Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
The bible and Nostradamus' book must have been really shitty value when they first came out. "Yeah, it doesn't make sense now, but just wait about four or five hundred years."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 8, 2015 at 12:40 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(May 7, 2015 at 8:00 pm)snowtracks Wrote: Words of the Bible and the facts of nature come from the same source, from God himself, who chose to make himself known.

How do you know the words of the bible came from God?

Well if all of nature came from god and nature includes people and people wrote the bible, then I think he has established an airtight loop.
(May 23, 2015 at 2:41 am)snowtracks Wrote: God’s two revelations (Scripture and nature) will agree when properly interpreted.
I'd point out how convenient that is, except that the Bible is so ambiguous and sloppy that after two-thousand years its most devout believers cannot agree on which interpretation is "proper."  Indeed, to this day many denominations continue to "reveal new truths" via changes in interpretation.  Nostradamus wrote a better 'bible' than Yahweh did.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 23, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Stimbo Wrote: The bible and Nostradamus' book must have been really shitty value when they first came out. "Yeah, it doesn't make sense now, but just wait about four or five hundred years."

False equivalence, but nice try though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
Yeah, I know what a false equivalence is, thanks. Doesn't change the point I was making one iota.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 10, 2013 at 10:11 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.

The current “theory” is that the universe came into being from some explosion called the Big Bang. The standard Big Bang theory does not match smoothness of the cosmic background radiation. So the theory of Inflation was added to the standard Big Bang. That is the latest conjecture of modern science.

Now there are many problems with this “answer” to the origin of the universe. If nothing existed before the Big Bang, then the Big Bang violates a number of principle and laws of science. It violates conservation of mass-energy. The energy went from nothing to all the energy of the universe. It violates cause and effect. Nothing never just explodes and becomes something. It violates all observations, since nothing never just explodes into something. It also does not explain the origin of the laws of nature or why there is even order in the universe.

If something existed before the Big Bang, then the origin question is not answered at all. If the universe always existed, then the 2nd law of thermodynamics says that all order disappeared an infinite time ago. But that is not the case. Also there is still no explanation of the origin of the laws of nature or why there is even order in the universe.

Only religion thinks it more meritorious to make up silly stories rather than simply admitting that we don't know everything! 

Now, read that sentence over and over again Smile
(May 23, 2015 at 3:41 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Yeah, I know what a false equivalence is, thanks. Doesn't change the point I was making one iota.

But then, I think it's pretty obvious that Snowy is just looking for any and all excuses to dismiss anything that doesn't agree with him completely, so this sort of gibberish shouldn't be too surprising. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No, not surprising at all. Though rather annoying (as my Sam would put it) and also insulting that he thinks that tactic might work.
For religious "prophecy" to be of any practical value, it needs to make some sort of prediction which is:

1) Non trivial: not a common event
2) Specific: where will it happen, and involving who
3) Dated: the event will happen at a particular point
4) Prior: the prediction must be clearly stated before the event occurs

I think if it doesn't at a minimum meet these points, it is nothing but vague horoscope drivel which anyone can retrofit to just about anything.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If these three prophecies happen then there might be a grain of truth to the fairy tale.

1. Sodom and its towns get rebuilt to their former splendor.

2. Egypt has no people in it for forty years.

3. All life forms in Judea/Isreal get exterminated.

If those things don't happen, and they haven't, then place your bet on them as BS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2575 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1455 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4233 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 3047 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10523 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1856 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15463 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6486 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9970 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19469 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer