Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Image Problem With Atheism in America
RE: The Image Problem With Atheism in America
(August 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm)Endo Wrote: Either way, HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE OP?

Read the entire thread and you will understand how it got to this.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(August 9, 2014 at 12:36 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote:
(August 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm)Godslayer Wrote: Hard to tell whether we should ban Polaris or make him president of the forums Tongue

I don't understand why you would want to do either.

Bad joke on my part. Just trying to ease the tension, didn't work.

(August 9, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Baqal Wrote: @Godslayer
-Hard to tell whether we should ban Polaris or make him president of the forums Tongue
What happened with the more rude version of this post?
Don't think I didn't see it.

If you insist I share that, sure. I had originally said he's a fuckwit who should be banned for stupidity and blatant infractions of failed reading comprehension in multiple threads. Happy now?
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
(August 9, 2014 at 4:02 pm)Baqal Wrote:
(August 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm)rasetsu Wrote: @Baqal:
No offense, but I find your style of quoting obnoxious and irritating. Italic text is harder to read than plaintext, and you tend to underquote text making it hard to follow the context (and because your style doesn't include links to the full text, recovering the full context is made very difficult), the framing provided by visual elements of the standard quoting enhance readability, meaning yours are harder to read, and the deviation from uniform standards means that every time someone comes across one of your posts, they have to take time figuring out exactly what you're doing with your quoting. You make things harder on the rest of us just because of a mere preference. You're like a driver going the wrong way down a one-way street solely because, "he likes it that way."
If everyone wears a bird's nest with eggs on their heads, would you do it too?
And, guess what? I'm convinced. I hope no one addresses this again because it is getting off-topic and annoying.

Funny how that works. People would wear nests on their heads BECAUSE other people were wearing nests on their heads. That's how cultures and traditions work.
(August 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote:
(August 9, 2014 at 2:38 pm)Polaris Wrote: You can disagree with the religion of Islam, but insulting the people

I have lost count of the amount of times I have denied that I insult muslims. Shall I do it again? I don't insult muslims, I insult their customs.

(August 9, 2014 at 2:38 pm)Polaris Wrote: or the customs they adhere to makes you a bigot.

Really? So you don't think that stonings, oppression of women and suicide bombings warrant insults?

Have you found any evidence of me lying yet? If not, you know what I want.
I'm not going to let this slide, the more you ignore it, the worse it becomes.

Your own posts betrayed your lie, posts that I quoted of which you decided to forget you made. The only difference between yourself and the worst of the Southern Republican Christians is the fact you're not Christian. Don't you have some minorities to suppress or something?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm)rasetsu Wrote: @Baqal:
No offense, but I find your style of quoting obnoxious and irritating. Italic text is harder to read than plaintext, and you tend to underquote text making it hard to follow the context (and because your style doesn't include links to the full text, recovering the full context is made very difficult), the framing provided by visual elements of the standard quoting enhance readability, meaning yours are harder to read, and the deviation from uniform standards means that every time someone comes across one of your posts, they have to take time figuring out exactly what you're doing with your quoting. You make things harder on the rest of us just because of a mere preference. You're like a driver going the wrong way down a one-way street solely because, "he likes it that way."

/rant

To me the annoyance is on the level reserved for someone who drives at a cautious 20 mph below the speed limit. But quote tags would really help. (Believe me no one would complain if they didn't think you might have content worth reading.)
(August 9, 2014 at 6:14 pm)Polaris Wrote: Your own posts betrayed your lie, posts that I quoted of which you decided to forget you made. The only difference between yourself and the worst of the Southern Republican Christians is the fact you're not Christian. Don't you have some minorities to suppress or something?

What lie? Why is it so incredibly difficult to get you to express the lie that you think i'm saying? To the best of my knowledge, I didn't lie about anything. And I don't think anyone else understands what you are talking about either. You seem to be the only one who thinks I have lied about something, so please tell us what that lie is.

P.S. Thank you for no longer calling me American or implying that I'm homophobic. However I am disappointed that you are now implying that i'm racist. I suppose I would be wasting my breath if I asked you to provide evidence of this?

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(August 9, 2014 at 1:13 am)Polaris Wrote: [...]

considering I actually spent some time in the South.

[...]

One day in an airport doesn't qualify you much, kid. I spent several different days in Heathrow ... would you value my opinion of Limeys?

(August 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm)Godslayer Wrote: Hard to tell whether we should ban Polaris or mock him for blatant stupidity

Fix'd

(August 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(August 9, 2014 at 1:13 am)Polaris Wrote: [...]

considering I actually spent some time in the South.

[...]

One day in an airport doesn't qualify you much, kid. I spent several different days in Heathrow ... would you value my opinion of Limeys?

(August 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm)Godslayer Wrote: Hard to tell whether we should ban Polaris or mock him for blatant stupidity

Fix'd

I lived 5 years south of the Mason-Dixon Line as I have previously stated and I also stated several Deep South states I have also spent several days to weeks in....Texas (really not considered the South anyway, more of the Southwest United States) was just a state I used to travel through America (a hub for Oneworld affiliates....since the last time I flew in the US, the American airline I used went bankrupt) of which I actually did visit Dallas as again, I stated earlier to you.

Bad Wolf, you need to go about your distrust against Islam more against the religion than the people.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm)Polaris Wrote: Bad Wolf, you need to go about your distrust against Islam more against the religion than the people.

Ok, you are just trolling now. There is no possible way that you don't know that that was my position all along. After explaining it on at least 3 seperate occasions....no, you're trolling.

Oh btw, still waiting on your explanation as to what I was lying about and for you to provide the evidence. Either that or you retract your accusation and apologise.

I was being serious when I said I wouldn't let this go. I will continue asking until you respond with a satisfactory answer.

No, I'm being a humanist. I am not about to insult a Moslem for being a Moslem and don't even agree with their teachings, but I respect their freedom to live as they do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 5576 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are Atheists in America ok with cannibalism through consent Kaloomi 67 12328 June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 25690 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1236 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29144 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Destruction of America by Atheists Loading Please Wait 25 4687 December 5, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Quixotic
  Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe? TheMessiah 19 4724 June 6, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Is Atheism truly frowned upon in America? TheMessiah 21 5863 February 10, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13375 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12646 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite