Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
There is of course the problem of the self-fulfilling prophecy. If people know what a prophecy says, they can actively work to make it happen. So then it becomes not so much a prediction as a set of instructions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 24, 2015 at 4:12 am)robvalue Wrote: There is of course the problem of the self-fulfilling prophecy. If people know what a prophecy says, they can actively work to make it happen. So then it becomes not so much a prediction as a set of instructions.

Wasn't jesus supposed to have ridden into Jerusalem just to fulfil a prophesy.

Quote:Christ was following the Jewish custom for a royal entry. The animal on which He rode was that ridden by the kings of Israel, and prophecy had foretold that thus the Messiah should come to His kingdom. No sooner was He seated upon the colt than a loud shout of triumph rent the air. The multitude hailed Him as Messiah, their King. Jesus now accepted the homage which He had never before permitted, and the disciples received this as proof that their glad hopes were to be realized by seeing Him established on the throne.

So not so much prophecy fulfilment, more political spin.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 23, 2015 at 8:34 pm)francismjenkins Wrote: Only religion thinks it more meritorious to make up silly stories rather than simply admitting that we don't know everything! 

Now, read that sentence over and over again Smile

Yes. But he should do so while standing in the corner .. and just forget about going out for recess with the other children.
(May 24, 2015 at 2:36 am)robvalue Wrote: For religious "prophecy" to be of any practical value, it needs to make some sort of prediction which is:

1) Non trivial: not a common event
2) Specific: where will it happen, and involving who
3) Dated: the event will happen at a particular point
4) Prior: the prediction must be clearly stated before the event occurs

I think if it doesn't at a minimum meet these points, it is nothing but vague horoscope drivel which anyone can retrofit to just about anything.
The subject is biblical revelation revealing that the universe had a beginning, it’s expanding and the law of physics are fixed for the last 13 billion years*, millenniums before being verified by science. If that’s what your understanding is of prophecy, best to just go with that.

* ‘in the beginning…’, ‘ heavens are being stretched out as a tent’, ‘have established the fixed laws governing heaven and earth.’
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(May 27, 2015 at 11:44 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(May 24, 2015 at 2:36 am)robvalue Wrote: For religious "prophecy" to be of any practical value, it needs to make some sort of prediction which is:

1) Non trivial: not a common event
2) Specific: where will it happen, and involving who
3) Dated: the event will happen at a particular point
4) Prior: the prediction must be clearly stated before the event occurs

I think if it doesn't at a minimum meet these points, it is nothing but vague horoscope drivel which anyone can retrofit to just about anything.
The subject is biblical revelation revealing that the universe had a beginning, it’s expanding and the law of physics are fixed for the last 13 billion years*, millenniums before being verified by science. If that’s what your understanding is of prophecy, best to just go with that.

* ‘in the beginning…’, ‘ heavens are being stretched out as a tent’, ‘have established the fixed laws governing heaven and earth.’

A god is not required for the universe to exist no matter how hard you believe a god created it but no deity and or god created the universe.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(May 27, 2015 at 11:44 pm)snowtracks Wrote: The subject is biblical revelation revealing that the universe had a beginning, it’s expanding and the law of physics are fixed for the last 13 billion years*, millenniums before being verified by science. If that’s what your understanding is of prophecy, best to just go with that.

So, Snowy doesn't actually know what a prophecy is, seeing as how all the events he's talking about here happened before the text was written. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Indeed. Which I clearly stated as point number 4.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(May 28, 2015 at 1:51 am)robvalue Wrote: Indeed. Which I clearly stated as point number 4.

Again, it's not a prophecy, It happened 13 bya.  Prophecy a prediction of the future, not a verification of past events. Now go in the corner and repeat 100 times or until you understand.
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
OK. If it's not a prophecy, why did you bring it up?

You replied to me defining what a prophecy is, by giving an example of something that isn't a prophecy?

Index of my best videos
God must be pretty limited, if the best he could do as a description of the initial expansion of the universe was "stretched the heavens like a tent."

Although it sure sounds like the writer was describing how the sky was really a dome stretched over a flat disc, indicating some very wrong beliefs about how big his universe was, and how it was constructed.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2476 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1439 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4171 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2974 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10374 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1839 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15422 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6386 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9954 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19314 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer