Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 12:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
RE: Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
(September 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: Why do you think I should be "embarassed"? Because I've been researching information and I'm asking for others opinions on it? Oh yes, I'm so ashamed!

To start with, your posts have been loaded with fallacies.

God of the gaps, equivocation, strawmen, false analogy, to start, but I'm sure there more.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 11, 2014 at 1:00 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(September 11, 2014 at 12:55 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: It just seems that according to astrophysics, in order for the "scientific fact" of general relativity to be absolute, we need to assume 96% of all reality is unknown and undetectable substances that have been called "dark energy" and "dark matter". It is also claimed that "unknown stuff" is moving around us and through us at all times. How are you so sure that this doesn't influence our genetic expression and has nothing to do with any "god" intelligence that exists? Why so confident?

1. You're confusing science, the method, with things people believe based on the scientific method.
2. Logical falacy "how can you be sure X DOESN'T". You can't draw conclusions based on other peoples willingness to assert a negative. How can you be sure I didn't come into your house last night and use your toilet? You can't, not really SURE.
3. The question is not therefore why we might think it DOESN'T so much as why you think it MIGHT.

If there's pee on my toilet seat and the paper is off the roll and I know I didn't do it, I would question the possibility that someone used my toilet.
(September 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: Why do you think I should be "embarassed"? Because I've been researching information and I'm asking for others opinions on it? Oh yes, I'm so ashamed!

A model for what we see here:

1. Unconscious incompetence - you don't know you are incompetent
2. Conscious incompetence - you know your limits
3. Conscious competence - you know what you know
4. Unconscious competence - complete mastery

You're running at level 1 from what I'm reading. That is embarrassing for you.
(September 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: What about the 96% of reality that is said to be "dark matter" and "dark energy", that we know absolutely nothing about. It's supposedly moving around us and through us all the time. How about evidence from epigenetics saying that everything in our environment having the ability to influence the expression of our genes on a day-to-day basis? Is this not enough to question the possibility? If not, why not?

It's not, because a hole in our understanding is not positive evidence for some other thing.

... Positive evidence is positive evidence of things. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(September 11, 2014 at 1:24 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote:
(September 11, 2014 at 1:00 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: 1. You're confusing science, the method, with things people believe based on the scientific method.
2. Logical falacy "how can you be sure X DOESN'T". You can't draw conclusions based on other peoples willingness to assert a negative. How can you be sure I didn't come into your house last night and use your toilet? You can't, not really SURE.
3. The question is not therefore why we might think it DOESN'T so much as why you think it MIGHT.

If there's pee on my toilet seat and the paper is off the roll and I know I didn't do it, I would question the possibility that someone used my toilet.

[Image: 2710.png]
...What.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Quote:The absolute nature of the claims made by scientific fundamentalists seem to depend upon current technology and the accumulation of observation, experience, and opinion formed by those deemed worthy of forming such an opinion.

Infinitely superior to some fucking moron who clasps an ancient book of bullshit as if it is "true."
You would question that possibility? Or perhaps you misspoke?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You're using concepts we do not yet fully understand to ask us to jump to conclusions. I, for one, will never conclude based on incomplete knowledge. That's just silly. Doing so would promote stopping the search. Where would we be if stopped searching based on inconclusive evidence?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Dude, OP. Science changes ALL THE FUCKING TIME!

Once, science said there was once a land bridge between Europe to North America. Now we know better and science changed. At one point, science was convinced that the atom was the smallest particle that could exist and then we discovered electrons, neotrons and protons.... and then we went a little deeper and discovered the sub-atomic particles that those are made from. Again, science chaged.

If you can provide evidence that science, as we know it now, is wrong, please, publish your findings and present it to a scientific journal. Sure, it will be questionable at first; all scientific findings are. But if it's true, it will hold up to questioning and replace old science.

But when new science does hold up and prove itself right, we don't reject it; we accept it because we would rather be correct than right.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
And not all atheists "believe" in science.
I live in the bronze age so I don't know much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 8181 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 17463 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  [Serious] Atheist Dogma Prof.Lunaphiles 296 23812 April 23, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3867 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 10006 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  One more dogma to add to the rest. Little Rik 102 23263 August 30, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2689 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6977 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4234 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2708 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska