Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something To Think About - But We Won't Because We Never Do
Something To Think About - But We Won't Because We Never Do
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...e-obsolete

Quote:How America’s Aircraft Carriers Could Become Obsolete

Modern missiles make them vulnerable. A $13 billion price tag makes them expensive. New technology may make them unnecessary.
RE: Something To Think About - But We Won't Because We Never Do
This is something military thinkers have been thinking about for a while. Like any other weapons system, carriers too will face obsolescence. The advent of powerful and very precise ballistic missiles means that their future is sure clouded.

But Generals and Admirals usually fight the last war, not the next. Between submarines firing precision munitions and drones small enough to be launched from smaller platforms, the carrier is surely doomed to history's scrapheap. The question is only "when?"

What war is the Congress fighting?

Quote:Despite these strategic shortcomings, there’s still a political reality to wrestle with: The Navy’s largest ships remain politically untouchable. The carrier retains a mystique throughout the military and Congress; it’s an 1,100-foot giant that’s become a uniquely American symbol of dominating military power. Among the fixed-wing carrier-equipped nations, Italy has two, while Brazil, China, France, India, and Russia each field one. The United Kingdom is building two, including the HMS Queen Elizabeth, which commenced sea trials this week.
-adding to the above, we have ten in service, one in reserve, and two under construction.  We have more carriers...than the rest of the world combined.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We are obsessed with power projection.  How else can we fuck with people?
(June 28, 2017 at 10:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: We are obsessed with power projection.  How else can we fuck with people?

Space Cowboys
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 28, 2017 at 9:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What war is the Congress fighting?

Quote:Despite these strategic shortcomings, there’s still a political reality to wrestle with: The Navy’s largest ships remain politically untouchable. The carrier retains a mystique throughout the military and Congress; it’s an 1,100-foot giant that’s become a uniquely American symbol of dominating military power. Among the fixed-wing carrier-equipped nations, Italy has two, while Brazil, China, France, India, and Russia each field one. The United Kingdom is building two, including the HMS Queen Elizabeth, which commenced sea trials this week.

Duh -- they're fighting the war for votes delivered by getting jobs in their districts.

Anyone with half-a-brain knows that in the pork-barrel, the military is the biggest pig.

(June 28, 2017 at 10:19 pm)Khemikal Wrote: -adding to the above, we have ten in service, one in reserve, and two under construction.  We have more carriers...than the rest of the world combined.

And not just that -- our carriers are far more capable, in aircraft stowage, cruise range (nuclear power, y'know -- only the French have one as well), and yes, doctrine, given our own experience over the last ninety years.

They'll be useful for sometime yet -- but at a point soon to be reached, the cost-benefit analysis will be in the red.

(June 28, 2017 at 10:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: We are obsessed with power projection.  How else can we fuck with people?

I'd suggest spray-painting their disco-balls matte-black.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  But.. But.... But..... onlinebiker 25 1556 May 6, 2022 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How To Poison Yourself By Protecting Yourself From Something That Isn't Poisonous BrianSoddingBoru4 4 367 December 18, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1517 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Just A Dumb Ol Boys, never thinking at all. Brian37 10 1165 May 26, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Abortion Stats - Something doesn't add up. Minimalist 15 1414 November 23, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Naturally. The REMFs* Never Get Blamed! Minimalist 1 306 November 3, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Won't Hear From The WLB On This One Minimalist 4 534 September 19, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Something They'll Never Say About The WLB! Minimalist 3 373 August 26, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Never Fuck With A Billionaire's Money! Minimalist 5 639 July 29, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Tell Us Something We Don't Know Minimalist 14 1207 June 1, 2018 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist