Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving the Bible is false in few words.
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words.
(May 17, 2010 at 11:43 am)tackattack Wrote: 1- We do have a choice to the material world, it's called delusion.
2- I won't answer for Fr0d0 but I'll answer my opinion on God = goodness. I believe God is an absolute value residing outside the boundaries of the known universe and relative to our observations within it. That value is usefull to us in that he guides us towards developing true love and betterment of society.

1. Being deluded in the sense that you're using the term is rarely, if ever, a choice.

2. What is an 'absolute value' supposed to be? How can something that lies outside of the boundaries of the known universe be a guide to anything?

My suspicion is that the sort of terminology that fr0d0 and yourself use when talking about god- 'positive entity', 'absolute value' and so on, is actually quite meaningless.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
1- almost a valid point, excluding psychodelic drugs.
2- If absolute, the sum whole, perfect in relation to imperfection. In the same was we use the magnetic poles to navigate or used to use the sun to tell time.

Meaning is largely due to function, IMO. So the function of God would be to give us a better way to navigate through this universe. Better of course being relative.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Proving the bible is False in a few words???

EASY...it's written on the cover

BIBLE = I BE LIE
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm)tackattack Wrote: 1- almost a valid point, excluding psychodelic drugs.
2- If absolute, the sum whole, perfect in relation to imperfection. In the same was we use the magnetic poles to navigate or used to use the sun to tell time.

Meaning is largely due to function, IMO. So the function of God would be to give us a better way to navigate through this universe. Better of course being relative.

1. The effects of psychedelics are very unpredictable. Not believing in material reality is one possible effect of taking them, but its an unlikely effect. So if someone takes LSD they aren't choosing to not believe in material reality- they're choosing to do something which may (but much more likely won't) cause them not to believe in material reality.
2. Afaics this is complete gibberish.

Your final point about the function of god is interesting, but has no relevance whatsoever re. the question of his (non)existence.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
your questions were
a-What is an 'absolute value' supposed to be?
b-How can something that lies outside of the boundaries of the known universe be a guide to anything?

to which I will answer
a- If absolute, the sum whole, perfect in relation to imperfection. An example would be a perfect circle in which every atom of the lines that make the visible circle were completely even and balanced.
b-In the same was we use the magnetic poles to navigate or used to use the sun to tell time. I could also use the analogy of us using the stars to navigate. Just because something is out of our comprehension and reach doesn't negate it's usefullness.

If that's still gibberish I don't know if I can help you. As far as God existing... I don't claim he does based off proof so I can't help you there.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Rwandrall Wrote:...However it is far from perfect and i will need the help of my fellow atheists to plug the holes...
To me this is the wrong approach. It shouldn't be about winning an argument with theists, but about getting to the bottom of things. I've often been accused on this forum of being unbending in my arguments, and of trying to change people's minds. But it's never been about winning an argument for me. It's always been about getting to the truth. If all I'd relish was winning an argument, then I would be intellectually dishonest, because I would be trying to sell points that I don't really believe just to win. The point is I believe everything I say, and until someone changes my mind that's how it'll be.
The Truth is ...

"it's ALL relative"

The rest is just smoke and mirrors and humans just being opportunistic humans.

All your religions are just a mind fuck, sanctimonious drivel... on how to control by use of fear and threat.

Hoping this clears a few things up for youDevil
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 19, 2010 at 4:02 am)tackattack Wrote: I doubt you could clear much about religion for me KichigaiNeko.. (btw I have to constantly spell check your name, any nick names you will accept?)

Tacky...are you a professional victim??

(May 19, 2010 at 4:02 am)tackattack Wrote: but I'm open to th possibilities.

What? On how to be a professional victim, brain dead and in need of a 'sky daddy' to tell you what to do and how to think? Or just being another opportunistic human??

(May 19, 2010 at 4:02 am)tackattack Wrote: So if all "my" religions aren'using fear, threat, reward, aren't drivel or seeking to control people's minds/ political structures, or taking advantage what is it then?

You idiot...religion, politics, ARE being used to control peoples minds and thinking. English isn't your first language is it?? Thinking

You should consider going into politics yourself...so far you have proved yourself to be a great "spin doctor" (putting words into peoples mouths and then claiming a misunderstanding {how VERY religious of you}) Angry

We heartily would like to shoot them here in Aus....the messy clean up has always been an issue thoughDevil
You'll need a wrench with this one Tacky Wink
(May 19, 2010 at 4:36 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You'll need a wrench with this one Tacky Wink

What??? Confusedhock:

Not the ENTIRE TOOL SET??

Fr0d0 you do me wrong baby!!Angel Cloud

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2919 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 45078 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2367 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The implications of Obama's words at the Charleston shooting memorial. Duty 21 2043 April 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5709 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1787 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian trigger words Nihilist Virus 173 21970 April 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8819 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2607 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 24120 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician