact.

You may not have encountered people who believe in a nebulous, undefined God of whose purpose and will they don't claim to have knowledge. It's often phrased as 'I believe in...Something out there, behind all this, man.' Such people are usually not what could reasonably be described as 'religious'. I suppose they could be described as 'agnostic theists'.

(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Because people even believers at the beginning they also had many questions about god by natural curiosity. So they start either accepting or giving him attributes, about there is a purpose for their creations, and about there are things that your deity don't like, and about the elements that your deity represents.

That's very common, but it's not universal. Iceland, for instance, seems to be chock full of 'Somethingists'.

(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Could you explain yourself your statement because I'm confused. Tell me you are talking about mickiel or in general?

In general. Neither theism nor atheism are religions, they are differing opinions on one topic. Mere theism doesn't imply religion. Lots of people believe in 'some sort of God' without being religious.

(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Because I dunno if you are refuting what I just said because of his individual ideas or because you find my statement flawed and can't be applied to anyone.

I'm not sure it's flawed, but it can't be applied to everyone who believes there's a God.
(June 10, 2014 at 11:22 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Aren't those two ideas united? Because I thought that once you start believing in a creator you are already giving him an identity. Or in most cases you start believing in the identity it is teached to you from the religious people that you interact.

You may not have encountered people who believe in a nebulous, undefined God of whose purpose and will they don't claim to have knowledge. It's often phrased as 'I believe in...Something out there, behind all this, man.' Such people are usually not what could reasonably be described as 'religious'. I suppose they could be described as 'agnostic theists'.

(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Because people even believers at the beginning they also had many questions about god by natural curiosity. So they start either accepting or giving him attributes, about there is a purpose for their creations, and about there are things that your deity don't like, and about the elements that your deity represents.

That's very common, but it's not universal. Iceland, for instance, seems to be chock full of 'Somethingists'.

(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Could you explain yourself your statement because I'm confused. Tell me you are talking about mickiel or in general?

In general. Neither theism nor atheism are religions, they are differing opinions on one topic. Mere theism doesn't imply religion. Lots of people believe in 'some sort of God' without being religious.

(June 10, 2014 at 2:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: Because I dunno if you are refuting what I just said because of his individual ideas or because you find my statement flawed and can't be applied to anyone.

I'm not sure it's flawed, but it can't be applied to everyone who believes there's a God.

Anyone who holds a belief that one religious text takes precedence over another does not fit in this category.
(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: Please, don't try to manipulate an association between me and a hell monger. I am not Christian, mainly because I reject over 70& of their doctrines, this insane eternal hell torture is one of them, and atheist being condemned is another. Every atheist who ever lived and died was covered by the death of Christ, their salvation is based on that, not their predestined rejection of god.

I don't have much quarrel with Universalists usually, they're a nice bunch. Just noting that what makes someone a Christian is belief in the teachings of Jesus and that Jesus was the son of God or God incarnate whose blameless sacrifice gives salvation. Given over 30,000 denominations, pretty much everything else is up for grabs. So it's that part you should not believe if you're not a Christian.

(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: I will deal with him myself. I got just as much in store for him, if he can take it, as I do for the atheist here. I am guessing the atheist here are strong enough to take it, because I am going to bang harder each week; I noticed some of you are bowing out already;

You'll see more of that as the boredom sets in.

(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: can't say I blame you, some of you can sense what's coming;

Yeah, more spamming and trolling.

(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: but first I am going to cripple you're often used shield of " Give me proof and evidence", you're get out of conversation, ( or jail card free), rehearsed request , that when given, you get lame about and use it again anyway; thinking all proof must be scientific, when all proof is no such limited thing.

It's actually how we get into conversation. We've gotten a lot of theists through here, but you're unique in your complete inability comprehend what an actual honest discussion should be like. Others show at least transient glimpses of awarenes and offer something that could possibly go somewhere, but you seem to be incapable of that.

(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: And I am going to go into that.

Yeah, we never get people coming through here braggin' about what they're gonna do. You're a special snowflake.

(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: My name is Michael Lesueur, email is listed on site, I post only under the name Mickiel; I need no alter ego to get this truth out. I believe in being for real.

I think you believe in being for real, but I don't think you know how.

(June 10, 2014 at 8:51 am)mickiel Wrote: You just get ready, because I am going to seriously push your trump card defense of asking for proof, asking for things that when you get it, you are pre primed to reject it any way.

Sure you are.

(June 10, 2014 at 11:24 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Anyone who holds a belief that one religious text takes precedence over another does not fit in this category.

Which was my original point. It's not his belief in God that makes him religious, it's his beliefs about God.
(June 10, 2014 at 9:05 am)mickiel Wrote: Now, give me an exhaustive full explinatory reason why animals are conscious.

My dining room table has never been happy to see me when I get home from work. My dogs on the other hand....

Certainly this is not definitive proof, but animals exhibiting emotion and intentionality is compelling. Nobody can deny their capacity to suffer. Some species can pass the mirror test for self awareness, something infant humans cannot do. Scientists are in consensus regarding animals having the right 'equipment' for consciousness.

From the Cambridge Declaration On Consciousness:
Quote:“The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Nonhuman animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.”

http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeDe...usness.pdf
(June 9, 2014 at 7:28 pm)mickiel Wrote: Animals are not conscious, they are instinctly aware.
I have a differing experience from your own in this matter. Tell me, how did you arrive at this conclusion? Did you ask an animal? And what about plants - are they conscious?

These are sincere questions.
Mercy, there is such human chauvinism over consciousness.
Self aware neural nets aren't any more amazing assemblages of molecules useful to an organism than legs or fingers.
Self preservation is much easier when one recognizes there is a self to preserve. Natural selection takes it from there and keeps self awareness a highly preserved trait.
Why all the hubub? Bub?
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3573 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6964 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1853 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4280 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 27943 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7818 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6841 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Knowledge, belief, and honesty. Mystic 29 3886 March 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 15242 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 26188 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111