Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 3:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
RE: How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
(March 12, 2015 at 5:34 pm)AtlasS2 Wrote: Well, let me put it straight to you. Growing up in the middle east makes you see things, that usually you won't see in the west.

Quite right. Something we can agree on. Camel fucking isn't part of sex education here.
(March 11, 2015 at 4:47 am)AtlasS2 Wrote: I wasn't discussing the circumference of earth, or the greek philosophy of viewing earth as "a coin" with ending borders ; mostly referred to as "the end of the world". It's about earth being a sphere ; a ball, is so different than assuming the obvious observation that earth is round.

What an odd argument, that everyone (ancients included) recognize that the earth is round, but nobody until Mohammed specifically connected round to spherical?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of...stic_world
Quote:The Indian mathematician Aryabhata (AD 476 - 550) was a pioneer of mathematical astronomy. He describes the earth as being spherical and that it rotates on its axis, among other things in his work Āryabhaṭīya.
http://Muhammad (Arabic: محمد‎; c. 570 – 8 June 632[3])
Quote:Muhammad (Arabic: محمد‎; c. 570 – 8 June 632[3])

So a guy who died 20 years before big Mo was born wrote about the earth being spherical, yet a book that Mo dictated, (presumably during his lifetime) later transcribed, which (with some artful choices of translation) can be sort of assumed to say that the earth was a ball (if you squint?)

There are probably people in my own city who don't know that the earth is a sphere, and probably always have been. So what? The scholars who publish first (e.g. Aryabhata vs Mohammed) get the glory.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Yeah, that's assuming Mohammed even said the Earth was spherical. He never did in the Qur'an.
According to the Quran, Allah says you should turn your face towards Mecca when you pray, yet I don't see many Muslims doing handstands when they pray.

[Image: Where+muslims+prayers+goes+so+much+waste...827194.jpg]

Apparently there is a setting place of the sun too, where it sets (presumably every night) in a muddy puddle, which is hardly something you'd expect a god who created the universe and knows the earth is spherical to say...
Or...

It's a gigantic pile of hogwash hay in which there may be a few needles which vaguely reflect reality. If you dress them up in little needle clothes and give them a backstory.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 13, 2015 at 5:05 am)jesus_wept Wrote: According to the Quran, Allah says you should turn your face towards Mecca when you pray, yet I don't see many Muslims doing handstands when they pray.

[Image: Where+muslims+prayers+goes+so+much+waste...827194.jpg]

Or - Prayers follow geodesics and Muhammad invented differential geometry!1!!1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Right! If Muslims were serious about it, they'd do a bit more detailed calculation and then strap themselves to something at an angle, so they are praying at the floor, through the earth and then on to Mecca. Or are prayers affacted by gravity and so will bend round?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I don't know, you need to do some general religiosity calculations for that...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Pointing out the tangential prayer problem highlights how the ritual is based in redundant systems of knowledge. I never thought about that before Smile New ways to mock religion, yay!

Index of my best videos
Gravity is testable so it can't be that, presumably it must be something indistinguishable from magic instead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection] : "Joseph; he came to you before with the clear proofs". WinterHold 62 6694 June 28, 2024 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Muslims , please answer this . Enlightened Ape 13 2536 August 13, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims zebo-the-fat 19 4765 October 14, 2020 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  [Quranic Reflection]: What should Muslims do when the verses of God are made fun of? WinterHold 37 6627 September 9, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Remember]: how the Spanish infedels treated Muslims WinterHold 146 15733 August 8, 2020 at 4:18 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Muslims: If the Koran is Unaltered... chimp3 57 10150 April 21, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Flat Earth and other scientific errors in the Quran Fake Messiah 4 1215 January 19, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  For being religious, Muslims sure lie a lot! Jehanne 12 1953 October 20, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should muslims obey infidel leaders in non islamic countries? Rika82 6 1216 September 13, 2018 at 4:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Can muslims even be artists or game developers if imagery is forbidden? Rokan 0 568 August 29, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Rokan