Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
RE: Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
Quote:Dead bodies don't normally resurrect.

Right, but see, these are allegedly adults who believe in magic.
(July 6, 2015 at 7:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Dead bodies don't normally resurrect.

Right, but see, these are allegedly adults who believe in magic.
I know and it's finally starting to piss me off. There is magic, therefor all magic claim are likely true. There are acts of god, therefore all acts of god claims are true. Other spiritual beings exist but they likely didn't resurrect Jesus because Bible. Deadpan  Banging Head On Desk  Computer  Banghead Facepalm
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
See?  Before you get pissed off you start telling them that they are fucking infants for believing in childish bullshit.

Does wonders for the blood pressure.
Jesus didn't die.

He just respawned at his last save . . .

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
Before someone else does:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFnnmMuW8M-573Lcg1-RL...dPRvbCrx3A]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You know, we're actually on target here.

One annoying apologist has joined us recently, but he is somewhat countered by a decent theist in the form of Catholic_Lady.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(July 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Apparently Bart Ehrman and his colleague, James Rives, disagree with your position on Tacitus.

In a blistering response to Richard Carrier's negative review of Ehrman's book, Did Jesus Exist?, Ehrman addressed many of Carrier's objections and errors in great detail. The following on Tacitus should serves as a wake-up call for you Redbeard.

Ehrman writes:

(July 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Now, Redbeard, what about your own view that Tacitus was simply relying on hearsay from others?

If Ehrman agrees that the Tacitus passage mentioning Jesus is not a Christian forgery or interpolation, then what is it? An honest mistake by an otherwise scrupulous historian whose work is praised for its quality by scholars who specialize in that field?

Or something that is far more problematic for Jesus Mythicists: the truth?

I never said that the passage from the annals was forged or interpolated. I said it could be based on faulty history, and it might not even be that. It might just be a misunderstanding of Tacitus' tone and intention when writing that part of the Annals. The passage we're talking about names christians as a superstitious nuisance and briefly describes them as following a founder named Jesus who was crucified by Pontius Pilate.

He notes in the passage itself that he thinks christians are basically full of shit, so it's possible that he didn't take their beliefs seriously but still outlined them vaguely because he was writing, you know, a history book. Kind of pointless to name a group if you don't say anything else to describe them. Like I said before, though, early christians could have convinced Tacitus' generation of Jesus' historicity even if he wasn't a real guy, and that could be the reason Tacitus didn't blink at mentioning his crucifixion amongst the events of history. Personally, though, I'm leaning toward the idea that he was describing what the christians believed for the sake of briefly describing the cult itself, not for the purpose of claiming that Jesus was really crucified by Pontius Pilate.

At this point, we're both essentially appealing to authority and accepting differing views on what Tacitus wrote. To me, there's nothing about Tacitus' writings that guarantees the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, and there are various historians who agree with me for differing reasons, some of which are apparently more supported than others.

You also haven't really addressed the point that even if I were to concede a hypothetical where we pretend that the main-stream, historical opinion on Jesus of Nazareth's historicity is legit, that opinion is that he was a run-of-the-mill Jewish upstart who might have been baptized by John the Baptist and might have been crucified by Pontius Pilate. There is absolutely no mainstream historian who will try to claim there is evidence of Jesus' miraculous powers or his connection to god. In order to prove any of that, you have to look beyond mere existence.

Furthermore, you don't get to say, "Ok, he existed, and there's this history book about him called the bible, and it says that he did X. If he existed, and this history book said he did X, he must have done X."

The reasons for this are at least twofold. First, the bible is not a history book. It is a book of mythology. Mainstream historians agree that this is the case, just as mainstream scientists tend to agree that magic, in the supernatural sense, does not exist. The other problem is that the bible is the claim. All that crap about Saul changing is in christian writings, so you don't get to use that as evidence unless there's other reliable evidence of that, and even then it only proves he was probably hallucinating.

Even then, you have to put words in Paul's mouth through forgery and misinterpretation to make his writings reference the Human Jesus version of the gospel, which by the way is a point you said you'd bury me on and that you didn't touch (as far as I could tell). I'm waiting to get buried, dude. It doesn't seem to be happening.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Quote: I never said that the passage from the annals was forged or interpolated.

I said it.  And stand by it.  Randy threatens to hold his breath until he turns blue but all he can do is shout about all the "historians" who accept it at face value without an inkling of evidence that it is true.

1.  Not a single ancient writer makes reference to the passage.
2.  Not a single ancient writer - xtian or Greco-Roman - seems to know anything about Nero persecuting xtians because of the fire.
3.  A watered-down version of the passage appears in Sulpicius Severus' Chronica at the beginning of the 5th century but DOES NOT include the line which Carrier cites as the interpolation.
4.  The sole medieval manuscript shows under ultraviolet light that the word was "Chrestianos" ( followers of Chrestus) not "Christianos" (followers of Christ) and it was "corrected" by what was probably a helpful scribe who thought he was correcting the spelling.
5.  "Chrestianos" compliments the writings of Tacitus' contemporary Suetonius Tranquillus who commented upon jews instigated by "Chrestos" rioting in Rome during the reign of Claudius.

Randy will go into his monkey-like poo-flinging act over this but all we ever hear from him is the same old shit.

Meanwhile, it seems quite likely that the interpolation of that one line was done sometime between Severus' Chronica and the mid 9th century.

The reason for the interpolation was the same as Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum.  Xtians were embarrassed by the fact that their godboy made no impression on the historical record.
(July 6, 2015 at 11:20 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: He notes in the passage itself that he thinks christians are basically full of shit, so it's possible that he didn't take their beliefs seriously but still outlined them vaguely because he was writing, you know, a history book. Kind of pointless to name a group if you don't say anything else to describe them. Like I said before, though, early christians could have convinced Tacitus' generation of Jesus' historicity even if he wasn't a real guy, and that could be the reason Tacitus didn't blink at mentioning his crucifixion amongst the events of history. Personally, though, I'm leaning toward the idea that he was describing what the christians believed for the sake of briefly describing the cult itself, not for the purpose of claiming that Jesus was really crucified by Pontius Pilate.

Question for you redbeard, what do you think of the possibility that the Teacher of Righteousness may have been one of the people upon which the Jesus character was based?
(July 7, 2015 at 4:57 am)pocaracas Wrote: Question for you redbeard, what do you think of the possibility that the Teacher of Righteousness may have been one of the people upon which the Jesus character was based?

It's possible. I think it's much more likely that he was invented as a celestial fulfillment of the Prophesied David-descended Messiah that some group or another dreamed up because that messiah didn't come before the line of David stopped bearing fruit. In order for the prophesy to be possible at that point, they had to invent a god character, which later got turned into a human character.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 3374 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 8791 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 18747 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 17177 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 13135 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 40752 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach BrianSoddingBoru4 160 28309 July 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Obama and the simulated resurrection professor 116 19849 April 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) His_Majesty 1617 371535 January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Ad Neuseum) YahwehIsTheWay 32 7655 December 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: robvalue