Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Abortion is morally wrong
RE: Abortion is morally wrong
Oh lord it's Heywood. Hello, love. Take out your dictionary and notice that murder is the unlawfully killing of a person. Wink
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
For my part, I don't really care about definitions and legal terminology, here; definitions change and there's no guarantee that laws will be morally correct or even particularly effective at what they set out to do. What I'm more interested in is the moral argument: is abortion morally justifiable?

Barring bare assertions and equivocations, I've yet to really see a cogently made argument that it's not.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 20, 2014 at 8:06 am)Heywood Wrote:
(June 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But the law is against you. Fetuses are not human beings.

This brings you back to the status of mere busy-body trying to inject your religion (btw, your 'god' had no problem with killing babies let alone fetuses) onto someone else.

Negative Minimalist.

Fetuses are protected human beings under the law in many jurisdictions. Abortion is not murder because muder is the unlawful killing of another human being. Abortion is lawful so it is not technically murder. If you kill a fetus without the mothers consent you can be convicted of murder(because doing so is an unlawful killing of another human being). Scott Peterson was convicted of the murder in California of two human beings....one of which was the unborn child of Laci Peterson. There are several other instances of people being convicted of murder by assaulting pregnant women and causing them to miscarry.

So the mother's consent is what the law is based around in this regard. Fair enough.

But what does this have to do with the mother's choice to abort if she wishes to?
(June 20, 2014 at 8:38 am)Irrational Wrote:
(June 20, 2014 at 8:06 am)Heywood Wrote: Negative Minimalist.

Fetuses are protected human beings under the law in many jurisdictions. Abortion is not murder because muder is the unlawful killing of another human being. Abortion is lawful so it is not technically murder. If you kill a fetus without the mothers consent you can be convicted of murder(because doing so is an unlawful killing of another human being). Scott Peterson was convicted of the murder in California of two human beings....one of which was the unborn child of Laci Peterson. There are several other instances of people being convicted of murder by assaulting pregnant women and causing them to miscarry.

So the mother's consent is what the law is based around in this regard. Fair enough.

But what does this have to do with the mother's choice to abort if she wishes to?

I was just disputing Minimalist's claim that fetuses are not human beings under the law.....they are. I'm still burnt out from the last abortion thread so I have no intention in getting into the nuts and bolts of this one.
(June 20, 2014 at 8:53 am)Heywood Wrote:
(June 20, 2014 at 8:38 am)Irrational Wrote: So the mother's consent is what the law is based around in this regard. Fair enough.

I was just disputing Minimalist's claim that fetuses are not human beings under the law.....they are. I'm still burnt out from the last abortion thread so I have no intention in getting into the nuts and bolts of this one.

I don't know what the laws in America say, but (as far as I'm concerned) the abortion debate should not really be about whether or not fetuses are human beings or persons.
(June 20, 2014 at 3:15 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You haven't given a reason in your preempt.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The argument here, as far as I can tell, is over the definition of personhood and when it is morally and/or legally allowed to kill a person. It has not been challenged that it is morally and/or legally impermissible to kill a living non-person. There is also confusion between what is a person and what is a 'human being.' I'm going to use these terms interchangeably and reserve the term 'human tissue' for flesh which has a complete human genome but is not a person.
The definition I've seen here used by Arthur123 is incorporated in the claim that the fertilized egg is a human being. Justification for this claim appears to lie in the property of that egg to potentially develop into a person/human being if properly cared for.

Quote:Both sperm and egg are not human beings, and neither are isolated human cells. Arthur is defending the rights of human beings.

My contra-example question revolves around whether or not it is permissible to terminate the tissue in, for example, his inner cheek which, if properly cared for, can potentially develop into a person/human through the technical process of cloning. As an 'isolated human cell' it shares the same potential as the fertilized egg and I question why it is not afforded the same legal and/or moral rights.

I hope this clarifies. In return, could you please explain further your claim that
Quote:The zygote is a human being according to science.
Your use of the phrase 'according to science,' is pretty vague.

So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(June 20, 2014 at 8:29 am)Esquilax Wrote: For my part, I don't really care about definitions and legal terminology, here; definitions change and there's no guarantee that laws will be morally correct or even particularly effective at what they set out to do. What I'm more interested in is the moral argument: is abortion morally justifiable?

Barring bare assertions and equivocations, I've yet to really see a cogently made argument that it's not.

I just hate that he intentionally says it wrong just to help him prove his point, because the real definition doesn't work for him. It just drives me crazy.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 20, 2014 at 8:56 am)Irrational Wrote:
(June 20, 2014 at 8:53 am)Heywood Wrote: I was just disputing Minimalist's claim that fetuses are not human beings under the law.....they are. I'm still burnt out from the last abortion thread so I have no intention in getting into the nuts and bolts of this one.

I don't know what the laws in America say, but (as far as I'm concerned) the abortion debate should not really be about whether or not fetuses are human beings or persons.

Debating if fetuses are human beings is like debating if the earth is round. You are correct in that we should not be debating whether or not fetuses are human beings as this is completely obvious(except to the stupid and incredulous). Personhood has a place in the debate I think so I disagree with you there.
(June 20, 2014 at 9:12 am)Heywood Wrote:
(June 20, 2014 at 8:56 am)Irrational Wrote: I don't know what the laws in America say, but (as far as I'm concerned) the abortion debate should not really be about whether or not fetuses are human beings or persons.

Debating if fetuses are human beings is like debating if the earth is round. You are correct in that we should not be debating whether or not fetuses are human beings as this is completely obvious(except to the stupid and incredulous). Personhood has a place in the debate I think so I disagree with you there.

No, it shouldn't. I said it before. This isn't about fetuses being persons or not. Rather, this is about fetus' rights (if they have any) vs host's rights.

Person argument is a red herring and, in my opinion, disingenuous.
(June 20, 2014 at 9:18 am)Irrational Wrote:
(June 20, 2014 at 9:12 am)Heywood Wrote: Debating if fetuses are human beings is like debating if the earth is round. You are correct in that we should not be debating whether or not fetuses are human beings as this is completely obvious(except to the stupid and incredulous). Personhood has a place in the debate I think so I disagree with you there.

No, it shouldn't. I said it before. This isn't about fetuses being persons or not. Rather, this is about fetus' rights (if they have any) vs host's rights.

Person argument is a red herring and, in my opinion, disingenuous.

The claim would be that it is personhood that grants moral protection and not simply being a human being. I don't agree with that claim but I don't think it is a stupid or incredulous claim(like the claim that a fetus is not a human being).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 5285 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 2428 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 11449 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 18479 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 18963 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2307 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 18922 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
  What is wrong with this premise? Heywood 112 21957 February 21, 2015 at 3:34 am
  The foundations of William L. Craigs "science" proven wrong? Arthur Dent 5 1406 July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  "God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting evil" Freedom of thought 58 19157 December 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought