Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide
RE: Suicide
(December 16, 2014 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote: What are you talking about?

God is a title not a name.
As in God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

So, are you pagan or not?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(December 16, 2014 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote:
(December 15, 2014 at 10:30 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Since the son is the father, and the son is a god, he could not be separated from himself. Even if you wish to construct some imagined structural separation from his father god, because he was a god in his own right, he would have been infinitely powerful and complete so that separation from another god is without significance. If he has self hatred for something his creation does or did, then he would be as crazy as any mental patient. He endured nothing because his endurance is infinite. He suffered nothing because his ability to withstand any suffering is infinite.

It is all such a silly story..

Oh, and here is a rofl for you..

ROFLOL

What are you talking about?

As in God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

What a fucking nonsensical dodge. I wasn't referring to a damn title, I was referring to the qualities of a deity. Re-read the above. I said that jesus was "a god" so obviously it didn't refer to a title.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(December 16, 2014 at 6:24 am)Tonus Wrote:
(December 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm)Drich Wrote: Hell is seperation from the Father.
But Jesus is the father. Unless this is a reference to what you say a bit later, that Jesus "put his deity aside," in which case he was separated from the father the whole time he was on Earth. And the notion of hell as a separation from god is a choice on the part of the wicked based on their rejection of god, which Jesus doesn't do. Thus his separation from god was not the same thing, which we know because he is able to use god's power during his time on Earth.

And the idea of god's timelessness doesn't mean that three days in hell were literally like 3,000 years in hell. One would hope that god had better control over his perception of time. Then again, if he "put aside his deity" then those three days would have just been three days unless we assume that for some reason he decided to keep the part where a day seems to last forever (no DMV in those days to simulate that, after all).

Where does the bible say Jesus is the Father?

(December 16, 2014 at 11:26 am)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(December 16, 2014 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote: Define triune deity.

Lrn2Google.

I need your defination as it does not pertain to a biblical defination.

(December 16, 2014 at 1:34 pm)KevinM1 Wrote:

As in God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

So, are you pagan or not?

"Religious Views: Christian"
C'mon, Drich. You're not going to finish what you started?
(December 16, 2014 at 1:38 pm)Brakeman Wrote:

As in God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

What a fucking nonsensical dodge. I wasn't referring to a damn title, I was referring to the qualities of a deity. Re-read the above. I said that jesus was "a god" so obviously it didn't refer to a title.

Maybe you should read what you wrote.

Brokeman Wrote:Since the son is the father, and the son is a god, he could not be separated from himself.
again, God is a title not a name. Your opening statement presupposes that God the Father and God the Son are one being. Therefore everything that follows is based on this incorrect assumption. So Again Brokeman, God is a title not a name (meaning the word God does not address one deity or being, it addresses (in this case) 3 beings that share one office or rank/title.) this statement invalidates everything else you have to say based on the incorrect assumption that God the Father and God the son are indeed one consciencnousness.

Quote:Even if you wish to construct some imagined structural separation from his father god, because he was a god in his own right, he would have been infinitely powerful and complete so that separation from another god is without significance. If he has self hatred for something his creation does or did, then he would be as crazy as any mental patient. He endured nothing because his endurance is infinite. He suffered nothing because his ability to withstand any suffering is infinite.

It is all such a silly story..

Oh, and here is a rofl for you..
Again sport, seeing show you don't understand the very basic concepts I have out lined Jesus is a seperate consciencnousness apart from the Father. This seperate being surrendered His deity as God as per Paul/Acts 10 to be born as a man, so that He maybe sacrificed as a physical representation of the Spiritual cost of attonement and salvation.

So again every thing you said here is across the board wrong in every since of the biblical standard. You have based your whole arguement on some failed Sunday school understanding that you yourself have proven wrong and yet try and challenge me with it?!?? if someone such as yourself can see through bad doctrine then Why challenge me with your own failed understanding of God?

Everything I believe comes from the bible. If you want to challenge what I believe then open the bible and start reading. However if you want to continue to present me with opportunities to post roflol emoti's then keep spouting what you believed as if it were any type of standard to what Christianity believes ROFLOL
(December 16, 2014 at 9:10 pm)Drich Wrote: Your opening statement presupposes that God the Father and God the Son are one being.
You guys are really hard to keep up with. Changing definitions on the fly is very tough to follow.

I thought the father, son and holy ghost were one deity. Are you now saying that there are three?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 16, 2014 at 8:44 pm)Drich Wrote: Where does the bible say Jesus is the Father?
What is your belief on who Jesus is? Is he god, as most Christians define him, or a separate being from god?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Sorry I missed this. On my tablet sometimes your posts are hidden for some reason.
(December 15, 2014 at 2:59 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: [quote='Drich' pid='818827' dateline='1418615695']The action is complete on the 'mother's' end. (God has done all He can do for a sentient being.) Now it is up to the child to push away the saving efforts of his parent.

Quote:For whatever reason, the child resists or refuses to be saved, because children sometimes do weird and irrational shit. The mother shrugs and walks away, allowing the child to be run down.

Is the mother no longer responsible for the safety of her child just because the child may protest her attempt to save him from mortal danger? Does the mother get to say "My child deserves it. I told him not to go out into the street"? Would that be the sentiment of a good person?

Additionally, is it not one of the highest, most noble and heroic and good acts, to go so far to save another's life as sacrificing your own existence?
Imagine a mother and father that has done everything they could to keep their kid from drugs and bad influences. Up roots the family to a better school/neighborhood, find suitable after school programs, tutors, and the like.. Then the kid turns 16 finds a BF who is into drugs and runs cross country with him...

Imagine a mother who runs out into the road to save her child, pushes the child to safety, while she takes the hit, then imagine the ungrateful turning right around and running back into the road.

In either situation is a parent of either of these children expected to go the extra mile and put themselves in harms way again and again?

Now imagine the same parents same situation, but someone else's child... A child who hates the parents and wishes I'll on the parents of the children we are speaking of.

Christ Himself illustrates this division with the parable of the wheat and tares.
If your not aware a Tare looks just like a stalk of wheat up until it ripens. Instead of producing a golden eatable kernel a tare produces a black uneatable seed. In the parable a farmer sows good seed and his enemy sows tares along side the good seeds. When the plants grow it becomes appearent that some of the harvest are tares, but rather risking up rooting the wheat alongside the weeds, Jesus says the farmer lets them grow together only to be seperated at the harvest.

Here the point: just because you grow along side wheat doesn't make you wheat./doesn't make you one of God's children.

Quote:why should God care about what happens to those who do not belong to Him especially when caring for those who hate Him and His followers will disrupt what God wants for those who belong to Him?
Quote:I dunno, love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek, etc.?
which is second to Love your Lord God with all your being. One can not hold to one and ignore the other greatest command, and still expect to be in God's Grace.

Quote:A being which would let a person suffer or die just because that person doesn't love them isn't a being that deserves the presumptive title of "ultimate good". That kind of being is just a petty bastard who favors sycophancy.
ROFLOL

So if a dozen hard core ISIS members wanted you and your family to put them up for a couple of months you'd be good with that?

(December 16, 2014 at 9:15 pm)IATIA Wrote: You guys are really hard to keep up with. Changing definitions on the fly is very tough to follow.

I thought the father, son and holy ghost were one deity. Are you now saying that there are three?

How many national governments does the United states have governing the country's affairs?
How many branches of the one government does the government have?
Executive
Judicial
Legislative
(3)

How many Gods are there?
Of the one God how many individuals?
Father
Son
Holy Spirit.
(3)

What is so hard about that?

(December 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm)Tonus Wrote: What is your belief on who Jesus is? Is he god, as most Christians define him, or a separate being from god?

Again God is a title not a name.

God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit.

Three indivisuals
Father
Son
Holy Spirit

All share one title "God."
(December 16, 2014 at 9:30 pm)Drich Wrote: Imagine a mother and father that has done everything they could to keep their kid from drugs and bad influences. Up roots the family to a better school/neighborhood, find suitable after school programs, tutors, and the like.. Then the kid turns 16 finds a BF who is into drugs and runs cross country with him...

That's falsely equivocating. To make the child older is to put humans and God on the same level. Compared to your God, we have the intelligence and capabilities of an infant or small toddler.

Quote:Imagine a mother who runs out into the road to save her child, pushes the child to safety, while she takes the hit, then imagine the ungrateful turning right around and running back into the road.

Like I said, kids do crazy and irrational things sometimes. That would still change nothing for me. My father hates me. He has been pretty awful to me over the course of my life and has shut me out because of our differences, but in spite of all the anger and hurt I feel towards him, I still love him and want nothing but the best for him. Why can't God be like me? Am I wrong to not reciprocate his behavior?

Quote:In either situation is a parent of either of these children expected to go the extra mile and put themselves in harms way again and again?

I would, absolutely. I would sacrifice my life for my child, without question or complaint, and I would never put my child in debt as a result of it. It's my kid.

Quote:Now imagine the same parents same situation, but someone else's child... A child who hates the parents and wishes I'll on the parents of the children we are speaking of.

For this metaphor to work, you have to admit that God is not my creator.

I would like to think that I would risk my life to save anybody from imminent danger. That, to me, represents optimal goodness, a standard to which I should strive to achieve. I would do it to save your life, or GC's life, or Waldorf's life. I would do it to save just about anybody, or at least, I hope I would have that courage to act according to my convictions when it really mattered. I would never intentionally stand by and refuse to save anybody just because they didn't like me. As far as I'm concerned, you can't get much more evil than that.

Quote:which is second to Love your Lord God with all your being. One can not hold to one and ignore the other greatest command, and still expect to be in God's Grace.
That answer is not relevant to the question.

If God is the ultimate standard of goodness, why does he expect us to treat our enemies better than he treats his? That sounds paradoxical; we are expected to literally be better than perfect.

Quote:So if a dozen hard core ISIS members wanted you and your family to put them up for a couple of months you'd be good with that?

Why is it that whenever I ask why God can't or doesn't do something, instead of answering the question, you ask why I can't or don't? Am I on God's level, with God's capabilities? Should as much be expected of me as of a being far more capable than myself?

You always love to say that you are happy to answer questions about your God, but you sure aren't answering any of mine. Can it be that you are afraid of what the answers imply?
(December 16, 2014 at 9:30 pm)Drich Wrote: How many national governments does the United states have governing the country's affairs?
Executive
Judicial
Legislative
(3)

How many Gods are there?
Father
Son
Holy Spirit.
(3)

What is so hard about that?

Executive - 1
Judicial - 9
Legislative - 435+100+5+1=546
(556)

Father - I assume one
Son - I assume one, but then you got the Judicial branch wrong.
Holy Spirit. - I assume one, but then you got the Legislative branch wrong.
(3)

OK. I got this now. There are three separate gods that together belong to the god government. The father is the pres, the son is the court and the spirit is the law.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1574 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 40839 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do Christians worship a suicide victim? madog 101 11842 July 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Merzer
  Did Jesus Commit Suicide By Cop Nope 61 14593 February 10, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist