Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 7, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Abortion is morally wrong
RE: Abortion is morally wrong
(July 3, 2014 at 12:26 am)Polaris Wrote: Abortion (for non-medically necessary reasons) is wrong as is execution and war. If you're going to take the moral high ground, at least make it count.
You haven't established that anything at all is wrong, including execution and war. You haven't shown that life of any form has an intrinsic value other than the one we choose to place on it.

Well, some people place more value on the existing life of a teenager, and the years of attention and resources that have gone into raising her, than they do on a collection of cells with neither a name nor a brain. So if you're going to take a moral ground of any type, you'll have to explain why someone else needs to place the same value on a fertilized egg that you do.
(July 3, 2014 at 12:26 am)Polaris Wrote: Abortion (for non-medically necessary reasons) is wrong as is execution and war. If you're going to take the moral high ground, at least make it count.

Do you eat meat by any chance?

Okay, let's trade assertions, then:

No it isn't.

Got anything real? Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 3, 2014 at 4:53 am)Esquilax Wrote:

Okay, let's trade assertions, then:

No it isn't.

You must be a hit with neo-cons.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(July 3, 2014 at 4:53 am)Esquilax Wrote: Okay, let's trade assertions, then:

No it isn't.

lolwut?
(July 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(July 3, 2014 at 4:53 am)Esquilax Wrote: Okay, let's trade assertions, then:

No it isn't.

Are you going to tell us why abortion is immoral? Or why you think that your morals need to apply to everyone else? I don't think abortion is immoral and I don't understand why, if it is immoral, it would not also be immoral in cases of medical necessity. Also, is abortion immoral in the case of rape?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I don't understand what the frack Polaris is talking about. He's saying that abortion is wrong, then accusing someone who disagrees of being a neo-con? Does Polaris not know what a neo-con is, or am I missing a major point, here?
(July 2, 2014 at 4:23 pm)blackout94 Wrote:
(July 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: And I would ask for justification for that assertion because I think their position is unreasonable and tramples the rights of a good portion of the population to determine what happens to their own bodies.

A pro life freak would call you a murderer and dismiss your argument immediately.

And I would ask for justification for calling a woman who chooses to abort a murderer when they don't also say women who experience natural miscarriages are guilty of manslaughter.

Quote:My girlfriend's argument, for instance, is that from her perspective a fetus, being your future biological son

So... she'd be okay aborting daughters? Why does it matter if it's a son?

I'm going to carry on with this reply as though you had said "future biological offspring or child" since that's gender-neutral and doesn't bring in the issue of sex-selection abortion.

Quote:is more important than your whole life

I will be the judge of what most important in my life, not some random guy on an internet forum's girlfriend, thankyouverymuch. I'd be very pleased if you told her that. She does not get to make decisions for me. She gets to make decisions for herself.

Quote:she'd prefer dying from complications if it was a risky pregnancy than to have an abortion

And she is welcome to make that decision for herself. NOT for anyone else.

(July 2, 2014 at 5:09 pm)blackout94 Wrote: I think a big part of her reason is because she loves children, she wants to be a primary teacher or kindergarten worker, she can't cope with the act of aborting in it's essence

She can carry on loving kids and being a teacher and not infringing on the rights of other women to decide what happens to their own bodies. Those things are not mutually exclusive.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(July 3, 2014 at 7:11 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(July 2, 2014 at 4:23 pm)blackout94 Wrote: A pro life freak would call you a murderer and dismiss your argument immediately.

And I would ask for justification for calling a woman who chooses to abort a murderer when they don't also say women who experience natural miscarriages are guilty of manslaughter.

Quote:My girlfriend's argument, for instance, is that from her perspective a fetus, being your future biological son

So... she'd be okay aborting daughters? Why does it matter if it's a son?

I'm going to carry on with this reply as though you had said "future biological offspring or child" since that's gender-neutral and doesn't bring in the issue of sex-selection abortion.

Quote:is more important than your whole life

I will be the judge of what most important in my life, not some random guy on an internet forum's girlfriend, thankyouverymuch. I'd be very pleased if you told her that. She does not get to make decisions for me. She gets to make decisions for herself.

Quote:she'd prefer dying from complications if it was a risky pregnancy than to have an abortion

And she is welcome to make that decision for herself. NOT for anyone else.

(July 2, 2014 at 5:09 pm)blackout94 Wrote: I think a big part of her reason is because she loves children, she wants to be a primary teacher or kindergarten worker, she can't cope with the act of aborting in it's essence

She can carry on loving kids and being a teacher and not infringing on the rights of other women to decide what happens to their own bodies. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

And what do you want me to do? Force her to adopt my pro-choice view? That's not how it works. Abortion is probably the matter she is less likely to change her opinion.

And for the 'son' part, I meant children, I wasn't defining a gender, it was accidental.

With a little of talk maybe I can convince her otherwise, but it won't matter anyway, I don't have a problem with pro-life people because abortion is something that doesn't apply to me (I'm a male), so I don't care about it, I voted for a party that is against abortion because they proposed the best economical measures that benefit me more, you can call me selfish but I don't give a shit about people being pro-life. If they like embryos so much, I will let them like embryos, as long as they don't make me love embryos too.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 3, 2014 at 4:32 am)Irrational Wrote: Do you eat meat by any chance?

But, but, but.... Gawd gived us dominnin ovr teh dum aminals!!!! An', he tuld us too bee fruutfull an' do that there times thingy!!!! So, tha's whut makes eatin' meet ok but killin' the unborned babbies bad!!!!!!!!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4419 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 2026 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 10012 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 16426 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 16290 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2096 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 17357 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
  What is wrong with this premise? Heywood 112 20128 February 21, 2015 at 3:34 am
  The foundations of William L. Craigs "science" proven wrong? Arthur Dent 5 1314 July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  "God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting evil" Freedom of thought 58 18149 December 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought