Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone want to debate this formally with me?
RE: Anyone want to debate this formally with me?
Quote: There is an important distinction.

Only to the irrational.
To be able to debate something I think you need to define terms.

What do you mean by

(a) God
(b) Belief
© Irrational
(d) Proof

Because if you are using the informal definitions, then believing something for which there is no good evidence is irrational, so not much of a debate. Can I prove that it's irrational? Well, depends what you mean by prove. I just proved it by writing that sentence, which is consistent using informal definitions.

So I can't understand how your position makes any sense unless you can be more specific. For example, if you are defining god to be "whatever causes the universe to start" then you are making a tautology to say that the cause of the universe is god. Also it makes the unfounded assumption that the universe has a cause. But I can only guess what your definitions are.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Belief in God is irrational in at least the following two ways:
1. The terms purported to constitute the metaphysical monster: atemporal, non-spatial, immutable, transcendent, omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, infinite, etc. Concepts are useful for the very reason that they cut and divide; their meanings are derived from their uniqueness, their separation, their distinctive features. To say that God is unlimited or infinite in any of the traditional characteristics typically attributed to him is to essentially declare God boundless. However, you cannot say that God is THIS without excluding him from THAT, or in other words, without placing limitations on his nature; to do so contradicts God's infinity. Thus, you run into a problem of eliminating the essential feature that gives a concept meaning, which is boundary, that which distinguishes it apart from other concepts.
2. On top of requiring meaningful content, a belief may be considered rational only if it is demonstrable that the premises from which the conclusion is drawn are true. One may ASSUME certain premises and rationally hold that the conclusion follows, but one cannot maintain that the assumed premises are rational without inference to experience. Here, with any proposition approaching God, we're given no such ground, as--by definition--such a being, or to put it another way, being such, transcends experience.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(November 4, 2014 at 12:58 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Not everything is about having an argument.

(November 4, 2014 at 1:04 am)Exian Wrote: Debates usually are...right?

Someone not using a mobile please put up the Monty Python "Argument Sketch" for Mystic's benefit.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't think that premise is worthy of debate. The irrationality of faith can be shown with one exchange:

What's your evidence?
I don't have any, but --
Okay.

(November 4, 2014 at 7:37 am)Stimbo Wrote: Someone not using a mobile please put up the Monty Python "Argument Sketch" for Mystic's benefit.
My pleasure.

Sum ergo sum
(November 4, 2014 at 1:51 am)Exian Wrote: Whateverist, I hereby challenge you to a formal, on-going snide remarks on the side contest that rolls in and out as the mood strikes us, for the remainder of our time here at AF.

Oh this is so on! Challenge accepted.

By the way, I appreciate the level of specificity in your challenge. If either of us makes a forced snide remark at a time when the mood clearly had not stricken us, it should be ruled a point for the other side .. don't you think?
OK well, here's another argument:

Are there some things that can exist without having been created?

If yes, how do you know the universe isn't one of those things?

If no, then god needs a creator, his creator needs a creator, and so on into an infinity of creators.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 4, 2014 at 9:33 am)robvalue Wrote: OK well, here's another argument:

Are there some things that can exist without having been created?

If yes, how do you know the universe isn't one of those things?

If no, then god needs a creator, his creator needs a creator, and so on into an infinity of creators.

Believing something for which there is no evidence, even indirect evidence, is irrational. Your turn.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(November 4, 2014 at 11:09 am)Chas Wrote: Believing something for which there is no evidence, even indirect evidence, is irrational. Your turn.

Am I irrational if I believe my neighbor when he tells me he saw a mouse in his basement?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 409 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4524 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 31139 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5936 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 11012 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4124 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1194 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Am I the only one who doesn't want to be called a "Skeptic"? Heat 35 9900 January 11, 2016 at 4:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5253 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5490 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor