Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Christians worship a suicide victim?
Do Christians worship a suicide victim?
In my experience Christians tend to state that their "Jesus" chose to allow the crusifiction and had the power to stop it?

Is that suicide or delusion? 

People do envoke suicide by willfully making a sudden threatening move when in the sights of police marksmen to knowingly end their own life ....

Personally I find that a cowards way out, as they could have ended their own life without involving others .... Apparently this "Jesus" character could have saved his own life with Woo as some other suicide victims could have saved their own life by not making a sudden move ....

Dog.
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
RE: Do Christians worship a suicide victim?
The modern equivalency is 'suicide by cop.'
(June 17, 2016 at 11:37 am)Minimalist Wrote: The modern equivalency is 'suicide by cop.'

LOL .. that was the phrase I was looking for   Smile
If Jesus existed, he was most likely just a slightly deluded con-artist/preacher/cult leader, who over-reached himself, became inconvenient for the authorities and paid with his life. I don't think he meant to die any more than the protagonist of "The Life Of Brian" did. And just like Brian, he'd probably be pretty miffed to hear his supposed friends and followers calling his crucifixion a voluntary one. 

[Image: ?width=448&version=1524523]
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(June 17, 2016 at 11:50 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: If Jesus existed, he was most likely just a slightly deluded con-artist/preacher/cult leader, who over-reached himself, became inconvenient for the authorities and paid with his life.  

I agree with you, but I suppose what disturbs me is that a religion sprang up on the back of what story tellers considered a suicide.

I have no personal issue with suicide, but when those making that choice involve others to make it fit their own agenda I find it distasteful ...

If this "Jesus" character wanted to kill himself for his imaginary "father" (in his delusion himself), why did he need to involve so many innocent bystanders?
https://youtu.be/NUHk2RSMCS8
I seem to remember a verse where Jesus asks Yahweh to "let this cup pass from me". So it wasn't that he wanted to do it. He was just doing what he was told. Like a suicide bomber that does that he does because he'll get 72 virgins afterwards. He could have gotten off, but that would make daddy unhappy. We all know what happens when daddy is unhappy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 17, 2016 at 12:37 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I seem to remember a verse where Jesus asks Yahweh to "let this cup pass from me".  

As far as I can make out from the fairy tale is that there were many events leading up to his death where he knew different actions would have saved his life ... I have no problem with a character taking their own life, just that he involved so many others in his demise.

If he was so honorable and needed to die why not just jump off a cliff and leave everyone else out of it?
Jesus Christ may be compared to a situation where someone must be murdered in order for someone else to survive. 

For example a parent and a child.

Do you think the parent should be willing to be murdered to save their child ?
So, it probably wasn't a suicide at the time, but since his followers imbue him with godhood (including omniscience and omnipotence) it is a suicide since jesus saw it coming and could have stopped it but didn't and since his followers don't like the idea of a suicidal god being, they deny it was a suicide.

I'm starting to understand the roots of Mormonism . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1487 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Would they worship a chair? Fake Messiah 20 1462 April 26, 2021 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When logic fails, falsely play victim. Brian37 9 1060 January 31, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The ethics of worship Nihilist Virus 42 5130 October 11, 2020 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1769 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7800 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 39864 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Well, shit... Now who are supposed to worship? Cyberman 20 4529 July 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Praise GOD !!!! A Jesus your Vorlon would worship !!!!!! vorlon13 7 1337 April 22, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31224 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy