Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 7, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Abortion is morally wrong
RE: Abortion is morally wrong

Dr. R.J. Anderson: "The question certainly isn't when life begins or even human life begins. The question is when does a growing cluster of cells, an embryo, or fetus, become an actual human? Is it at conception, in the first or second trimester? Or is it when it is truly viable outside the mother's body, when it can survive without her own biological system? I, for one, would suggest that it is precisely at that time when it becomes truly human, and more than a "parasite" dependant on the life of another for it's survival. Then is when it is deserving of protection."

Wink Shades

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(June 24, 2014 at 9:23 pm)Arthur123 Wrote: Esquilax, as I have been arguing throughout this thread that in order to be consistent in attributing rights to human beings we must consider fetus' human. My argument is deductive argument and unless you can defeat one of the premises leading to the conclusion the conclusion can be said to be true.

Now lets address your argument, the crux of it, is that of intellectual brain states is the deciding factor in deciding human value. I say this is patently false, for one thing it shifts the idea of human value from intrinsic to extrinsic value which I believe is problematic. For example, coma patients who are not conscious, or baby born with defects have either no right to life or mitigated rights to life. Lets imagine a man whose consciousness shuts down every ten minutes during this time is it permissible to kill him? I would hope your answer would be surely not! Furthermore, since it is a part of a human it is as arbitrary as saying upright walking is the only factor that can deem right to life. Its an arbitrary reasoning through which the sufficient factors of being human are.
Let's imagine the man in the coma never had an idea because he never had a developed brain. Let's imagine he does not have the ability to experience pain for the same reason. Let's imagine that the person responsible for this never-thinking, never-feeling man already has a real life full of real problems. I'd say, pull the plug. The existence and comfort of real people should always be more important than hypothetical ones.

If not, then every moment you spend not shooting your sperm into a viable female constitutes implied murder. So does the use of a condom. So does homosexuality. So does abstinence. But there's a problem. If we all spent all of our time trying to enable the existence of every possible human being, then the world would be covered with unwanted and unnecessary human beings. And since we've moved on from uncivilized tribes of thousands to developed nations of many millions, the enabling of all potential human beings must be considered an evil, rather than a good.
I just couldn't resist:

If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 24, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I just couldn't resist:

No one should resist this.

Cool Shades

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(June 24, 2014 at 9:23 pm)Arthur123 Wrote: Esquilax, as I have been arguing throughout this thread that in order to be consistent in attributing rights to human beings we must consider fetus' human. My argument is deductive argument and unless you can defeat one of the premises leading to the conclusion the conclusion can be said to be true.

Look, this is absolutely infuriating. Are you just ignoring me whenever I make this point? Are you deliberately dodging your burden of proof and then trying to shift that burden to us? Or is this just dishonesty, on your part?

You're making a claim: it's not up to us to disprove every random claim that you make, and you don't assume your claims are true, no. You need an actual argument in order to do that, and unfortunately for you, all you've done so far is dismiss legitimate arguments and then assert how great yours is, all the while attempting to shirk your burden of proof.

This is the third time I've explained this to you. If you continue along this line of reasoning I'll be forced to conclude that you're simply lying, now. Look up the burden of proof. Stop simply presupposing your arguments are correct, and stop dismissing things arbitrarily on the basis of "I think I'm correct, therefore you can't be." It's completely maddening, arguing with a person who'll just reassert what he's already asserted, over and over.

Quote:Now lets address your argument, the crux of it, is that of intellectual brain states is the deciding factor in deciding human value. I say this is patently false, for one thing it shifts the idea of human value from intrinsic to extrinsic value which I believe is problematic.

No, it'd just make the thing with intrinsic value the actual important part, the consciousness, rather than the useless meat. Or do you seriously see no difference between a human body with a dead brain, and yourself?

Quote: For example, coma patients who are not conscious, or baby born with defects have either no right to life or mitigated rights to life.

If the coma patient is brain dead, then his life support can be turned off. A baby born with sufficiently damaging defects can also be allowed to die. So... yes.

In fact, with regards to the coma patient and the child, decisions about medical care and their right to life is given to the next of kin, and they get the decision to switch off life support. A fetuses next of kin- and here we're talking about something that has never had a brain or a mind- is the pregnant woman, so... in that context, in the real world we actually live in right now, abortion is permissible.

Quote: Lets imagine a man whose consciousness shuts down every ten minutes during this time is it permissible to kill him?

If it keeps coming back online then we'd have reasonable observational evidence that his consciousness will return, and therefore, no. However, you're not talking about that, you're talking about a fetus, which doesn't even have the correct equipment to have consciousness yet.

Quote: I would hope your answer would be surely not! Furthermore, since it is a part of a human it is as arbitrary as saying upright walking is the only factor that can deem right to life. Its an arbitrary reasoning through which the sufficient factors of being human are.

Arbitrary? The human consciousness is all we are as people. Everything that makes us individuals is bound up in our mind, and when our mind is gone, so are we. That's why brain death is game over, for us. You're simply wrong, here.

Quote:Furthermore, fetus did not choose to be there they were placed.

Which is completely irrelevant. If you get catapulted into someone's house, against your will, then it's still okay for you to be ejected from that house. My rights don't suddenly vanish just because the person violating them isn't doing it of their own free choice.

Quote: Furthermore, through abortion the fetus' rights is violated in the worst possible way. Death. And please don't assume what my thoughts on issues are, you can always just ask Smile

So, if the fetus is simply extracted from the woman and then left to its own devices- whether it survives or not is up to it, as with any other person- would you be okay with that? Or are you just using this issue of rights as a convenient bulwark, when what you really care about is something else?

It's curious that you say I can ask, and then avoid actually giving an answer. Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Pro birthers are not arguing anything pragmatic anymore than zealous animal rights activists hate pounds, but don't have the money to adopt all the animals they want to save, then stupidly act like someone taking the animal to the pound is throwing a party over it.

It is simply a refusal to face reality and try to force a unrealistic utopia on society that will simply cause more problems.
Esquilax destroys another moronic argument.This is why you are on my sig bro!

a fetus has the sentience of a tadpole.therefore is not a person.
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

Gotta love the tadpole argument
(June 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Arthur123 Wrote: Hello, I am new to these forums and am interested in engaging in fruitful and intellectual stimulating conversations! Today, I am interested in the topic of abortion. I believe it to be morally wrong for non-religious reasons. Simply put, a fetus is a human being from the moment of conception since it belongs to the species homo-sapiens and is genetically complete in its information. I look forward to any responses!

Kindest Regards,

A woman that's considering an abortion knows that either she doesn't want to have a child or she is unable to take care of it. So we have to concider if it's morally correct to have a child that's not wanted or cannot be cared for, just because it's part of our species. The abortion seems like the better option for both of them.
Well, looks like Arty has abandoned his defense of his pathetically lame arguments.

Good riddance.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4419 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 2026 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 10012 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 16426 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 16290 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2096 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 17357 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
  What is wrong with this premise? Heywood 112 20128 February 21, 2015 at 3:34 am
  The foundations of William L. Craigs "science" proven wrong? Arthur Dent 5 1314 July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  "God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting evil" Freedom of thought 58 18149 December 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought