Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 12:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
And Kate Mulgrew, who narrated the 'documentary,' posted this to her Facebook page:
Quote:"I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused. Kate Mulgrew"
Imagine that: lying scumbags lied to people in order to get them to lie for them. That's the kind of person I would trust to teach me the secrets of the universe, for sure.

It also seems as if Krauss wasn't interviewed for the 'documentary'; he was quote-mined:
Quote:For all who asked: Some clips of me apparently were mined for movie on geocentricism. So stupid does disservice to word nonsense. Ignore it.
Time for snowtracks to backtracks, methinks.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 6, 2015 at 12:51 pm)robvalue Wrote: Like wouldn't an explosion kill things, not evolve them? Huh.

You may have a future in the xtian apologetics business.
(February 6, 2015 at 1:28 pm)LostLocke Wrote:
(January 9, 2015 at 2:26 am)snowtracks Wrote: The film brings before the public eye astonishing results from recent large-scale surveys of our Universe which disclose surprising evidence of a preferred position in the cosmos, aligned with our supposedly insignificant Earth. http://www.theprinciplemovie.com/about/
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/...ciple.html
Yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath on the movie 'proving' anything....
Your link took me to a blank page.

I watched the trailer out of curiosity. It said nothing of course, but I did recognize most of the people from other such trash as "Alien Conspiracies" and the like. I am sure Snowud and Haytrax are cumming in their pants. Maybe even GC.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(February 6, 2015 at 10:17 am)Chas Wrote:
(February 6, 2015 at 1:25 am)snowtracks Wrote:

Explain what about the Cambrian?
Darwin had hoped later fossil discoveries would eventually eliminate what he regarded as the one outstanding anomaly associated with theory. Ref: Origin of Species, page 307 (I have it on E-book as that). The anomaly he was referring to was the Cambrian Period - (ref. Burgess Shale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgess_Shale) - wherein appeared in the fossil records was ’disparity’ (major differences in form, phyla level) without prior ’diversity’ (minor diff. among organisms, species level ).
The future fossil evidence he had hope was never realized. Been 150 years old man, time to call it a day.

(January 17, 2015 at 3:17 am)dyresand Wrote:
(January 17, 2015 at 3:16 am)snowtracks Wrote: You’d need about 10,000 shuttle main engines in sequence just to build up a decent speed (say, 1/100th light speed).http://www.businessinsider.sg/how-to-travel-to-alpha-centauri-2015-1/#.VLoLZWd0zGh
and such a boring trip.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/techno...at_prt.htm

that is all.
warp speed it is...give him the space speed limitations and energy requirements and he counters with sci fi.
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
I love learning about science.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 7, 2015 at 2:37 am)snowtracks Wrote: Darwin had hoped later fossil discoveries would eventually eliminate what he regarded as the one outstanding anomaly associated with theory. Ref: Origin of Species, page 307 (I have it on E-book as that). The anomaly he was referring to was the Cambrian Period - (ref. Burgess Shale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgess_Shale) - wherein appeared in the fossil records was ’disparity’ (major differences in form, phyla level) without prior ’diversity’ (minor diff. among organisms, species level ).
The future fossil evidence he had hope was never realized. Been 150 years old man, time to call it a day.

You need to support your contention that Darwin was referring to the Cambrian since that does not appear to be in the text.

What is your evidence?
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(February 7, 2015 at 2:37 am)snowtracks Wrote: The future fossil evidence he had hope was never realized. Been 150 years old man, time to call it a day.

Yes, of course. Everyone knows that empirical evidence which has not been found within the space of precisely 150 years has thereby been shown impossible. No such evidence will ever be found and whatever such evidence would have supported must therefore be given up. No more talk of 'evolution'. Forget Darwin. Guess we'll have to go back to Genesis to get our talk of origins back on solid ground.[/sarcasm]
Do christians really see things as a two horse race between evolution and genesis? Is their world really that simple? Sure seems that way to me.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 7, 2015 at 2:37 am)snowtracks Wrote: Darwin had hoped later fossil discoveries would eventually eliminate what he regarded as the one outstanding anomaly associated with theory. Ref: Origin of Species, page 307 (I have it on E-book as that). The anomaly he was referring to was the Cambrian Period - (ref. Burgess Shale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgess_Shale) - wherein appeared in the fossil records was ’disparity’ (major differences in form, phyla level) without prior ’diversity’ (minor diff. among organisms, species level ).

Except that we have plenty of explanation of the Cambrian period, both in fossils, and in other areas. They're here, though I doubt you'll even bother to click the link. For example, oxygen levels- which have a positive correlation with diversity in Eukaryotic life- rose just prior to, and during the Cambrian period, due to reaching a saturation point that allowed it to exist as a gas. Additionally, sufficient ozone to protect against incoming UV light formed around that time too; you don't think that those two factors, both of which are correlated with increased diversity among biological organisms, might have contributed toward the increased diversity among biological organisms in the Cambrian period? Thinking

Just pretending there's no explanation for this is lying, Snowy. Not that this is a surprise from you, at this point; unthinking scrabbling to defend the indefensible via arguments from ignorance is your stock in trade.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Maybe this theory will intrigue Snowy to check it out.

Quote:Snowball Earth[edit]
Main article: Snowball Earth
In the late Neoproterozoic (extending into the early Ediacaran period), the Earth suffered massive glaciations in which most of its surface was covered by ice. This may have caused a mass extinction, creating a genetic bottleneck; the resulting diversification may have given rise to the Ediacara biota, which appears soon after the last "Snowball Earth" episode.[122] However, the snowball episodes occurred a long time before the start of the Cambrian, and it is hard to see how so much diversity could have been caused by even a series of bottlenecks;[42] the cold periods may even have delayed the evolution of large size organisms.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2478 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1439 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4172 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2990 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10399 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1839 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15422 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6388 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9955 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19315 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer