Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1)
(November 29, 2014 at 3:46 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: To be entirely honest I don't understand why he is having such a hard time with this. I mean strip away all the fluff from the gospels and you basically have a 2000 year old Joseph Smith. Nothing extraordinary about that, the roman empire was full nutty cults and cult leaders.

Exactly.

Let's move on already.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote: James Tabor. A real quack, arguing for a Jesus dynasty.

James Tabor supports Simcha Jacobovici's asinine 'jesus tomb' in Talpiot. His credibility has thus taken a severe hit.

In 1996 the Jesus Seminar released its analysis of xtian bullshit.

http://www.westarinstitute.org/projects/...-of-jesus/

Even this collection of theological con men found that:

Quote:Of the 176 events examined:

Only ten were given a red rating (indicating that the Fellows had a relatively high level of confidence that the event actually took place)
Nineteen were colored pink (suggesting that the event probably occurred)

The combined number of red and pink events (29) amounts to 16% of the total (176). That is slightly lower than the 18% of the sayings—primarily parables and aphorisms—assigned to the red and pink categories in The Five Gospels.

The deeds of Jesus the Fellows voted as most likely to be authentic are:

The Beelzebul controversy
A voice in the wilderness
John Baptizes Jesus
Jesus proclaims the good news
Peter’s mother-in-law
The leper
Paralytic and four
Call of Levi
Dining with sinners
Sabbath observance

Why these particular pieces of shit are considered authentic and other pieces of shit are not is a mystery as all derive from the same source. Nonetheless, when studied by leading jesus freaks of the day it looks like old jebus didn't do so well even among his biggest fans.

Imagine what WE think of them!
(November 29, 2014 at 3:46 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: To be entirely honest I don't understand why he is having such a hard time with this. I mean strip away all the fluff from the gospels and you basically have a 2000 year old Joseph Smith. Nothing extraordinary about that, the roman empire was full nutty cults and cult leaders.

This too is why I've become a Jesus Mooter. Beyond the fact that I've grown fatigued with dancing the Scholars Say Shuffle a million times, this is the debate they want to have, which is why he isn't moving on.

They want to be able to appeal to scholarly consensus for a change, to spend the whole debate however long it lasts posting "scholars say..." over and over again, to try to paint the skeptic as the screwball and to shift the burden of proof in to their court with a little slight-of-hand.

Everyone has noticed I hope that as soon as I said, "OK, some guy named Yeshua lived around that time, was a cult leader and ran afoul of Roman authorities; now prove all the claims of divinity and miracles" he immediately started ignoring me. He's well aware he has jack shit for evidence apart from some fallacious appeals to folklore and a few arguments from personal incredulity.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:

This too is why I've become a Jesus Mooter. Beyond the fact that I've grown fatigued with dancing the Scholars Say Shuffle a million times, this is the debate they want to have, which is why he isn't moving on.

They want to be able to appeal to scholarly consensus for a change, to spend the whole debate however long it lasts posting "scholars say..." over and over again, to try to paint the skeptic as the screwball and to shift the burden of proof in to their court with a little slight-of-hand.

Everyone has noticed I hope that as soon as I said, "OK, some guy named Yeshua lived around that time, was a cult leader and ran afoul of Roman authorities; now prove all the claims of divinity and miracles" he immediately started ignoring me. He's well aware he has jack shit for evidence apart from some fallacious appeals to folklore and a few arguments from personal incredulity.

I agree. This is why I'm eager to see part 2
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(November 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Everyone has noticed I hope that as soon as I said, "OK, some guy named Yeshua lived around that time, was a cult leader and ran afoul of Roman authorities; now prove all the claims of divinity and miracles" he immediately started ignoring me. He's well aware he has jack shit for evidence apart from some fallacious appeals to folklore and a few arguments from personal incredulity.

Same reason he shifted focus the moment I pointed out the second hand nature of all his sources, and now we're endlessly talking about (and shifting between whenever it's convenient for him) abiogenesis and consciousness. Randomly switching topics seems to be H_M's go to tactic, and I think we can tell which ones have really hit home when we just don't hear about them again after they've been brought up.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Similarly he dropped Josephus like a hot brick after some of us picked at the glue holding it together.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I agree. This is why I'm eager to see part 2

Assuming it ever comes, here's my prediction:

1. "Would they have died for a lie?"
2. "The accounts of his resurrection happened too soon to be a lie."
3. "Nobody cried 'FALSE' with the accounts, which must mean it's true."
4. "Jerusalem was real. Pilate was real. So..."
5. "The tomb is empty. So how'd that happen, huh?"
6. "Women were the first witnesses, which they wouldn't have done if it had been a lie."
7. "Either Jesus was a liar, a lunatic or he was LORD".

Do I need to take these arguments apart? The flaws should be obvious.

Hey HM, did I miss anything?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
The empty tomb is my favourite; I do hope it comes up again. "Look - there it isn't!"

It's like a popular character in an American sitcom. It gets a round of applause every time it appears.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 29, 2014 at 6:22 pm)Stimbo Wrote: It's like a popular character in an American sitcom. It gets a round of applause every time it appears.

Can't wait for the empty non existing tomb with it's different descriptions in the gospels.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Oh, I like the women best.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 52 3779 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 5794 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8812 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3853 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 4065 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1650 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3982 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 3240 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 18782 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2385 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda