Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide
Suicide
Got your attention.

Just wondering, if god knows everything and took human form intending to be crucified, is not that tantamount to suicide?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Suicide
Yeah, but more like a failed suicide as he didn't die properly. He popped back up again like some cheap magician who sawed his assistant in half.

So I guess you'd call it a cry for help from an irate God who isn't getting enough attention.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I just noticed the other suicide thread. I probably could have tagged that one without hijacking, but ... shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
This is a bit different though, that thread was about real suicide.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 14, 2014 at 10:40 am)IATIA Wrote: Got your attention.

Just wondering, if god knows everything and took human form intending to be crucified, is not that tantamount to suicide?

Is a mother rushing out into traffic to save a child considered suicide?
What about a soldier jumping on a grenade to save his squad?
What about a firefighter running into the second tower on 9/11 after the first one collapsed?

Like wise Christ died to save us from death/eternal.
There is a difference between spur of the moment and premeditated.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
That's true. And since he knows everything, he has been planning it for an infinite amount of time.

What a nob jockey.

Index of my best videos
(December 14, 2014 at 11:08 am)IATIA Wrote: There is a difference between spur of the moment and premeditated.

Fire fighters don't train themselves for years to run into a building while everyone else is running out? Some intend to spend a life time doing this very thing. Many on 9/11 did.

The same is true for the soldier, and an arguement can be made for the mother. While the indivisual desisions may have been made in a relative short amount of time when compared to an infinite past, I would say if one's duty or love is that strong to have themselves sacrifice themselves for another, these people would do this no matter how much time they had to think about it.
It was suicide by centurion.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Firefighters do not go into a fire with the intention of dying. A soldier does not go into battle with the intention of dying. A cop does not do their job with the intention of dying.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1470 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 39711 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do Christians worship a suicide victim? madog 101 11221 July 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Merzer
  Did Jesus Commit Suicide By Cop Nope 61 14224 February 10, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist