Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 4:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why knocking is so important.
RE: Why knocking is so important.
Mr. Dritch,

I'm sorry if I persist on a matter you feel satisfied. It is likely my ignorance in the matters of the bible and Christianity. Or I equally apologize if I've simply equated your absents to my question with your already abundant time consumption. But I'm afraid, once more deeply sorry for your time, I've not understood.

Are the methods by you which you teach, instruct, the same as those used, employed, by Christ in the bible?

Again sorry for my misunderstanding. I only seek understanding from you.
(August 21, 2014 at 1:13 am)StealthySkeptic Wrote:
(August 21, 2014 at 12:58 am)Stimbo Wrote: What, me worry? Roddy McDowell could beat the snot out of that any day and twice on Sunday.

Now be afraid. Be very afraid.

[Image: dapespos.jpg]

Of a chimp shagging a horse while beating it over the head with an automatic rifle?

Actually that is pretty intimidating.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 21, 2014 at 1:14 am)Goosebump Wrote: I only seek understanding from you.

Good luck.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:Mr. Dritch,

I'm sorry if I persist on a matter you feel satisfied.

Don't apologize to Drippy...he'll take it as a sign of weakness. If you think he is insufferable now that would only make him worse.
I've asked a sincere question and I think he (Drich) has the integrity to provide me with a sincere answer. I'm happy to ask again if my question was miss understood the first time.

I should not place the burden of doubt on him understanding my question. Rather I should strive to make it more clear so he can better answer it. i'm sure he will in due time.

I thank you both for your advice and concern.
(August 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 20, 2014 at 7:08 pm)oukoida Wrote: Oh yes? Then scholars all over the world will be glad to hear your absolute proof of his existence.
"Scholars" dont have an issue with the acknoweledgement of jesus.

The fact of the matter is the why it happened is less important than the fact that if one questions Jesus then everyone with less provenance of that time period also comes into question. Thats why "scholars" do not have issue with the existence of Jesus.
It would be like calling into question the existence of julius Caesar.
It's not the quantity of sources that counts. It's the reliability of those. Even not counting the books he himself wrote, there is plenty of archeological evidence for the existence of Caesar.
And while it's likely that a man called Jesus existed and was crucified, there's no way of knowing that the gospels are an accurate description of what he did.

Anyway, the point was not the existence of Jesus as much as your confirmation bias. Something that you haven't addressed on this whole thread. Even if you say the contrary. Because if you did in a rational way, we wouldn't be here asking you about it.

Drippy Wrote:ROFLOL i bet. Because verse 13 destroys your arguement. Christ very clearly tells us what we are asking for and what God is offering. But i guess you already know that huh?
(August 20, 2014 at 3:33 am)oukoida Wrote:

I already quoted that verse and nothing is more vague than that. You lying sack of shit.

(August 21, 2014 at 2:34 am)Goosebump Wrote: I've asked a sincere question and I think he (Drich) has the integrity to provide me with a sincere answer.

Tell you what mate, he hasn't.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 20, 2014 at 5:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote: So Drich, some 25 pages later, nothing to say to the accusation that it's all in your head, huh?

clicky here to refresh your memory:

You havent asked me anything.

You made an assertion that its in my head, and you started a dialog by quoting someone else thoughts.

I did not even read what you had to say as it was not addressed to me.

hmm...so it has to be in question form and with the appropriate quote to your text? damn, your rigid!
One would think you'd read everything someone writes in a thread you created and reply to whoever you feel you should.
You see, maybe it's my netiquette, but I consider the Original Poster of any given thread as a host at a meeting. Even if two persons in that meeting are talking to each other, you should listen to both of them and give your opinion, as long as it concerns the subject of the meeting... if not, then you should ask them to be quiet.

Anyway, I see you're still not addressing the possibility that it's all in your head.
Oh, I must use a question, right then!
Q: Have you ever considered the possibility that the A/S/K methodology taps into a well known and easily exploitable mental state which exists in most of humanity's brains?

Doesn't it make you wonder why the same methodology can be applied to any religion? Or why it can be applied to any claim which a particular person cannot disprove? Or even why it can be applied to brainwashing?
(August 20, 2014 at 11:40 pm)Drich Wrote: Yep, by design. Otherwise only one of us need knock and the rest would have to believe.
That doesn't make sense. God cannot simultaneously want everyone to be saved, yet guarantee that few will be by deliberate action (or non-action) on his part.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(August 21, 2014 at 3:58 am)oukoida Wrote:
(August 21, 2014 at 2:34 am)Goosebump Wrote: I've asked a sincere question and I think he (Drich) has the integrity to provide me with a sincere answer.

Tell you what mate, he hasn't.

Let's let him decide that. Benefit of the doubt.
His track record doesn't leave much doubt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 623 39800 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The most important reason I'm xtian Jacob(smooth) 64 16093 December 11, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Why is faith important? Question Mark 120 36195 March 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Faith more important than Reality? superstarr 19 7124 July 1, 2010 at 4:51 am
Last Post: superstarr