Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith more important than Reality?
Faith more important than Reality?
Many claim to say that Faith is stronger than things in the Real World. Like when Jesus in the bible states that with Faith, nothing will be impossible to you, and that it's stronger than things in real life like facts, proof and evidence. Is this statement true? Contradictory? Fallacial? What is it really?

I'll give an example. A Christian gets told that the bible is self-destructive and the person responsible for telling that Christian that the bible is self-destructive shows to that Christian the inconsistencies in the bible that proves it being self-contradictory. Then, the Christian claims that "It doesn't matter what you think. With my Faith in the bible, there are no inconsistencies." (This was part of a real-life arguement between me and this one christian)

Either they are stubborn, ignorant, or just plain-out stupid.
RE: Faith more important than Reality?
No....they can be all 3.
Faith is the word they use to excuse the act of self-delusion. "I have faith!" means, "I believe, because I believe!"
Some people are just very attached to their beliefs. And you can see why:

- Their beliefs are central to their sense of self-identity- 'A christian is who I am'.

- They've bought into the religion = morality line of bullshit. 'In order to be a good person, I must be a christian'.

- In most of the US, at least, its socially unacceptable not to be religious. 'All of my friends and family are christians, so I should be one too'.

How much do truth and evidence count against these sort of considerations? Not necessarily much. Most people would prefer to keep their self-identity, be moral and have friends- even if, at the back of their minds, they know that its all based on falsehood.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
For some faith simply overrides reality. No matter how many fossils are found, no matter what physical laws underpin reality, no matter what historical evidence you bring up, no matter the lack of evidence for their assertions, no matter the evidence that piles up against the effectiveness of prayer, faith will prevail despite all of that.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: For some faith simply overrides reality. No matter how many fossils are found, no matter what physical laws underpin reality, no matter what historical evidence you bring up, no matter the lack of evidence for their assertions, no matter the evidence that piles up against the effectiveness of prayer, faith will prevail despite all of that.

We call that delusion.
Faith may not always be positively delusional, but it's certainly irrational. What's rational about believing in things without evidence by "having faith"? The way we judge the rationality of a belief is by evaluating the evidence - so with evidence chucked out the window then how the fuck can a belief be ever said to be "rational"?

EvF
You seem to conveniently assume, superstarr, that there really are contradictions in the bible that would challenge it at all. If this were true, then your conclusions would indeed be damning. shame then we have to call you back to reality.
(June 27, 2010 at 6:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: You seem to conveniently assume, superstarr, that there really are contradictions in the bible that would challenge it at all. If this were true, then your conclusions would indeed be damning. shame then we have to call you back to reality.

Earth calling fr0d0:

The bible is full of contradictions. Theres a nice list of them here.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote:You seem to conveniently assume, superstarr, that there really are contradictions in the bible that would challenge it at all.

There is no 'convenience' at all. They are there. Plain as day. For anyone who has his/her head out of their ass to see.

Just man-made shit, Frodo. Like the koran, the book of mormon, and the Book of the Dead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 34688 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13071 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11432 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58420 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4406 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6131 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4364 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29226 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2123 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8868 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus