Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana Pizzeria Won't Serve Gay Couples
RE: Indiana Pizzeria Won't Serve Gay Couples
What the hell was the point of passing the bill in the first place then? If they have to explicitly say business owners can't use it to deny service, what "religious freedom" were they trying to "restore"?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(April 2, 2015 at 11:26 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What the hell was the point of passing the bill in the first place then?  If they have to explicitly say business owners can't use it to deny service, what "religious freedom" were they trying to "restore"?

Well, the amendment wouldn't exist without the huge backlash the state incurred since passing the bill. This isn't a redundancy, it's a cowardly backpedal away from these supposedly sincere beliefs, because the almighty dollar is more important.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Well that's just hilarious!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 2, 2015 at 11:30 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(April 2, 2015 at 11:26 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What the hell was the point of passing the bill in the first place then?  If they have to explicitly say business owners can't use it to deny service, what "religious freedom" were they trying to "restore"?

Well, the amendment wouldn't exist without the huge backlash the state incurred since passing the bill. This isn't a redundancy, it's a cowardly backpedal away from these supposedly sincere beliefs, because the almighty dollar is more important.

Exactly.  The intent behind the bill originally (not that the GOP will ever admit this) was to provide legal cover to service providers who couldn't deal with the pain of placing two brides or two grooms on a fucking cake.  They didn't anticipate the backlash, and when it became evident that their stunt was going to cost the state serious money and prestige, the GOP -- party of bedrock principles that they are -- couldn't pull a 180 fast enough.

Now someone please explain to me how this supposedly business-friendly party could be so culturally blind as to not see this coming.  It's craven idiocy from start to finish.
Conservatives' secondary religion, Christianity, is only important as it serves to promote their primary religion, the Almighty Church of Amassing Wealth and Power. In any conflict between the two, the needs of the primary religion will be the determining factor.
...it is common knowledge that the upper third, centered in Flagstaff, is Alta Arizona; the lower third, centered in Tucson, is Baja Arizona; and the middle third, centered in Phoenix, is Caca Arizona. Simple as ABC...

http://www.bandersnatch.com/bajaz.htm
This came across my feed on facebook this morning:

Story About First Business to ‘Publicly Vow to Reject Gay Weddings’ Was Fabricated Out of Nothing
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/04/01/sto...f-nothing/

Quote:Perhaps, you say, they brought this upon themselves, seeking out publicity for their strict biblical views.

Eh…no.

Some cursory internet forensics shows how it happened…or rather, how it was made to happen.

ABC-57 reporter Alyssa Marino’s editor sends her on a half-hour drive southwest of their South Bend studio, to the small town of Walkerton (Pop. ~2,300). According to Alyssa’s own account on Twitter, she “just walked into their shop [Memories Pizza] and asked how they feel” about Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Crystal O’Connor says she’s in favor of it, noting that while anyone can eat in her family restaurant, if the business were asked to cater a gay wedding, they would not do it. It conflicts with their biblical beliefs. Alyssa’s tweet mentions that the O’Connors have “never been asked to cater a same-sex wedding.”

It definitely puts a different spin on the story, but in the end I still think they should not be exonerated seeing as how immediately after the owner, Crystal O'Connor, says they'll serve anyone, she carries on to say that even though they've never been asked to cater any wedding, homo- or heterosexual, they wouldn't cater a homosexual one.

Had she not included this useless, unsolicited addition to her original statement of "we'll serve anyone" there would have been no public outcry and their doors would still be open.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(April 2, 2015 at 11:40 am)Desert Diva Wrote: Conservatives' secondary religion, Christianity, is only important as it serves to promote their primary religion, the Almighty Church of Amassing Wealth and Power.  In any conflict between the two, the needs of the primary religion will be the determining factor.

That's true.  The problem is that the conservative religious people who got in bed with the GOP didn't get the memo.  They think they're driving that train.  The GOP has been using conservative Christians for over three decades, and the Christers are too stupid to realize it.
(April 2, 2015 at 11:36 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Now someone please explain to me how this supposedly business-friendly party could be so culturally blind as to not see this coming.  It's craven idiocy from start to finish.

They're a bunch of fantasists who always act as though they live in the world they'd want to live in, rather than the one they demonstrably do live in?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 2, 2015 at 12:10 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(April 2, 2015 at 11:36 am)Crossless1 Wrote: Now someone please explain to me how this supposedly business-friendly party could be so culturally blind as to not see this coming.  It's craven idiocy from start to finish.

They're a bunch of fantasists who always act as though they live in the world they'd want to live in, rather than the one they demonstrably do live in?

You're getting the hang of this American thing quickly, aren't you?
Atheists must all kill people all the time! My religion tells me so! I don't care that it's not true, reality is a lie! Ahhhhhhh
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Won't Hear From The WLB On This One Minimalist 4 564 September 19, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  The WLB Won't Be Sucking Macron's Dick Anymore Minimalist 2 445 April 29, 2018 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Whoops...We Fucked Up. Why Won't You Help Us? Minimalist 10 1225 March 20, 2018 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Guess Indiana Has No Pressing Problems Minimalist 11 1772 December 31, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Gay couples denied full marriage benefits in Texas Aoi Magi 18 2869 December 8, 2017 at 4:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Uncle Vladdy Won't Like This Minimalist 3 456 July 31, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Yay. We Won! Minimalist 13 3965 July 10, 2017 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  And the Shovel Won! Minimalist 22 6018 July 1, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Something To Think About - But We Won't Because We Never Do Minimalist 6 2010 June 28, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Oh My, This Won't Work Out Well Minimalist 26 9383 June 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13